1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courtney Lee fielding offers hovering around $10m per year. We need to jump on this.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, star players do get traded. Teams do trade star players to rebuild. The Rockets traded the best player in the league in Moses Malone to rebuild. If we can't surround Harden with the talent to contend, then the worst thing we could do is tread water for the next 24 months. Don't be afraid of doing what needs to be done.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

On a 1 year deal, sure.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah i mea, if you can't sign good enough players just stand pat, use the cap space to absorb some bad salaries taking back picks, a pick is better than a mediocre overpaid player.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Harden is 26 he's in his prime trading him would be stupid. It's on Morey for not being able to surround Harden with the proper talent. Unless Harden has made it clear ( which I'm guessing will be happening very soon if Morey continues his trend ) that he wants out he will not get traded. I would rather have a team with James Harden in it where there is always a chance ( 2015 ) where he can make magic happen than a team like Lowry/Kmart days.

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If we're signing him to play him at the PG/SG positions then sure why not. He's more serviceable than Beverley. We still need to fill up the Center position though so jumping too quickly on a back up guard (is what I would be really envisioning Lee would fill in for both Harden and Beverley) is probably not in our best interests. I could be wrong though..

This is not to knock Lee as a player, I still love his game and love the passion and effort he brings to it when he's on the court. I thought we should have kept Lee over trading him but because we did, we placed ourselves in a position where we could get Harden (IRC). Either way we need a more consistent player in the PF and Center. Then to a lesser extent to figure out what to do at the PG position.

6. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

If he can lock down point guards then there's no reason not to bring his talent back at the point guard position. Can he do that though?

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People really underestimate how hard it is to get a player like Harden to just think we can trade him now and that means in 2 years we be better off?

Some teams it takes a decade to get back to just being relevant. Look at the Kings. Look at the Wolves. Look at the 6ers...

Be careful what you wish for. Trading Harden for a top 5 draft pick sounds nice, it sounds fun and easy in theory, if I were playing NBA 2k I'd do it...

But it's not happening. One because Harden is an elite player, I'd rather spend those 2 years trying to convince another star to play with him.

Two because Les is not going to.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This strategy has proven unsuccessful. And at the end of the day it could leaves us with completely nothing; much worse off than we are now.

9. jacoby

jacoby Member

We DID convince another star to play with Harden though. He left last night because his injuries slowed us down. Horford is non-committal as well. If we tank with Harden, he WILL leave when he's a Free Agent. Then we're back at square one. Might as well try to win while we have a Top 5 player.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Because its better to keep that the available spending money than locking yourself into a contract for 2, 3 or 4 years with someone that really isn't worth it.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Rockets traded Moses because the owner was cheap and didn't want to pay him.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Moses decided to leave. Free agency was different then and we got compensation for it.

13. Madclownpacasum

Morey wouldnt kjow because he aint a ball player. Hes just a geek guy who only knows about superstars and not the game

14. GottaHaveHeart

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Or we can trade him and rebuild.

16. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Courtney Lee has agreed to a four-year, $50 million deal with the Knicks.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/749387648154820608">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Knicks aren't looking too bad

18. tzou88

tzou88 Member

We couldn't give a better offer than that?

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You need to go younger on wings.

20. Fantasma Negro

What?
    Rose
    Lee
    Melo
    Zinger
    Noah

That's a squad