1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Countdown to the 2013 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I've seen Texans drafting ILB Minter out of LSU on an intial mock. I'm down with a SEC LB.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

we really need a fast atheletic ILB...and Ogletree would fit the billing...but not sure if he will still be on the board...

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He'll be gone according to mocks.

Another look could be Terrance Williams (WR). He could be our future #1. Size and speed with great work ethic.

We need more weapons. Posey's injury makes it worth looking at.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

ILB to pair with Cushing + Depth
    OLB for depth/competition - Barwin is gone and we need more than just Mercilus/Reed
    DE - Smith is likely a cap casualty
    DT - Cody is a FA, would be nice to upgrade that spot
    WR - depends on Posey's prognosis for recovery
    TE - would be nice to have one that's a good blocker
    FB - undrafted FA. Casey's a FA and is a nice receiving option, but a good Leach type blocking FB would help in the run game

I really don't see them touching OL. Brooks and Jones were rookies. Newton is a 2nd year player. They'll probably give each at least another year to develop. But getting a FB and blocking TE in there will help a lot.

They will not draft a QB this year. Bank on it.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Hopefully we take a chance on Lattimore and stash him away...Trade Ben Tate and Owen Daniels...Cut Smith, Walter(for cash)...get FA OLine...look to get a legit #2wr

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Someone I don't see on a lot of draft boards until 2nd-3rd round range is Chase Thomas out of Stanford.

Seems like a Texans type of guy, high energy high character. Could slot right in for Barwin's FA departure.

1 person likes this.
  7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I don't see the Texans taking Minter, he has sexy stats but if you look closer more than half of his tackles were assists.

Chase Thomas and Olegtree seem like better fits. both are great athletes and more instinctive than Minter.

As for WR I really Like Da'Rick Rodgers, Justin Hunter and Tavon Austin. Austin prolly the most.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I agree that the lost FAs will drive the top who the Texans draft next season.

I wonder how much interest Casey will generate in FA. The Texans might be able to resign him.

I could see Antonio Smith reworking his contract as well.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

They should continue to beef up the defense. ILB and Safety are two glaring needs, IMO. A third safety more so for the sub package and depth. OLB should be set with Tim Jamison returning from injury and with Brian Braman becoming more seasoned. I'm hoping Brooks Reed was just suffering from a sophomore slump.

As for offense I'd look add another WR afterPosey's injury and eyeball TEs and QBs. Also, during the end of season interviews I'd really challenge Martin, Jean, Newton, Brooks, and Jones to make huge strides during the offseason. Getting Rashad Butler back from injury should help out the O-line. Matt Schaub needs to do some soul searching this offseason, I doubt that Kubiak will be looking to replace him, so he needs to come back with more fire and prepared to take risks and make plays.

Cheers to the offseason, and a spring/summer filled with more home improvements and landscaping projects. Memories of my first born, she'll be here in April. And here's to continued hope for the ability to watch Rockets games.

10. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

1R. Tyler Wilson - QB- Arkansas

2R. Alec Ogletree – ILB – Georgia

3R. Bacarr Rambo – S – Georgia

4R. Marcus Davis – WR – Virginia Tech

5R. Lane Johnson - OL- Oklahoma

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I now realize that our only shot at a SB with Schaub as our QB is to have an ELITE Defense. That said, draft ALL defense and hope you hit some home runs like jj watt. We've got to build an elite D ASAP so do it with the draft and spend all your available money in free agency on defense.

Giving schaub weapons is useless. He's got more than enough weapons as is, maybe you could maybe pick up a new TE for depth but that's it. There are a bunch of decent FAs, dennis pita, jared cook, bennett, etc...,.

once schaub is gone then we can add some offensive weapons.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

draft a special teams coach

13. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I would love to get this guy but I agree I dont think he will be on the board. We definitely need an upgrade at the position alongside Cushing.

I think posters on here are being harsh on Antonio Smith. While I do think he is due for a contract restructure, the guy is pretty much exactly what you want from a 3-4 DE. We are just spoiled because the guy on the other side is the best defensive player in the league.

I really liked the way Posey was coming along but that injury is going to be a huge ordeal. I dont think he will suit up a game next season and then has to get acclimated again like he did this year. He may never pan out at all; therefore we should probably draft another receiver but not in the 1st or 2nd.

Positions I would like to upgrade: ILB, NT, OT, WR
    Positions I could also see us drafting: OLB (if Barwin not resigned), RB (depending on what we decide on Tate), CB/S (you can never have enough)

I dont see us drafting a QB but definitely could see us signing one as UDFA like usual.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Texans have two ways to go about this...

1. Load up on defense via the draft...
    2. Sign players via Free Agency for the offense

or go offense and make spot FA defensive acquisitions

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

I would wait on WR till the later rounds and see if we can nab Ryan Swope in the 4th round, who would be the perfect slot receiver. I would go: DE, ILB, NT, WR, TE, S, MLB

16. HeyBudLetsParty

Jordan Reed out of Florida has great potential. Future Aaron Hernandez IMO. Could be a steal in the 3rd

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

There's only one player I've watched this year and thought, "God, I hope the Texans get that guy." That's the center from Alabama. He's been a stud at all three line positions, and he's smart, athletic, big. He seems like the next Bruce Matthews. I don't know where he'll go, but I hope the Texans get him. He can play right guard now, and be groomed to take over for Myers.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you believe they're going to draft a QB in the first round, you need your head examined. It ain't happening.

ILB is the most glaring need and it really isn't close to any other position right now based on the current roster. There has to be less of a talent gap between Cushing and everyone else. Maybe Sharpton comes back healthy and ready to contribute, but I think we can improve on him through the draft.

Fixing the right side of the OL is probably 2nd.

WR, Safety, and DL would be 3-5 in any order.

19. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agree I too would want the Texans to get this guy but watch the A&M Bama game and keep an eye on 99 for A&M (Spencer Nealy). Dude abuses Barrett Jones all game.