1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ask tons of questions and inquire about it, better safe than sorry I guess.

#3441 daywalker02, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Coronavirus or not people are still aiming everywhere except the urinal. Gross

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is anyone buying the BS the Surgeon General is selling as far as the N95 masks?

There is a narrative out there that health workers sorely needs these masks to protect them when dealing with patients. But, on the flip side, they are saying the general public should not wear masks and may actually just be increasing their chances of getting the virus by wearing them. And, they throw out that you may not be wearing the mask correctly if you are wearing one. Seriously...you can't tell if you are wearing the mask correctly? It creates a seal around your nose and mouth. Then, goes on to claim you could just be breathing the virus in with the mask on...like you trapped it in there and are now f*cked from breathing it in. Huh? I guess that could happen in some f*cked up scenario.

I understand they don't want the general public buying these so health care workers can have them. But, for those that do have them and go into situations like grocery stores where everyone is in proximity to each other due to crowding and lines, I would rather take my chances with a mask on than without. And, this narrative that it will help health care workers but not help the general public...I have a hard time buying that. I feel like they are delivering a Trump version of the truth here.

I guess I could be wrong and wearing a N95 mask is more risky than not wearing one. My inner BS meter tells me otherwise. And, I think the Surgeon General is talking out of his ass and back in through his mouth.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You are ignoring that the masks protect YOU (and others) from the person wearing them.

5. Surfguy

I'm not ignoring that. So, you're saying they prevent the virus from going out but they don't protect a person wearing them from the virus coming in?

From what I'm reading, the people saying the general public should not wear them are saying so under the guise that these people don't know how to wear the mask properly and, therefore, should avoid them. But, the narrative seems to be more along the lines of dissuade the general public from buying them so there will be enough for health care workers who are on the front lines. I just think the truth is being bent here. I understand getting them to those who should have them first, however. I didn't go out and buy/horde masks. I already had a few on hand...so I'm not preventing any health care workers from getting one.

#3445 Surfguy, Mar 21, 2020
  6. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Yep. I think its bullshit. We see what is going on with toilet paper. There are not enough masks and they want to keep them in the hands of health care workers. They are also not telling the truth about how long this will last. I think minimum 2 months. The federal government makes it sound like a couple weeks without actually flat out lying. They also avoiding talking about the sever shortage of tests. You can get some real news from local media. For instance I just heard that there are 650 tests for the entire state of Iowa.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Had a friend tell me his wife's best friend's neighbor who allegedly works for the CDC say that the administration would be instituting a nationwide shut down...yesterday. Oops. Either way, I'm stocking up on the necessities...weed and beer.

BaselineFade and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The wave is starting to crash. It takes 10-14 days of ICU level care to recover and we are not even started. We can be reinfected.
    Pray for us.

9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

10. Surfguy

Anyone remember that sex scene from "The Naked Gun" where the two main man/woman characters were wearing full size human condoms? That almost doesn't seem like a bad idea right about now. I'd walk around in one if it worked.

[​IMG]

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

My sister fell for the video text that went around last week about the top military guy in a 2 hr meeting in DC saying that the pres would evoke the Stafford Act in 24-72 hours. She sent it to my brother and I. I, in turn, sent it to a few people. It was the first time I had fallen for something like that, but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Looking back on it... yeah it was a little silly, but folks are on edge and more sensitive than we usually are. Disinformation can be tricky. Maybe they weren't doing it for attention? Maybe they simply fell for something and had your best interests in mind? It's also something, today anyway, that's not completely out the realm of possibility down the line. I dunno.

malakas likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

This is waaaay too long to read and there's so much conflicting and constantly changing information, but worth a read (or a skim):

Os Trigonum, Surfguy and B-Bob like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It parodied that.......

[​IMG]

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I got through about half of this

my problem with it is that the author based their statistical analysis on data (confirmed cases) that we know has massive holes in it .

if countries aren’t testing then how can the case data be accurate ? Some countries are testing way more effectively too .

the temperature idea seems like it’s been debunked as has the “this virus only effects the old” . Perhaps the reason that not many young people die is that they are given priority in treatment

I might agree with the title if it said “don’t panic that much “ ... but anyone saying not to feel any fear at all or take any precaution is just wrong . There IS an efficient level of panic . People should have tried to stock up for 2 weeks . People should be trying to physically distance themselves if possible .

edit . I read the rest ... this guy makes more conflicting statements .

his conclusion talks about how 3/4 of the people are actually more scared of what the govt will do than getting infected ... he says cdc worst case estimate that 150-200 million Americans is BS ... and his logic for that is because they have contained in China so far ....

he however fails to mention the exact reason it has been contained in China is because the government took authoritative action and put people on lockdown .

tldr ... he complains that we are overreacting , wants to open back up businesses and schools and thinks that we will be fine because the infection didn’t spread like crazy in China.... all while ignoring what China did to slow the spread

#3454 snowconeman22, Mar 21, 2020
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hot shots parodied it also.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Reading about @EddieWasSnubbed story - and wishing everything goes well-
    Makes you think that at these times we must literaly pray that nothing happens to us and our families.

It's not just the coronavirus. Unless our life is literally in danger, soon we won't be able to go to take blood test, have an X-ray, have MRIs, see a doctor, even see the dentist.

Because every hospital and every doctor, every nurse, every lab and every clinic will be battling a war against the virus, trying to save hundreds of lives day and night without rest.

Stay safe and guard your health! These are very dangerous times.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thank you. My wife and I both agreed that we were glad this is hitting now - it could be happening in three months when the whole healthcare system is overwhelmed.

18. malakas

malakas Member

The N95 masks can't protect you against aerosols. Only larger particles. If you have them of course use them, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont go buy them now.
    If you are in a closed space, it will not protect you alone.

Use a normal good mask. This way you will have the same protection as a N95 masks. Both can't protect against aerosols but they can protect against larger particles and they can prevent you from touching your face.

19. malakas

malakas Member

793 deaths in Italy today.

Nook and Yung-T like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gonna probably hit 1k a day soon if this doesn't slow down. :(

daywalker02 likes this.