1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could You Survive WITHOUT your computer mouse?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Could you survive without your computer mouse, and get around your PC with just your keyboard? I can. There's nothing... well, except maybe a few non-work-related things you have to do with a mouse... like some FLASH games... but, I can get around faster than anyone without a keyboard. In fact. All day this morning I have been without a mouse.

In fact, from starting CF.net on my PC to starting this thread, I have used only my keyboard. What can't you do with a keyboard?

DISCLAIMER: do not try this without a helmet. When your head explodes from not being able to do it, you don't want to splatter your cubicle or dorm. :p

2. univac hal

univac hal Member

Can't play the majority of PC games without a mouse, so.. nope. Other than that it's doable, of course. Just takes some getting used to

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I don't know what PC GAME you mean, but yeah, I feared the gamers would come out and challenge this theory of mine. I am talking web pages, the office-type software, reading email, answering forums on CF.net, etc.

What game did you have in mind? I am sure you can configure your arrow keys and some letter keys to do the things you need with the mouse. No?

When my right hand leaves the keyboard to grab the mouse, I think it takes a lot of time... bringing it back to the keyboard is also time-consuming.

If I had keyboard shortcuts for CF.net posting and replying to posts, I'd be in heaven. Clutch?

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

I am a SERIOUS keyboard guy, having come up in a world of DOS, TRS80, and UNIX.

I have taken on several challengers in a series of administrative tasks, them at the GUI and me at a DOS prompt and I smoke those suckers every time.

5. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

One simple answer: NO!

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I love my mouse, but I use key strokes for most of what I do...

7. A-Train

A-Train Member

I can mimeograph stuff faster than ALL of you chumps!

8. tested911

tested911 Member

Um if you do any online gaming you will get owned if you don't play with a mouse :) I'm not talking about those panzy games I'm talking about WoW,Counterstrike, etc.. etc...

Answer is Hell NO

Little bit of History for you fellas... Do you know what the #1 Cash cow for Microsoft was before Windows 95? It was the Microsoft Mouse...

9. univac hal

univac hal Member

Nah.. first-person shooters, real-time strategy games? Impossible.

How do you navigate around ClutchFans without a mouse right now? The only method I can think of is Tab Tab Tab all the way. Isn't that a little laborious..?

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Once again, gamers got my number. Well played.

univac, you don't TAB TAB TAB, just hold the TAB. Shift+Tab to return to a link you missed. ;)

And for the CF.net forum, I meant:
    To reply to a thread: CTRL+R
    To edit a thread: CTRL+E
    To start a new thread: CTRL+ALT+N
    etc.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Depends on what you're doing... Can survive without mouse and keyboard when i'm watching a p*rn movie. :D

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I wouldn't want to live without the scroll wheel let alone the whole freaking mouse.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

you must have a sticky keyboard or messy one from eating around it. :rolleyes:

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

On a laptop I use the keyboard, its more easier to me.

On a PC, I can live without a mouse, but the mouse make my work on the computer easier.

15. AMS

AMS Member

when your simply browsing sites , and not posting, the mouse is more essential than the keyboard.

the scrolling thing, and with the mouse gestures, the keyboard becomes less and less essential.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Survive without a mouse?? You must be mad... MAD!!! :eek:

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

You guys are so weird. I had never seen anyone very adept on the keyboard until I met moestavern. He basically shouldn't even have a mouse for his PC, cause he does everything lightning speed with keyboard shortcuts.

A bunch of weirdos the whole lot of you!! :cool:

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

You've finally met moestavern?? Like in person? :eek: :eek: :D

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

I KNOW ITS CRAZY RIGHT. :eek: ;)

20. francis 4 prez

it's weird, i resisted the scroll wheel for quite a long time when i first had a mouse with it on it. i don't know why, i just liked clicking the arrows on the side to scroll or using the arrows on the keypad. then, seemingly overnight i started using it and now i have no idea how to live without it.

at UT in the petroleum engr computer labs, they still have some computers (probably more than half) with mouses without the scroll wheel and they feel so ancient and barbaric compared to the computers with mouses with scroll wheels. like having a bunch of atari's next to some ps3's or something. i was insulted they hadn't upgraded them while my old ChE labs all had scroll wheels.

as for living without a mouse, hell no. in my grad research i learned a lot of short cut keys for opening the files i needed and extracting the info i wanted since i had to do the same steps over and over so i might do 4 or 5 keyboard shortcuts in a row for some steps (which saved a lot of time over using the mouse to click back and forth since i could type the shortcuts in rapid fire succession), but i still used the mouse to do everything else.