1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Court OKs Repeated Tasering of Pregnant Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 31, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

She kept her car running the whole time? Bad move.

Her defense of claiming she did not refuse to sign the notice? Hmm.

Need to see something definitive on the law whether not signing a ticket is grounds for this kind of action. Cause so far, all I've seen is that it's not. But yet somehow the court says it is. Something doesn't add up.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

According to the article, breaking that law doesn't give them the right to do that.

Law > Your opinion

3. Southern Select

You most definitely can be arrested for being a moron and refusing to sign a simple speeding ticket.

Her payday was rejected. It is a beautiful ruling. God Bless America.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

You must have missed the quote that refusing to sign a ticket was a nonarrestable misdemeanor. So you're wrong.

These cops should definitely be fired at the very least.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Tasering a pregnant woman? You think that's going to stop them?

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rIVHNylH1Mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rIVHNylH1Mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Shocked this happened in Seattle.

Course in Texas they would have let the cops off if they had also dragged her out of the car and shot her 3 dozen times. Because about 40 percent of the population has a police scanner on their dining room table, works security and otherwise worships at the altar of cop.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Tasers are stupid, cops shouldn't need them to do their job. Just cause they arnt a bullet are will not kill someone, they feel free to use it whenever they want

9. Southern Select

Me living in respectable freedom > stupid, loudmouth, delusionally entitled, yet deservedly tasered b****

Zap her dumbass once for me too.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It really shows a lot about someone's character when they extrapolate things like this from virtually thin air.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Agreed. +1rep

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A whole lot of vitriolic anger, no? Gee whiz, I wonder where it comes from and why it gets focused on this thread. Golly, SouthernSelect (et multi alia user names.)

He must hate pregnant women -- yeah, that's it. I'm sure if it was his own pregnant (white? hmmm) wife that was tasered b/c she was confused about the law, he'd be just as vitriolic.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a couple of speeding tickets, and I've never had to sign anything. I've also been told by lawyers to NEVER submit to a breath-alizer, even if I've had zero to drink. She easily could have thought it was her right to not sign the ticket.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh, you were on the scene also? Tell us more. What was her tone of voice like? Did the officer have a mustache?

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Were you? :confused: Or are you automatically coming to her aid because she's pregnant?

Let's see.. she was speeding and received a ticket. The law there says you have to sign a receipt of the notice of infraction. She refused. The officer told her she would go to jail if she didn't sign it, and even called another officer in to come talk to her. When she refused again, they decided to arrest her. She refused to leave her car -- a car that was running and had her door closed. The officers told her she would be tased if she didn't leave the car. She still refused. The police had to open her door and take her keys out -- at that point they tried a "pain compliance" move that I assume she succcessfully fought off, since it didn't work. Then, they tased her on the LOWEST setting to get her to comply. Let's be clear: she was tased for resisting arrest, not for the traffic stop.

How anyone cannot put the majority of blame on the woman is beyond me. The only rational argument I've heard against the police is that she was tased (3) times -- whether or not that is excessive is a good question.

And on to the D&D we go!

1 person likes this.
  15. Southern Select

Its just a bunch a cop haters who also want to "regulate" everyone lives. They only want to fight that power only becuase they are not that particular power. Speeding a school zone and acting like a spoiled nutball is wonderful (especially if you are not white and you hate the police), but eating a cheeseburger is an outrage.

16. LongTimeFan

I think it's more of the fact that people are naturally inclined to distrust police. They see a title that says a pregnant woman was tased during a traffic stop, and they immediately put the blame on the officers. IMO, after reading all the facts of the case, the officers were justified -- and the courts felt so as well. I don't want the police to spend two hours sweet-talking some woman to get her out of her car; there are better things for them to do. I have no problem with how they acted in this situation. That woman is the one to blame for putting her baby in harms way -- she knew they were going to tase her if she kept refusing to come out of the car.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is what we think he is . . .

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Judging by some commentary in these type of threads

folx would say.
    Well .. since the Nazis were the government at the time
    and they had the guns and authority . . . .
    Then all those Jewish folx should have just submitted
    and they would have been better off . . . .

Probably say . .well if the Nazis had had tazers they would
    not have killed so many Jews. . . .

and yes
    This type of police brutality and blind submission to 'The State'
    is analgous to Nazism to me.

Rocket River

19. LongTimeFan

Then you're not very smart. Sorry.

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Fascism would never have existed if people didn't want it.