1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Unless he was wearing an N95 fitted like a suction cup to his face and goggles it really doesn't matter unless his goal was to lower the chances of spreading it himself to others.

snowconeman22, YOLO, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's so sad. We're mad about police brutality and rightfully so, but the only course of action was to go out yelling and asymptomatically spreading it to other protestors and otherwise innocent cops like your friend? Just awful. I hope he ends up with a mild case.

3. KingCheetah

These protests and riots couldn't have come at a worse time -- people still think they are protected with a simple mask/face covering, but they just can't wrap their heads around how tiny a virus is. It's like hitting tennis balls at a soccer goal almost every ball you hit will pass right through the net like it's not even there. HEPA filters don't even work by catching tiny particles they use a phenomena called Brownian Motion which requires the filter to be manufactured and used in a very specific way.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Kind of disappointed they didn't include blood thinners on there. Those drugs showed massive benefit for more severe cases in some studies and more are being conducted now.

Also, vitamin D and getting vitamin D levels checked. This one has continued to be the simplest and most basic thing that we continue to ignore.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup the masks provide minimal benefit but they help a little. I was just relaying that he was wearing one.

Ubiquitin and KingCheetah like this.
  6. KingCheetah

Yeah I hope that didn't read like I was coming at your post -- I've just been little irked with most of the mask/ no mask stances out there -- lots of irrational people on both sides of the 'debate'.

CCity Zero, YOLO, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

At this time, currently, now, BOTH. Lulz.

robbie380 likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seems to be mild so far.

“I have the chills. More or less on May 30th and 31st I took part in two large protests in a skirmish line. Prior to this happening, we told out command staff that they city should not allow protests due to their social distancing stuff but for some reason that didn’t matter. Anyways, this past Saturday a bunch of my coworkers felt sick and got tested. I got the chills on Monday and got tested. We have approximately 20 people in my division alone that are out.”

That’s one of his texts and he works in the murder division. He’s pretty frustrated about all this right now. He had told me a couple weeks ago that one of the cops he knew that wasn’t in amazing health caught covid and was on a ventilator. I believe he recovered but I hadn’t asked him.

I’m glad the second weekend protests weren’t like the first weekend “protests” near my house. My hope is that Austin will not see a major spread because we weren’t experiencing the uptick like the Houston area has been. Our active cases actually dropped significantly in the past few days.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A good friend of mine is HPD. And I've been loving grilling him over these protests. I send every anti-cop meme his way. He's a good sport about it. I'm going to ask and see what's up. Scary thought.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My secondary job is booming with covid testing. They asked if I wanted to come in for OT and run the lab. I said biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitchhhhhhh, I looked him straight in the face and said that.

CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

The computer sim city I created remains virus free. That's some sort of irony.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You need to worry about creating a sim world where you're actually good at fantasy sports.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For the wearer, I would agree. Though, should help those around the wearer if the wearer is sick.

Here's a video of how far a sneeze can travel....

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

I wish we could have a better breakdown of the levels of sickness and not have such a focus on deaths. Percentages based on perhaps -- positive no symptoms, mild symptoms similar to common cold, moderate similar to a typical flu, severe similar to a bad flu - bed ridden 2-4 week duration, severe requiring hospitalization possibility of some permanent issues, critical hospitalization requiring ventilation permanent damage expected, Covid resulting in death.

Is something like this out there that I'm missing?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This MFer spittn

TexasTofu and KingCheetah like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It seems like with so many cases we could at least have something as course-grained as the Sue Collins concern-o-meter. :(

CCity Zero, Ottomaton and KingCheetah like this.
  17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

some info; ~20% require advanced care, hospitalization

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

Presentation
    The signs and symptoms of COVID-19 present at illness onset vary, but over the course of the disease, most persons with COVID-19 will experience the following1,4-9:

• Fever (83–99%)
    • Cough (59–82%)
    • Fatigue (44–70%)
    • Anorexia (40–84%)
    • Shortness of breath (31–40%)
    • Sputum production (28–33%)
    • Myalgia (11–35%)

Illness Severity
    The largest cohort of >44,000 persons with COVID-19 from China showed that illness severity can range from mild to critical:38

• Mild to moderate (mild symptoms up to mild pneumonia): 81%
    • Severe (dyspnea, hypoxia, or >50% lung involvement on imaging): 14%
    • Critical (respiratory failure, shock, or multiorgan system dysfunction): 5%

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Time to stock up on toilet paper ahead of the second wave.