1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Court OKs Repeated Tasering of Pregnant Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/pregnant_woman_tasered/

Rocket River
    I guess folx find this funny too?

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

OWNED!!!!!

seriously though, that's stupid.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Holy **** that's ****ed up. I cannot decide who's more insane, a group of cops who would repeatedly taser a pregnant lady or a pair of judges that would defend it.

WTF

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

“Refusing to sign a speeding ticket was at the time a nonarrestable misdemeanor; now, in Washington, it is not even that. Brooks had no weapons and had not harmed or threatened to harm a soul,” (.pdf) Berzon wrote.

Even ignoring the fact that she was pregnant, it looks like they had no right to detain or subdue her in the first place. Should be case closed?

And how the heck do you hold someone's arm while they're getting tazered and not get shocked yourself?

An officer was holding Brooks’ arm behind Brooks’ back while she was being shocked.

I supported the tazerin' of granny in Austin, but not this. This is bullmess.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Cops were definitely in the wrong, and should be punished accordingly.

Having said that...wtf is up with people thinking they can say whatever they want to cops and refusing to comply with their orders? I know in Texas, it says right on the ticket "THIS IS NOT AN ADMISSION OF GUILT" and the officer also informs you verbally that by sigining, you are not admitting guilt (I assume it's the same in Washington). She should have just signed and driven off. The cops took it too far, for sure, but SHE was the reason this situation escalated. I have trouble feeling a ton of sympathy for her.

If only she'd seen this helpful video... (NSFW)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWGCIm4GNQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWGCIm4GNQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That is just crazy. The cops should be fired and criminally investigated. And the judge should find a new job as well.

7. Southern Select

Sucks for her that she was too ignorant and stupid to sign the ticket. Live and learn. Now the 12-year-old is going to grow up to hate the police like Rocket River becuase his mom was an idiot. The cycle continues.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

^^^^^We all knew it was coming. Right on cue.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

According to the law, they had as much right to do that for her not signing the ticket as they do to taze you for making dumb posts like this.

10. Southern Select

She was going 32 in a school zone. Be a responsible adult, sign the ticket, say thank you with a smile, quit being a stupid b**** and life would have gone a lot better for her. It isn't hard.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Amen, brotha! :eek: And That's what SHE said! :grin:

12. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Agreed...

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A lot of people in here seem to assume this lady was disruptive or causing some kind of dangerous situation. But that isn't detailed in the story at all.

Until you can show me how she gave them probable cause to use the tasers, it's really stupid to defend this in any way, unless you're for getting your own ass tased for no good reason someday.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So speaks the Facist who complains about a nanny-state

interesting

Rocket River

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

No kidding. Irony, right?

99 times out of 100 I side with the police.

But until someone can show me some evidence of her behavior warranting this, I'm not buying it.

16. van chief

van chief Member

When the child is born, it shall seek out those who harmed its mother!! The child will use super powers the police unwittingly bestowed upon it while in the womb, to dole out great vengeance!!!! There will be no STUN MODE there will be no MERCY!!!!

ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ………………

[​IMG]

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I found a picture of him as an adult...

[​IMG]

18. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see some implication in the story that she also refused to get out of her car when asked. And, that the tasering helped the officers get her out of the car to arrest her. It sounds like she should not have been arrested. But, if she was tased to help in peacefully removing her from the car and cuffing her, doesn't that change the complexion of the story a bit? It's a least better than "sign this or I'll tase you again!" which is the implication of the first paragraph or two.

20. Southern Select

If you can't handle signing a simple speeding ticket after being caught going 32 in a school zone then you are breaking the law AND causing a problem.

I will never get tasered for a incomplex speeding ticket. The thought is laughable. Then again I am not constantly thinking that I am a victim, I don't think that I am not responsible for my unlawful actions, and I respect the police. The few times that I have been pulled over, I usually have a nice chat with the officer about the weather etc., and wish him a safe day.

The loud-mouth b**** deserved it.