1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Couple, Still Dressed In Evening Attire, Shot Multiple Times

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JayZ750, Dec 22, 2005.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The following occured a couple of miles from where I live. About a month ago, a guy tried to rob a townhome in the area and the owner shot and killed the burglar. In the 4 prior years, there was barely any activity.

1. Should I be concerned. 2. Should I have some kind of "protection" beyond my fist or a golf club?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/5610611/detail.html

Robbery Possible Motive For Engaged Couple's Killing
    Couple, Still Dressed In Evening Attire, Shot Multiple Times

POSTED: 8:39 am CST December 22, 2005
    UPDATED: 11:31 am CST December 22, 2005

HOUSTON -- A man was seen running from a Heights-area townhouse shortly before police found a couple dead inside Thursday morning, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Officers with the Houston Police Department found a man and woman shot to death at the a townhome in the 3900 block of Floyd Street near Leverkuhn Street.

Police said the couple, who was engaged and in the process of planning their wedding, might have startled an intruder when the arrived home shortly after midnight. The couple was still dressed in evening attire.

"The gate opened and I went inside. I saw my next-door neighbor lying in the foyer in a pool of blood. She didn't look like she was alive," a resident who asked not to be identified told KPRC Local 2.

Nearby residents told investigators they heard several gunshots fired at about 12:15 a.m. and saw a man in his 20s running away from the scene carrying a large bag.

"Tall, black male dressed in dark clothing, about mid 20s or early 20s," an HPD homicide investigator said.

The woman was shot three to four times in the upper torso. Authorities have not said how many times and where the man was shot.

Emergency workers pronounced the couple dead at the scene. Their identities have not yet been released, but authorities said they were in their 30s and that the woman owned the townhouse.

Investigators said there were signs of forced entry into the home and they suspect robbery was the motive, but the incident remains under investigation.

The killer remains on the run.

Anyone with information should call the Houston Police Department's Homicide Division at (713) 308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at (713) 222-TIPS.

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Who ever did this should get the book thrown at them :mad: ****IN PUNKS!!

JayZ.. if you dont have kids, maybe get a gun.. then again you never know if this couple was killed with a gun the robber found at the house.. It's a toss up..

3. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

OK, what's the fascination with the whole 'evening attire' thing? They were out at night, then they came home. What's so unusual? Clown suits, bear costumes ... that I could understand.

Perhaps they will find the guilty part driving his car ... SITTING IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT!

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Gun and wall safe. I'm just waiting for an income tax check. Glock 40 cal...the 45 felt great to me as well. Still a toss up though.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

I don't have the mental capacity to responsibly carry a firearm, so I take other measures.

-Network with your neighbors. Become each other's eyes. Exchange phone numbers, etc..

-Make sure everything is properly lit around your house. Install motion sensor lighting.

-Look around the outside of your house and trim bushes that may aid in an intruder hiding.

-Purchase an intermittent timer to turn on the kitchen light, so it seems like someone is always home.

-Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when coming home at night.

That's pretty much all you can do, short of hiring armed guards. A lot of times, even with the above measures, you can't stop an intruder. They could pretty much just knock your front door down while you are home and invade your home. You do what you can to prevent stuff like this, but it all ends up being a toss up.

6. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

One way to SLOW this type of crimes down would be PUBLIC executions. If you kill someone you will be taken 1 week later and killed so that entire public can view. I guarantee that crime would drop

#6 DUCK2324, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, screw the whole due process thing.

RIP. It's always sad when someone is taken before their time, but this couple was probably the happiest they've ever been. I do know that if someone was to take my wife away from me, I'd probably wish they took me too. Can't even imagine. :(

8. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

I personally would allow the family of the deceased the oppurtunity to kill them by any needs necessary. Personally I would light there assses up with fire.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Man I feel guilty that I laughed while reading a thread like this, but that was pretty funny.

Scary to hear about things like this, it can happen anywhere. My cousin was involved in a really scary home invasion about a year ago at his apartment in the Memorial area.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you live in a big city like Houston, prepared to be robbed or mugged at some point in your life. I always pack heat where ever I go that is allowed. If you don't want to carry a firearm, then carry a taser gun at the least. It is the minimum you can do to save yourself and your family from these animals in society.

11. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

That is sad.

My mother was the victim of a home invasion once, in the middle of the day, when her car was parked in the driveway. The intruders kicked down the front door, which set off a battery powered alarm. They ran away when they heard it go off, THEN CAME BACK AND DISCONNECTED IT A FEW SECONDS LATER! That little alarm made all the difference though, it allowed my mother time to hide and call the police.

A few things we learned. Most homes are easy to break into.

- Door locks are useless if you don't secure the door jamb. My mother had 5 locks on her front door (2 chain locks, a deadbolt, a doorknob, and a hinge lock), and all it took was a couple of kicks to break in. Get security strike plates for your outer doors and 4" screws to replace those tiny 3/4" screws that are usually there.

- Get dogs. My father did not like dogs, but after this break-in we rescued two from the animal shelter. They are great companions and deterrents.

- Get some alarm system stickers at least, if not an actual alarm.

- Don't rely on the police to get there quickly. They took 3 hours before they arrived at my mother's house. Make sure you have somewhere to hide and some way to defend yourself other than a phone.

- Windows will be a weak link. Most have crappy locks, and of course they can be broken. I'm not sure what a good way to prevent entry through here is, short of security bars. Maybe storm windows?

- Secure your garage. One common thing to do is pry a garage door panel up and pull the emergency release on the garage door opener. Then they can close the garage and break in through the interior door, unseen. If you remove the cord it is harder to break in.

- About firearms. I would only get one if I could secure it and had instruction and practice. It is a huge responsibility to own a firearm in my opinion. I'd get a shotgun over a handgun. I'd get pepper spray at the very least.

- Get a good small flashlight. Sometimes I forget to turn on my lights when I come back at night, and a flashlight is just a handy thing to have in my pocket anyway.

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

jayz, ur all the protection you need.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I do have thunder and lighting hanging from my shoulders, but...

If only I had time, I would take a firearm class. then I could make a more informed decision. As is, I don't see how I can get one with such little experience handling guns. Can anyone recommend a good class?

But I do live in Houston, and as mentioned, these things do happen, so I may get a taser, or pepper spray. We already have an alarm.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I have dogs that will go nuts anytime they hear something outside. Not the best protection, but I figure if an intruder hears dogs barking then that makes them more likely to try the next house instead of mine.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

JayZ750 - my brother lives in that townhome community, on the other side. (Blossom Street) He's about to have a baby and this is really freaking him out - it's freaking me out too. So freaking sad.

16. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

you live in texas, just get a shot gun like everyone else, and a poster on the lawn "unlawful entrees will be shot"

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

lol, yeah found that a bit odd too

obviously you need evening attire to get shot at.

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Brinks home security with a "Brinks" sticker on every window and a sign out front and in back.

Police officer told me that it pretty much diverts 99.9% of criminals in the mood to break in.

You can also buy an inexpensive color/motion activated/night vision camera and monitor these days... less than $100 and can be run through any VCR and TV.

If you still want a weapon, do not get a 9mm for in the house. A 9mm bullet can go through the intended target, keep going through the exterior wall of a home, and into the neighbor's home killing an uninvolved innocent person.

Usually a smaller gauge shotgun like a .410, or a .357 Magnum/.38 handgun can be plenty to knock down an intruder, and perhaps without killing them until the police arrive. If they are armed however, you had better have more than one round immediately available unless you want to die in a gun fight.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't shooting an intruder likely result in retaliation by someone close to the casualty?

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Buy hollow points. If someone broke into my home while I was in it and I was 100% sure he had a weapon. You bet Im going to kill him/her. Im not taking any risk of the burgler potentionally harming/killing anyone in the home. Would you rather kill or be killed?