1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A day ago (maybe two) the best reasonable conservative estimate IMO was minimum 250k max 900k -- so it could already be double that.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

Sure? You actually in your personal 5 year timeline expected a virus from China to come in and cause lock downs in cities and countries world wide?

Good for you. You should be in a great financial situation right now to be able to take advantage of the economic opportunities that'll come out of this. And I mean that sincerely.

But no need to be condescending to others. We all have our own timelines.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are just persuading people not to test for that because we don't have it and we are just treating the current symptoms. You get admitted based on high acuity. Underestimating the **** outta this

daywalker02 and Pringles like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wish I could get testing because I have had a lot of the symptoms minus the fever. Had a slight sore throat and slight headache start last week, but I was also producing mucus and no fever the entire time so I tended to not worry about it. Then on Sunday I started getting an urge to have a dry cough that I could suppress and Monday I had a couple dry coughs. Also, I started to develop like a chest tightness on Sunday as well. The headache and sore throat are basically gone today and the chest tightness was gone for a bit today but it came back after I took a nap. Still no fever also. Overall very minor, but it would be nice to know if I was a carrier.

One of the guys I train jiujitsu definitely has stronger symptoms than me. Could be something else going around though....

5. Senator

Senator Member

... yes, many others did too, from Bill Gates to global biotech and agricultural leaders. You can only live in your suburban bubble and play pretend for so long. Life is about more than just the financial stiuation of your own family - and yes, Im in great shape and will play the stock market accordingly, but it's pointless if China keeps producing these every 5 years because of their deep cultural ties to sadism.

6. malakas

malakas Member

From noon tomorrow Belgium enters lockdown.
    Free movement banned except to go to the supermarket the pharmacy or the bank.

Also tomorrow Denmark bans gatherings of 10 people and closes down every shop except the essentials.

One more day passed and we still arent in lockdown here.
    Look now even Belgium that doesnt even have a proper government forced quarantine.
    How many people will have to die to get quarantined???

Gdaliya likes this.
  7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Next thing you know, the anti-gun trope of "armed citizens can't even put a dent in the overpowering US military" might get put to the test. Asymmetric warfare is never pretty and never black and white.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Are you allergic? Did you sneeze or feel your ears pricking?
    I had the same symptoms and its only March, way ahead of May which is my allergy season. I went to the doctor and he said that because of the southern winds that bring pollen and dust my allergic asthma came sooner. Hadnt even noticed the reason because it was minor symptoms.
    I also got tachycardia when even going up the stairs.
    Now used my ventilator for a couple of times and I am back to normal.

Anyway 98% of people who develop COVID19 have fever unless they are children.
    Have a thermometer by your side and keep taking it every 4 hours.
    But it definitely doesnt sound like the new virus.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'll be fine. Thankfully, I am still very young and unmarried. In the long run, this is just a bump for me personally. But I do feel terrible for many individuals in our community that didn't expect this virus especially those with kids and/or about to retire. I guess those are the people you want to say are in the "suburban bubble."

I am definitely not happy with the Chinese government on how they tried to hide this virus early on, but also definitely not happy with how our government can't have tests widely available when we found out about our first case back in January. Just like how you were being preventive with your finances with your knowledge of this virus coming, the government should have also known then and prepared our country by ordering and accepting tests from other countries and organizations.

Just my opinion though. Not in a great mood to argue with you, sir. Genuinely happy for you because I have friends and family who are in great position to take advantage of this situation. A buddy of mine works in a private equity firm who specialize in distressed assets; his firm is working overtime currently and waiting for the right opportunities. Hopefully you and your family are all physically safe from this and that's all that matters. Cheers.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If I have allergies it is always accompanied by sneezing, runny nose, drainage in my throat. I have none of that with whatever is going on. I know the lack of sneezing and runny nose are two things with covid19. That said I'm not worried or anything. I went for a run last night and overall I'm feeling fine.

CCity Zero, malakas and Pringles like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Either you choose to sacrifice the economy or human lives.
    If the strictest measures possible aren't enforced in the megacities then you will simply have hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Just stall until a cure is found.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Robbie me too. Thats why I didnt think of allergy. But it was. If you are allergic why not take a antihistamine tomorrow morning and see if it makes a difference?
    Anyway take care. You are perfectly well informed so I know you will take all the steps needed.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Someone I have been around recently is sick today. Could be nothing... but man I haven’t had this feeling since some bad choices while in college.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vanessa Hudgens, you're cancelled.

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My brothers sister in law is getting tested today.

FrontRunner and malakas like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Preparing for the Z apocalypse.

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Im in the medical industry and have alot of contacts with labs who are certified for testing. Trying to set up a drive-thru testing facility in South Houston! Government reimbursement is around 65 dollars per test if anyone was curious.

18. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I don't know what's going on in Greece but a few points to why Belgium enters lockdown.

1. Weird political situation helps this time, a bit cynical but there is some calculation of who will be responsible and how it will look publically so when the bigger EU countries did it and gave it "legitimacy" it was coming for sure.

2. Everybody agrees that the official numbers lie and not beacuse of "cooking" it just beacuse of the testing policy and statistic models.

3. Worrying rise in amount of critical cases in young healty pepole.

4. Dwindling resources, dwindling test kits, flooded hospitals and stretched medical times(some of them are also sick but thankfully not a big number).

5. Stupid/ negligent of the pepole that led us to this situation and left no choice but that.
    Lockdown parties that were happening last Friday few hours before the closure of bars and clubs.

Stay safe and healthy everybody.

Deckard, daywalker02 and malakas like this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well, had a new tenant for one of my rent houses back out because she’s a Hooters girl and she isn’t making money now because her restaurant closed or some nonsense. #bailmeoutTrump

Yung-T likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member