1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dang, sorry to hear that.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What is the likelihood that this virus can infect you through your eyes? If that were really a big factor, then wouldn't we all be wearing masks and goggles? I also haven't researched it but I don't get how a respiratory virus infects you through your eyes? Doesn't this virus like lodge in your throat and then flock to your lungs? How do you go from your eyes to your throat? I don't know. I'm ignorant.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It can infect you thru your eyes if droplets with the virus land in your eyes or if you have the virus on your hands and touch your eyes.

Nook, malakas and FrontRunner like this.
  5. donkeypunch

Have you ever held your nose and mouth shut while exhaling? Youd find an airstream through your tear ducts. .

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Americans are generally unhealthy.

Obesity, diabetes, hypertension, COPD, etc. are all present in younger people compared to other countries.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

And, that exists solely so we can get viral infections through our eyes? Thanks, God! ;)

8. donkeypunch

Haha, maybe, but just wanted to point out the connection from eyes to windpipe.

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody has a personal decision to make whether to self quarantine. If I were one of the vulnerable group, I would choose to self quarantine because that group does face a real danger. The lockdowns for the young and healthy make no sense at this point, however, and will only cause greater destruction to our society and economy the longer we go. Suicide rates and cancer rates are rising, joblessness will be followed by homelessness next if the fear mongering continues.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Woh, I was not disagreeing with you (or agreeing) :). It was more about the “leaked” charts.

Thx for this response, and your views make sense with the data you have shown but I think it’s too early to narrow the possibilities. I’m more of the thought that we still don’t know and we may see anything from a slow manageable spread to a nightmare until there is an eff vaccine. I’m disappointed (to put it likely) that we still aren’t prepare for a worse case, that we essentially wasted 2 months and have now given up trying any national plan. I continue to hope for the best but I wish we are prepared for the worse.

daywalker02 and robbie380 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Aren’t prepared for a worst case? Well numerous makeshift hospitals that cost millions weren’t used. All the extra Ventilators that were called upon for not used. Those were set up for worst case. The worst case didn’t happen which is actually a good thing as far as severe outbreaks specifically goes. Not sure where the disappointment is coming from

12. Major

Major Member

Let's see... who to listen to when looking at Swedish policy motives. The Ambassador to the US who has nothing to do with policy or decision-making or science OR the prime minister and top health officials? Hmmm.

Nook likes this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Nearly every medical expert says we're far from out of the woods as a country. And unlike other countries that got on top of the situation early with testing and lockdowns, we appear to be set up for a rough summer and potentially devastating second wave. We could have locked down more strategically (and harder as was done to success in other countries), but we lacked the will and testing capacity and reacted too late (if you're of the mind that it was worth it to even bother trying to mitigate the spread of the virus and save lives). We're also opening areas back up that haven't even met the criteria for opening up by the experts. (Those that have closely followed this thread know this is the consensus of medical experts across the country--not simply my views.)

We could slow the spread and save lives post-reopening by simply wearing masks in public, but a vocal minority are of the belief that they're immune from any health consequences whatsoever and don't care that their actions could impact others for years to come.

I only reiterate my position because you asked earlier in this thread. Personally, I think there's got to be a more appropriate thread for this line of discussion; this one's been primarily about virus facts and treatments--not so much politics and a minorities' push to do away with lockdowns, despite the consistent push by some to interject their regurgitated political viewpoints (not looking at you)--and serves as a valuable resource in that regard.

While I'm sharing my own opinions, let me share one more: not seeing the reality of this virus--the throngs of dead bodies, devastated families, and infected gasping for breath on ventilators--on the evening news has given many the false impression that this has all been some sort of hoax. That's hurt the stay at home effort. One could make a case that it's also by design.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

New Zealand back to back days with zero new cases, down to 164 active cases.

They have done a really outstanding job.

No Worries likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

for whatever reason you feel that or whatever you've been reading, this devastating second wave that's apparently supposed to happen has yet to happen. and when makeshift hospitals in the worst hot spot NY are being taken down, that really doesn't give much indication it's very much on the way. Can't forget about the ~$17 mil one at reliant here in houston that had exactly 0 patients and closed. all the media photos of protests, open beaches, non social distancing claims and so on, the reaction is some immediate spike that supposed to happen. everyone is in different situations regarding this. How you choose to go about it is going to be different for the next person. You think some potentially devastating wave is on the way. I personally don't and by the end of the summer we'll be in a much better place. You say you're sharing your opinions which is simply what it is just like anyone else.

#7235 YOLO, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Those are mitigation efforts - things that we should be prepared for in case we need them. But I'm talking about the capability to slow down the spread and not wait for it to be so bad and panic (lockdown). If we do that, we won't hit worse case. If we assume worse case can't happen (e.g. it's just going to go away soon), we don't see a need for that prep. That can be a hugely costly mistake (a repeat of Jan-Feb) and that's what I meant by being prepared for worse case. The return on investment for such effort on both the economy and toll on human pain would be order of many magnitudes better than a return to another extended lockdown or even multiple smaller lockdowns. Hope for the best, plan for the worse. It's just very logical to me and I just don't get it that we aren't doing more... it's not an either/or thing. Being able to slow down a virus that we still do not have close to full understanding until we have a vaccine is beneficial to both the economy and people's health. The false choice is either extreme. At least attempt, go after it... instead of giving up so soon. Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox... should probably be in the D&D.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I agree with opening things up slowly if the hospitals aren't overstretched. The elderly and at risk should still shelter. I don't agree with people not wearing masks or the hordes at the beach. Those people will cause a quick spike in infections.

Nook likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

i'm still not exactly following what you're trying to relay here

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You're entitled to your opinions. That's cool. I've grown frustrated with many outside this forum, and a few here, and if I came on too strong in your eyes I'm sorry. I have heard many experts warn of a second wave and a coming spike. It doesn't mean it will happen. Others have suggested the curve will resemble a mountain range, with many ups and downs. Maybe it will get better and dissipate over the summer with social distancing, handwashing, etc. Or maybe it's much more contagious and benign than I can imagine and a majority will be immune soon.

However it turns out, I don't think anyone can deny that the lockdowns haven't impacted the number of cases.. and that they're bound to go up as they're lifted (it's already happening). And these protests that have happened recently: it takes a while before symptoms show. We've just recently identified an uptick in cases following primary voting in Wisconsin and that happened quite a while ago. Soon some of those folks may even die...

It's possible, like some here have theorized, that the disease's severity has at least a little to do with one's exposure or dose (not all but some). Those that are in close quarters, like those that take mas-transportation, and nursing home residents, might get it worse because they're more exposed or more confined. The fact that many healthy doctors and healthcare workers have died from this seems to back that theory up, at least based on my limited understanding...

But you and me aren't experts and no one can say with 100% certainty what's going to happen or how exactly we got here; that I agree with. If one of us has to be wrong I hope it's me.

#7239 FrontRunner, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Yung-T, sammy and YOLO like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

It should be fine as long as people keep some distance.

I made plans myself for some pandemic tourism.
    Santorini in June.
    Its a unique opportunity. Bargain prices and finally not huge crowds of tourists.

Granted our islands have been cut off by the rest of the world for almost 2 months now so they are basically as corona free as possible.