1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. HTM

HTM Member

I'm trying to envision HPD writing tickets/arresting people for not wearing masks in public... especially with all the exceptions for exercise... It's laughable. The order may encourage people to wear masks but I don't think we will see any kind of serious enforcement effort, if that is even logistically possible.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My cardiologist friend asked around about that rapid Abbott labs test and why it isn’t being used. Apparently it has a 15% false negative rate, so it’s basically trash. He also said the saliva test looks promising based on the last study with it.

malakas likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The times a mask are needed greatly outweigh the times a mask isn't needed such that a blanket rule is likely best especially since the masks help others more than the wearer.

On jogging, this report http://www.urbanphysics.net/COVID19_Aero_Paper.pdf (pre-print..so probably not peer reviewed yet) suggests 30 feet is needed (mostly directly behind runner) instead of the normal 6 feet as more turbulence is created. The joggers I've seen have come within 30 feet of others/me, though I've not gone to the backwoods.

#6603 Joe Joe, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Amiga and FrontRunner like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The scientists I know at the forefront (and in some of the videos I've posted) said the best news about the virus is that it's mutating very slowly for a virus of its sort. While there are already many different mutations, none of them are thought to be very functional or meaningful yet -- they just help us trace the outbreak and when it was where. That's the best of my understanding, but the more time it spends in humans, the more this take could be updated. My info on this is several weeks old by now, though I'm looking for more online research seminars to attend!

Nook, Hakeemtheking and robbie380 like this.
  5. B-Bob

This actually drives me nuts. Whether or not that paper gets peer-reviewed or whether it's 30 feet or 12 feet or whatever, it makes no sense for joggers to run anywhere near other people while exhaling like cannons through their mouths. Yet, in San Francisco, joggers and bikers are given blanket approval to not wear masks. Grrrr. Makes no sense.

I know it's hard to breath through a mask. Too ****ing bad, wheezy jogger. Walk until you can breath through your damned nose when you run, just like studs like me.

Nook, arkoe and FrontRunner like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering how well the original virus is working, no reason for mutations to take hold.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I just went out for the first time in a while. I was grabbing a few things for my elderly parents that they weren't able to get delivered from their whole foods or instacart orders.

People around here are done staying home. The traffic was pretty much rush hour level in the middle of the day. Any store that's open was absolutely packed. The Home Depot parking lot looked like a regular Saturday morning. The convenient store parking lots had every spot filled and people loitering around. Tmobile and even UPS stores were crowded. Of course the Chickfila lines were massive. I would say 75% of people I saw were not wearing masks.

8. B-Bob

I think that sounds right. But here might be a slight (fingers crossed) evolutionary pressure for more and more asymptomatic cases, since those are the best at spreading the virus, versus putting someone in a bed or ICU isolation for 3 weeks. Is my thinking correct on that? Most viruses get milder, I believe, for such reasons.

But with SARS-Cov2, it seems like it does most of its spreading before people get super sick anyway. So prob not as much pressure as we would like.

9. what

what Member

Here's where I have a problem with that.
    I don't generally believe that your decision should be your decision if you are endangering others by exercising it.
    Like yelling fire in a crowed movie theater.
    People however seem to feel the opposite: tailgating me endangers my life, and I have no control over that, but I feel that aggressive drivers should all be locked up for doing it. You don't have the right to endanger me.
    It is not just your life that you are making a decision for: you are making a decision for other people that come into contact with you.
    I think people should be more considerate of others and not be out there bring up Daniel freaking Boone and Jim Bowie, and Davy Crockett and all those people. The ****.

jchu14 likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Feels like in Houston things are trending towards returning to normal... people have been doing the quarantine/social distancing/whatever you want to call it for a month and Houston hasn't really experienced many problems from coronavirus.

According to this we are at 79 deaths in Harris County....
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/co...virus-map-cases-houston-covid-19-15137466.php

People haven't been seeing/feeling the disease and their attitudes are changing towards it IMO.

11. B-Bob

Not sure @who you're discussing this with, @what, but it sounds like it belongs more in D&D than the main virus thread here. Cheers.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's not just a 1 way street. There're probably more often than not reasons for actions. using your example of tailgating since you mentioned it, what if youre being tailgated because you were driving irresponsibly and/or too slow. Or you cut someone off and so on. you're actually endangering others as well and possibly the initial reason for it. The person tailgating you isn't the only one at fault in many cases

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Things aren’t going to return to the way things were pre-Coronavirus for a long time. People need to accept that. Non-essential businesses will be allowed to open soon, but that doesn’t mean they will be busy or hire all of their workers back. There are still safety concerns and, right now, many people do not have the disposable income to spend on non-essential purchases.

Also, people aren’t seeing or feeling the disease because staying at home and social distancing has worked, not because the virus is gone. Not to mention, only a minute fraction of the population has been tested. If things were to completely open back up, Coronavirus cases would start spiking again.

#6613 DVauthrin, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I didn't see this posted. My apologies if this has already been shared. Much of it's been reported already, but there were some new bits I hand't heard...

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ABOUT DAMN TIME.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Horrific!

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

her horrific leadership. lacks any critical thinking skills
    [​IMG]

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm... are we sure s/he isn't jumping the gun? Or is this a different test we're talking about? Abbott has already responded to the false positive issues. I don't know what "as expected" means, but I'm not sure who's right and who's wrong :

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/health/abbott-laboratories-coronavirus-rapid-test/index.html

Abbott Laboratories instructed health care providers last week not to use solutions known as "viral transport media" for samples tested on its ID NOW device, which runs one test at a time and can detect positive coronavirus cases in as little as five minutes and spit out negative results in 13 minutes.
    The company says customers should instead only place swabs with patient samples directly in the device. When that method is used, the test performs as "expected," an Abbott spokesperson said, adding that when the company learned about the issue it immediately notified its customers and the US Food and Drug Administration.

University of Washington's Virology Lab had this to say after using it :

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/uw...arly-100-accuracy/RFCEDOCPVJEWPMYKUVSEVRRPYQ/

The lab said since Abbott Laboratories developed the new antibody test, UW researchers have been working 24/7 to verify the test’s effectiveness. Scientists said Friday they found the test can determine if someone had COVID with nearly 100% accuracy.

“It showed a sensitivity of 100% and a specificity of 99.6%,” said Alex Greniger, assistant director of the UW Virology Lab. “Diagnostically, this is one of the best tests we can offer,” he said.

“This is another turning point in the fight against this virus,” Jerome said.

The test specifically looks for what’s called an IgG antibody -- something your immune system makes after you get sick from COVID-19.

NotInMyHouse and B-Bob like this.