1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

my uncle died in nyc just 2 days after showing symptoms. however some of my cousins seem to still not take it as seriously (though they're a small minority). you would think being killed just 2 days after contracting it would scare everyone into self lockdown.

btw what's the story with the one losing a leg from covid??

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Watching Alien Covenant, and as the ship is dying, the announcement, "all non essential employees report immediately". LOL. All non essentials report, get attacked by the virus, get slaughtered by aliens, and throw your life away for the essentials. Maybe that's how it should be done... but anyone thinking James Franco was going to be a more reliable and stable leader over Billy Crudup must be morons.

Ziggy, daywalker02 and tinman like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep, was wtf.... Those coming from the spores of some alien plant....

Franco's character was part of the team that worked with apes, then the virus came that made them more intelligent and the humans sick IIRC. That was another movie.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because gloves aren't any more effective than washing your hands. They are only effective if you literally change gloves every time you touch something, but sill only as effective as washing your hands.

YOLO likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobie's shut dineeee recently.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is the equivalent of gym shaming people who do an exercise wrong. At least they're TRYING. If it concerns you so much, use it as an opportunity to teach them how to do it right. Maybe you'll save a life.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think most people know how to wear the mask. What I see is people not covering their noses because it’s harder to breathe. So I tend to agree that they should be worn properly or what’s the point really.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's complete BS. People wearing a mask that is pulled all the way down and barely covering their mouth is not TRYING. You don't have to have experience with masks to understand that is not helping you or anyone else.

And no, I am not going to walk up to complete strangers to alert them they are wearing a mask wrong when they are clearly pulling it down because it's uncomfortable.

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This is exactly what I was talking about before "well actually" guy popped off.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What you’re going to see or are currently seeing is people moving around normally and hiding symptoms or playing it off as something else. People are wildly selfish.

A friend of mine is waiting for a positive test but definitely has the symptoms. How did he get it? Because his sister’s kid had a fever that she didn’t mention. Later she gets symptoms and says oh maybe you should get tested. If families are that irresponsible, imagine how many people are walking around Home Depot with a low grade fever and a cough just not giving a ****.

People behave like the options are either lock down or full blown it’s party time again. We need to keep everything open and the best way to do that and keep people healthy is act with some level of responsibility. Even if you don’t believe in this for whatever reason, wear a mask and give people space. Stay the **** at home if you don’t feel good. It’s not that hard and it is by far the fastest way to get back to normal.

arkoe, DVauthrin, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  11. Outlier

Outlier Member

If people are walking around with this virus with a fever and a cough, maybe its not that grave to begin with?

Deaths are low. Cases are high. So what? Looks like people with it are managing fine.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This tends to be Americans in general. If people would take the extra precaution in general, none of us would get sick as frequently. And we wouldn't need these draconian measures in the first place.

mikol13 and BigM like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yes. Well we don’t need this level of precaution in general. There’s a level of exposure to viruses and bacteria that is probably beneficial to us and our immune systems. The bigger topic that doesn’t get discussed even remotely enough is the health standards at which most people are living. If there’s a better time to really advocate taking care of your body and your immune system then I don’t know when that would be. For all the debate on how serious this may or not be, it’s quite clear that the better your health is the more likely you walk away ok. And that’s true for a lot of things. Education on the basics of health and nutrition, particularly in low income households is woefully inadequate.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

And here we are....

The key word is maybe. We don’t know exactly how bad it is. It’s certainly not good for a number of people.

At this point the precautions that health officials are asking people to make are so ridiculously small...wear a mask, stay at home if you have symptoms, that debating its danger level instead of just doing those 2 things, doesn’t make sense to me.

arkoe and DVauthrin like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"No that bad to begin with?" Tell that to the girl in her twenties who just had a double lung transplant because of how badly her lungs were damaged by Covid-19. She is far from being the only young person who caught it and had a terrible reaction. It impacts different people in different ways and not just "old people."

Nick Cordero, a well known actor and a star on Broadway, is still fighting for his life after being infected with Covid-19. He has had a leg amputated and a host of other symptoms that caused the medical team trying to save his life to put him in a medically induced coma for several weeks. He's out of the coma now, but in grave condition. It's still unknown if he'll survive this. He is a fellow who was incredibly fit before this happened.

[​IMG]

The truth, which some still don't seem to realize, is that Covid-19 can't be placed in a category with a group of other diseases. We're still learning about it. What we have already learned is that it's both far more contagious and several times more deadly than the flu. What makes it even more dangerous is that it can be highly contagious when an individual has it and shows no symptoms.

16. rockbox

Yeah, pretty much every time I cough because of allergies or to clear my throat, I think I have the Rona.

BigM likes this.
  17. rockbox

You can bring up anecdotal cases of it being bad for young people but the numbers don't bear it out. Out of the close to 2K deaths in the state of Texas, around 50 have been under the age of 50 and 13 being under 30 years old, even though they are the majority of cases by quite a bit. That being said, I don't want my older brothers and sister, and aunts and uncles dying, so we should all be careful and considerate.

Outlier likes this.
  18. Outlier

Outlier Member

So 2.5% chance for everyone under 50
    And 0.65% chance for everyone under 30

In Texas

Not that scary

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

And this is since February.

What are higher death rates from other causes? I can imagine a lot.

Im not trying to be bigtexxx here. But some of yall on the other side are extreme.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guarantee you this is going on deaf ears @Deckard. Ultimately, it's about risk and how much are you willing to take? As evidenced by openings, protests, etc people are willing to take a ton of risk. I understand where the protesting was coming from and why people were doing it, but at end of the day they chose to take a risk. These are the same people on my facebook feed that would post article after article of CoVID and now have shifted their focus to BLM, which I don't necessarily condone because BLM is extremely important, but ultimately, this virus still exist and it's sad that even protesters did not take as big of role being more cautious. Masks are great an all, but when you are that close in proximity, and you are screaming (not just talking) your eyes are still exposed and masks are not 100% bullet proof as we all know.

People have decided that a certain percentage of the population is dying, is okay. People have decided that a certain percentage of the population having long term effects of this is okay. @Outlier has even stated that initially he was very concerned, but now that he has seen the numbers, he has decided that although this virus is very potent, the likelihood of him contracting it and getting incredibly sick is relatively small. He doesn't seem concerned about spreading it either, because he has likely decided that the chance of him passing it on to somebody if he gets it, although high, that same individual likely has a small chance of getting incredibly sick.

I don't agree with their line of thinking which is why I am still social distancing even after months and I wear my mask and I still refuse to hang out with family or friends, but you know, others have chosen a different route. This is the reason that stupid car accident idiot argument is brought up multiple times.

DVauthrin, mikol13 and Deckard like this.