1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Count Down to enter the top 25 for the Cougars!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Zacatecas, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The Cougars last week beat two top 25 teams and didn't get into the top 25. This week they did a nice job on Sam Houston. They have a 1 point loss.

They are 27 in one poll and in the mid 30's in the other.

Do the Cougars get into the top 25 this week? Or will they have to wait a bit longer?

Penders is a true basketball coach. Again, I am so amazed how quickly the Cougars are playing defense and basketball.

Wouldn't it be something if they make some noise in the NCAA :D

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I thought they would have after the two ranked wins, but I'm not sure we get there with a win of SHSU...Although, Arizona shouldn't be ranked anymore...

They will definitely be making noise this March...

3. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I think that 1pt loss to VCU hurt them in getting into the top 25.
    Had they been undefeated they would have broke in the week after the Arizona game.

4. surrender

surrender Member

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

eat em up!

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Back on the map!

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Houston hoops for real
    Dick Vitale
    SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM

Dec. 12, 2005

I remember making a comment during the Memphis-Duke game. I said that John Calipari and the Tigers were going to benefit from the departures of Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul, Marquette and South Florida from Conference USA.

I also commented that Memphis should become the kings of Conference USA with those other teams now in the Big East. The Tigers should dominate year after year. I remembered when Calipari's Massachusetts teams in the Atlantic 10 were so strong, battling John Chaney's Temple Owls for supremacy. The Minutemen won the regular season and tournament titles five straight years (1992-96, though in '96 the league was split in two divisions and Massachusetts won the East crown). I expected that kind of dominance in C-USA for Memphis.

After making those statements, my phone rang. I received a message from Houston coach Tom Penders. It came booming through -- "Wait a minute, Dickie V. I love you, but there are some teams in Conference USA that can play like Houston and UAB!"

You know what … Penders is right. Tommy baby, that doesn't mean it's automatic cupcake city for Memphis with everyone in your league. I just felt that the Tigers will be the best in the long term. Memphis will have to lace 'em up against the Houstons and UABs of the world, and it won't be easy.

Penders has quietly done an incredible job rejuvenating basketball in Houston. Who could forget the good old days when the Cougars dominated? The Phi Slama Jama days in 1983, when my buddy Jimmy V. got the last laugh with the Lorenzo Charles slam dunk against future Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Guy V. Lewis did a phenomenal job building that program, and I have often wondered why he hasn't received his due. National championships have become the criteria for making the Hall of Fame. Lewis did a tremendous job for so many years at Houston.

Penders has people down in Houston excited again. His club sent messages with big-time quality wins over LSU and Arizona. The Cougars' coach also pointed out the score of the most recent Houston-Memphis game. (His team beat the Tigers last season, 66-53, holding Rodney Carney to just five points.)

The reasons Houston will compete in Conference USA is because of Penders' positive attitude and incredible spirit and enthusiasm. Two guys from the East -- Penders and Calipari -- should go at it this season. The schedule makers in Conference USA must have had a flair for the dramatic in mind as Houston and Memphis meet just once this season. It will be the final regular-season game, on March 4 in Memphis.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Arkansas 80, Rice 61

Record: 4-5

OOPS!

11. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

At 16 and 6, the Coogs are 10 games over .500 for the first time in 13 or so odd years.

Go Cooogs!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

They have win every game left except the Memphis game and make at least finals of CUSA tournment to have any shot of at large bid.

13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The Miners are gonna exact some serious revenge when the Coogs come to El Paso...

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

18 and 6 now and Ramon Dyer has been playing like superman for a month now.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

UH vs. UT-Mexico tonight.

It really really sucks that Tofi had a scope and now can't play.. It would have been better for both teams I think.

Either way, 8pm tipoff on CSTV (time warner channel 106 if you have digital cable)

Also, for all you Houston area coogfans, there will be a watch party at Double Dave's pizza (59 @ Weslayan) tonight.

16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Like I said in the other thread, Tofi tore his ACL and his UTEP career is done. It's really sad that the last time we'll see him on the court was down on the floor in pain...I really think that he's going to be considered a UTEP great.

Should be a gret game tonight, we've really played well at home since conference play started, just ask UAB. The crowd is going to be huge and loud, and the Cougars are going down.

Any UH fans in Dallas should come to The Stadium Cafe in Addison tonight. That's where the UTEP crowd always goes for games and it sounds like the Dallas UH Alumni chapter will be joining us there tonight...