1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courtney Lee is a keeper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by landryMVP, Feb 15, 2011.

1. landryMVP

landryMVP Member

Yes I know it's only the past couple games he has been beasting with us, but he needs to stay here. And if for some reason we do trade him we need to get more than Omer Asik, that that would just be wack. He is a great spark off the bench. When given the opportunity and the minutes he has performed well on both sides of the court.(Minus the San Antonio game where he missed the 2 free throws to ice the game) BUT we won't get into that. Great shooter, amazing finisher at the rim and great defender. I dunno how anyone else feels about him but thats just my Don't Trade Courtney Lee rant!

2. YaosDirtyStache

You are the first person to think of this. Groundbreaking idea.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Lee will never truly realize his potential here, not while we have Martin. On the contrary, Asik can provide much needed size at a position of need. To me, its a no brainier. Lee is good, I agree, but if he nets us a young, defensive center, I would trade him in a heartbeat.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Thank you!!

I've been thinking this for a while. There is a reason he is highly coveted by the top teams (Chicago, Orlando). He could be a starter on many teams. He's extremely athletic, has a good jumper, and mad hops.

I wouldn't mind trading Kevin Martin, Hill, battier and a pick or two for Carmelo and Nene.

Lowry/Brooks
    C. Lee/T-will
    Carmelo/Bud
    Scola/Hayes
    Nene/Miller ?

That's a insanely good team.

1 person likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

wise words here.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like Lee, but he should remain a backup. Valuable off the bench, would be exposed as a starter.

7. parmesh

parmesh Member

NOT according to Stan Van Gundy. Apparently Lee was good enough to start as a ROOKIE, guard LerBon in the playoffs, and continue starting in the finals.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Okay, I like Lee a lot and can honestly see him starting and being a key part of the puzzle. With starters minutes, he can give you 14-16 ppg, 4-5 rpg/apg and shoot a good percentage while playing above average to good defense. The problem, like a few have said, is that he plays behind Martin. Kevin is a fantastic offensive player but lacks in everything else and his defense is an abomination. He had a nice spurt a few games back were it seemed he might be actually be trying to play some defense but hasn't looked great since and Afflalo torn him up last night.

Martin is your best player but also might have the most value to a contender. I THINK the Rockets would be more then willing to part with Martin if they can get a legit 2-way center for him and feel very comfortable plugging Lee in the starting lineup. Problem is, not many of those guys out there to be had.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

COURTNEY LEE IS AN EATER!

10. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

He goes hard in da paint

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And then they traded him.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

He's okay but in my opinion if a nice deal comes along, he can go.
    With the trading deadline nearing all of a sudden he produces on offense,
    I'm afraid he will never be consistent and his production will go down again.

13. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

This guy deserves to start if rockets decide to trade k Martin. Lee can score average of 15-18 points a game with more pt.

I'm in for Martin + battier for melo even if it's a rental.

Lowry/Brooks
    Lee/Williams
    Melo/bud
    Scola/Hayes/patpat
    Decent center/hill/miller

14. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I'm kind of surprised the responses have been so divided. I really like Kevin Martin but I would rather start Lee at SG and trade Martin + whatever to bring in a legit scoring 3.

Martin maybe the better offensive player but Lee is much more well rounded AND he is younger/cheaper.

I would rather a Lee/"Melo-like" player combo than a Martin/Battier combo.

Just my 2 cents.

15. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Lee would not be a good starter for us unless all our other positions are really strong. He just won't provide enough offensive power, and his defense won't look as good against other starting SG's. Don't get me wrong, his defensive effort is really refreshing to see on this team, but he is just TOO small. It really says something that Kevin Martin can guard Kobe better than Lee.

Meanwhile, he would be the perfect starter on the Bulls. Their starting lineup is so strong at every other position and he'd thrive as that fifth option role player. I'd gladly give him to them for Asik + pick (preferably the Bobcats pick). :grin:

16. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

...for Vince Carter

1 person likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lee is definitely a keeper.

He packages incredible athleticism and a nice skillset.
    I see a lot of Rip Hamilton in him ....a guy that works within the confines of the offense to stick that J of his. But Lee also has the ability to get to the rack and can D up bigtime at two spots.....ala MadMax.
    The Rockets wanted him in the draft and he has done nothing in his NBA stint to make us pull away....au contraire, Courtney is a special player. He's proved himself as a starter/big role player on a championship contender already.

IMO Lee isn't going anywhere....unless it's in a blockbuster for an established star. The Bulls are dreaming.

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

lol, and he started over BOGANS....coincidentally, the player Lee would start over if he were to be traded to the Bulls.

Redic, I don't even think was in the rotation.

19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If Chicago scouts really are watching Lee every game...if they weren't considering Asik for Lee then, they definitely are now.

20. entirelydave

entirelydave Member