1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Countdown to elimination

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wikiwiki, Mar 27, 2010.

?

What date will we be eliminated

Poll closed Apr 16, 2010.
  1. 3/30 Rockets lose to Wizards (You damn pessimist)

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. 3/31 Rockets lose to SA or Portland beats NY

48 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. 4/1 Blazers beat Denver

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. 4/2 Rockets lose to Boston or SA beats Orlando

24 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. 4/3 Portland beats Sacramento

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 4/4 SA beats Lakers or Houston loses to Indiana

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. 4/6 Rockets lose to Memphis or SA beats Sacramento (Wow! Optimist! Good For you!)

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. 4/7 Portland beats Clippers, Rockets lose to Utah, or SA beats Phoenix

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. 4/8 or later (my birthday!!)(and seriously? Give me some of that good stuff)

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. MOMMY SAID I COULD DO WHATEVER I PUT MY MIND TO!!! WAAAAAH! WE'RE GONNA PLAY LAKERS IN 1st ROUND

63 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

To make it simple for anyone who wants to keep track and not spend 2 minutes looking up the standings:

If the Rockets lose 4 more games, or the Blazers win four more games, we will be officially eliminated from the playoffs.
    Also, any combination of that, so, for example, Blazers win 2 and Houston loses 2 = elimination

The Rockets have 11 games left, Blazers have 10.

If you want to follow the Spurs instead (pointless, I know: so much for needing Tony Parker and "tough schedules"), they also can't win four more games, but they have 11 games left, so they have more wiggle room than the Blazers.

To make it interesting (since we know we'll be eliminated), pick the night that you think we'll be eliminated.

2. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

I think 3/31 if we lose to San Antonio. That night we'll lose any chance of catching Portland either way. We might hang around till 4/2 or 4/4 versus San Antonio if we win that night.

(And really?? Someone already voted for option 10 :grin: :grin: :grin: C'mon fess up, who are you?)

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Lakers have been loosing to the teams we need to loose-
    because they don't wan't to face the Rockets again in the first round!!!
    So expect a big effort by the Lakers tonight in Houston! :p

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is a depressing thread lol

Elimination happened at the 3 minutes mark of the 3rd qtr vs the Bulls, saddly. :confused:

5. Breaker

Breaker Member

It's over for me. Playoffs is out the window for this season.

a bit OT, but is it possible we don't win another game after the Washington game?

vs LA Lakers
    vs Washington
    @ San Antonio
    @ Boston
    @ Indiana
    @ Memphis
    vs Utah
    vs Charlotte
    @ Phoenix
    @ Sacramento
    vs New Orleans

We could possibly be top 8 when it's all said in done.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

People are going to vote for the last one just to piss you off.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Elimination happened in early May when Yao Ming tumbled to the floor against the Los Angeles Lakers and came up limping. Yes that is when we were eliminated from the playoffs in 2010.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So the rockets are too slutty?
    What?

In all seriousness, both Portland and SA have looked sharper than we have. They deserve it more.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

We have realistically been eliminated for about a week or two now.

But officially hmm some time in April.

10. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

lol, good call. didn't see that coming /sarcasm :p :p

Just to clarify for the jokers with the snarky remarks about how we've already been out of the running for a while- The point is to predict accurately when MATHEMATICAL elimination will occur- i.e. how long are current squad, depleted as they are, can hang on.

11. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Okay, now that we lost and Portland won tonight, we have two games against them before they get out of our reach. That is if they win 2 or we lose 2 then we're eliminated with respect to Portland.

Versus San Antonio we are now 3 games from elimination.

So none of the options in the poll have been nullified, but obviously the sooner ones are now more likely.

I took into account both of today's games, so I'm sticking with my prediction.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Er, no we can't.

We've got 36 losses. Even if we lose every single game from here on out, the Clippers (45 losses), Pacers (46 losses), Knicks (46 losses) and Sixers (47 losses) have to win almost every game to catch up. At best, we'll be 11th. And even that's no guarantee if Chicago and Nola continue losing.

Memphis 34 losses
    Houston 36 losses
    Chicago 38 losses
    New Orleans 40 losses
    LA Clippers 45 losses
    Indiana 46 losses
    New York 46 losses
    Philadelphia 47 losses
    Sacramento 49 losses
    Detroit 49 losses
    Washington 51 losses
    Golden State 51 losses
    Minnesota 59 losses
    New Jersey 64 losses

13. rawool

rawool Member

I hope they get eliminated on your birthday. :grin:

14. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Wow, the Spurs really spanked the Celts tonight. Is it just me, or are they looking damn good. And all this without Tony Parker, and Timmy playing terrible. I'm thinking of following them in the playoffs now.

Portland also won, so we now are 2 games away from elimination by the Spurs and only one away by Portland.

I think it's safe to say the Spurs will beat NJ tomorrow and Portland will beat the knicks on the 31. I still think we can beat the Wizards, so I'm going to stick with my prediction of 3/31.

Let's see if the Rockets can make it more interesting???

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wanted to vote for an option that wasn't taken (0 votes). I voted incorrectly.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We're full in the stupid thread department, so you went ahead and made a fully anti-team thread. I applaud the initiative.

17. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

It's not really anti-team at all. :mad: We know we're not gonna make the playoffs, so why not vote on how far we think the team's going to go?

Should we all put our heads in the sand and pout for the rest of the season, instead?

18. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

The rockets finally eliminated one of our poll options!!
    By winning against the Wizards, and because of the Spurs losing (to the NEts?!) we were saved from elimination by the Spurs. Even better, if we manage to hold of the spurs tomorrow night, we will be two games away from elimination, meaning a higher chance of sticking around for 2 or more games after that.

(We're still just one game from elimination by Portland, meaning if they win a game, we're out even if we don't lose any more games :()

If you chose Mar, 30 in the poll, thank you for playing, and you should be more optimistic next time! :grin:

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Murder the Spurs!!!

Manu is going to flop all over the place.

Chuckie will have to hold Timmy back.

Our height will hurt us.

I expect Trevor Ariza to be the difference maker if we win. We'll need his slashing.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

my mom never told me that :(