1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Anyone else feel like this is the 2020 version of Bird Box? I need to go to the store, but I feel like if I dont make it back by dark, rogue gangs of coronavirus roaming the street might chase me down, jump me and infect me.

Ubiquitin, Sajan and RKREBORN like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Here's some quick numbers excluding China and Iran based on my tracking from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

March 7
    • Total Cases : 19682
    • Active Cases : 17886
    • Recovered Cases : 1438
    • Serious Cases : 771
    • Deaths : 358
    • Mortality Rate : 1.82%
    March 10
    • Total Cases : 30359
    • Active Cases : 27108
    • Recovered Cases : 2405
    • Serious Cases : 1253
    • Deaths : 846
    • Mortality Rate : 2.79%
    March 14
    • Total Cases : 62532
    • Active Cases : 55963
    • Recovered Cases : 4548
    • Serious Cases : 2299
    • Deaths : 2021
    • Mortality Rate : 3.23%

To give further color to those numbers I was watching one of Dr. John Campbell's videos yesterday

This case study he referenced felt a good true estimate of infections was likely 10x-20x higher than the known results. This can be viewed as good and bad. The good would be this means the mortality rate is likely lower than the known mortality rate. The bad would obviously be that this is far more widespread than we have quantified. However, he put out another video today relating to the spread in China and how this virus had likely infected FAAAAR more people than the current global numbers today. Meaning, that even though this seems grim we still have a very good shot at getting this thing controlled.

#2402 robbie380, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  3. Space Ghost

This is a really good point. I mentioned this before to coworkers and they thought I was crazy for suggesting to allow this to proliferate. I also suggested if you really are concerned about this virus, now is the time to get it. In 3 months, its going to be chaos.

backwardhead likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

LOL it is a complete fantasy to want to stop the spread of such a virus that spreads exponentially ,right at the point of what a healthcare system can take before being overwhelmed.
    Especially a healthcare system with only 4k ICU beds like the NHS.

A dangerous delusional criminal fantasy that deserves to make you end up in the Hague sentenced to 500 times life in prison for crimes against humanity.

Cannonball, AroundTheWorld and jcf like this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I ordered some backup sanitizer online already for probably twice the price, but oh well. People jacking up prices in a National Emergency is just pathetic.

CCity Zero and jcf like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good thing they've got room to practice proper social distancing there. If one person in that crowd has Covid-19, dozens around them do now, but won't start showing symptoms for, iirc, 2-7 days after they've made it through customs.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

you might as well just quarantine all those people.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

malakas likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What a **** show. There should be better protocol for something like this- Maybe let one terminal or plane out in certain amounts of time. Its not like they have anywhere to be on their busy flight schedule. You just dont give anybody a chance this way and endanger everybody working in that airport.

14. Space Ghost

No where did he say you only start applying the breaks after the healthcare system has been overwhelmed.

He didnt get into it, but his point was not to create mass hysteria from day 1, such as yourself. Now everyone who coughs just once goes into a panic attack they might have COVID, despite they haven't left the house in a week and the nearest case is 500 miles away. This is the stupid **** that is creating mass strain on the global supply chain. Wuhan had a reason. They had no idea what they were dealing with. That alone wrecked the supply chain. But we are 4 months into this nonsense and we are JUST NOW using the word Social Distancing instead of mass hysteria pandemic quarantine bullshit.

Now you have all the social r****ds literally clearing the shelves of every store in the world. No purel? Great, i guess im catching this thing. I better grab a year supply of toilet paper. No toilet paper now? I NEED to do something to be prepared..at least to barter and trade when society collapses. Water is always a great commodity in the time of disaster. No water? Fine, ill just start clearing the pharmacy department. Including shampoo and deodorant. Now that we cleared that out, lets hit the canned good isle. That Armoured canned beef stew and vienna sausages look disgusting. But hey, when you're starving, it will be delicious. Lets grab a case of each.

I have left over fajitas and all i needed was tortillas. If I went to walmart and they didnt have tortillas, i was going to be pissed. I grabbed the second to the last pack...and that one went a few seconds later. My point is, coming from a rational mind, im find and dandy with this global side show. Hell, we even needed a cooling in the stock market. I have no problem with that. But what you prevent me from having my fajitas, allowing me to get fuel in the car to cruise around in the afternoon, or god forbid, like millions and millions of other, affect my paycheck and means to live, Im going to be pissed. And that is what we are on the verge of.

15. Asian Sensation

Gross. Bunch of dirty mouth breathers that haven’t washed their butts recently standing shoulder to shoulder.

16. jcf

jcf Member

All of that is just bad human behavior -- maybe built into some's survival instinct.

I still think it is better to treat as seriously from get-go even if you have some of this bs going on.

Went to grocery store today. Employees were working hard re-stocking shelves with all of the stuff that had been raided. The good news: supply chains haven't been compromised as of yet (at least locally) and there was plenty of stuff being loaded onto the shelves.

malakas likes this.
  17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'm curious as to why you are worried about butts being clean....

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Space Ghost likes this.
  19. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

RKREBORN likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just throw them all in quarantine for 2 weeks and test them all. This is why all travel should cease soon. Thousands more flowing in to supposedly self-quarantine. Yeah, right, until they decide to go grab a 6 pack of beer and pack of smokes.

malakas likes this.