1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deckard and Ziggy like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you to a point. There is obviously lots of technology that can (and is used) to spread information. I also agree with your earlier point that the CCP does not have absolute control over every waking minute of the lives of 1.5 billion Chinese people. They want everyone to assume that they do, and the media spreads that narrative.

Still, there is a difference between hiding a pandemic and hiding the degree of damage from a pandemic. Even in the USA where everyone believes laws are only suggestions and not enforceable, we are seeing states lying and being deceptive about the impact of the pandemic. If it can be done here where the federal government is a joke, it can certainly happen in China.

Deckard likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

It wasn't all bad.

First off Cal McNair, owner of the Texans was there scoping out some honeys.

[​IMG]

They also had Baywatch 2020 tryouts as well, and the new cast was chosen...,

[​IMG]

5. Nook

Nook Member

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's Hector with a mask

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The scoreboard offers data on counties across the nation that generates an overall social distancing grade based on three metrics: change in average distance traveled compared to a pre-COVID-19 period; change in visitation to non-essential venues compared to the pre-pandemic period and change in human encounters. The metrics are compiled using anonymous smartphone location service data from millions of cell phone users.

The "F" grade is a significant drop from Harris County's previous "A" rating back it had received in late March.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hate that the top reported measure is distanced traveled now as a percent of average pre-Covid. Crockett county scores a C overall with an F distanced traveled reduction. However, the human encounters was an A because there aren't many people there. New York has done a great job according to distance and non-essential travel reduction, but are still an F in human encounters and people still died a lot. Human encounters should be the main measure of how well social distancing is working..though it is influenced mostly by pre-existing conditions. Cities score an F in human encounters....but that is reality. There are more people per square foot. New York may have the greatest reduction in human encounters, but is still the worst versus national average.

Here's the measure for Harris County. Basically, ~2000% more likely to come across a person in Harris County than national average.

Capture.PNG

Deckard likes this.
  9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So they basically added the antibody tests to the total test number, right? To make it look like they are testing more than they are? The problem still exists in most parts of Texas...not enough sick people to do enough tests. Probably about time to start testing non-symptomatic people, perhaps randomly.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So...While I believe the economy needs to get started, I still think it's too soon to open things back up again...I've been out a few times the past week and it's like there is not pandemic...No masks, packed bars in midtown, etc. I feel we'll have a spike / second wave in Houston later this summer...Plus the more we test the more data we'll have to truly reflect how bad it is in our area...#staysafe

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure the numbers they are publicly reporting aren't actually what's happening. I'm convinced that the numbers worldwide are likely underreported. My point is that we shouldn't completely dismiss the numbers out of the PRC as useless. As we're seeing with them revising numbers upwards and with them enacting new lockdowns is that it is nearly impossible for them to hide. If their numbers were many times what they are reporting it would become pretty obvious.

Regarding how low their numbers seem to be we also have to consider that the steps they've taken of strictly enforced lockdowns should lead to lower cases while our steps are mild compared to those. On top of that our social distancing measures haven't been followed since we haven't enforced them like the PRC. How we are approaching this disease versus how the PRC is is very different and it makes sense that those are reflected in the numbers.

Miracle likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

Meanwhile Zoom positions for world domination. Nobody cares. Not even the Flash?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

At least two employees at the hospital my wife works at have covid. My wife works directly with one of the employees' mother. The mother had direct contact with her daughter days before she tested positive. My wife then worked all day with her.

The mother is being quarantined, but they're refusing to test her because she's asymptomatic.

My wife is pregnant, so she's at risk. She hasn't declared at work.

I told my wife to have the mother test through Rite Aid and then we'll write into the paper how Rite Aid would test her but not her hospital she is employed at.

Her answer?

She wouldn't get paid for her time off if she tested through Rite Aid.

How are we still this stingy on testing??!?

#7674 Two Sandwiches, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think it’s important to remember it wasn't obvious to us for months when we had 30k or so excess unknown deaths.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Got laid off today unexpectedly. I thought I had pretty good job security but never say never in unprecedented times

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. This situation sucks.

sammy and R0ckets03 like this.