1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could we use magnetic force to power vehicles?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, May 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Source: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-are-magnets-used-in-roller-coasters.htm

Magnets are also used on the free-fall drop rides... which means this system will NEVER fail.

Now my question is, could they use this idea on vehicles? Couldn't they put a rotating magnet in your vehicle, that lowers down close to the road to create more force to accelerate, and then by pushing the brake pedal, the magnet can flip 180 degrees so the opposite force of the magnet is pointing towards the magnets in the road, causing the car to slow down?

With all the money the world has spent on gas, this idea seems to be very worth while investing money, time, and thought into.

Am I wrong?

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It would only be feasible in something like a rail system, and not an enormous free-form grid where cars can go wherever they want.

In some countries that believe any sort of infrastructure or mass transit is worthwhile (crazy, liberal, inferior countries), magnetic levitation has been employed for high-speed trains.

But yeah, we could try it for cars if you'll stick to one road and not change lanes. LOL. Would love to see a driver who would agree to not change lanes every 20 seconds.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we could somehow harness the earth's magnetic field, then yes.

George Jetson style baby !

DD

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KjBC2xD-rh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

generally you need electricity to generate the magnetic field, electricity comes from fossil fuels

8. DaDakota

Or Plutonium/Uranium.

DD

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Isn't this concept called an "electric motor". And I believe we have these already.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lol I was just about to point this out.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't think it'll ever be possible with cars. I've always wondered if it can be done with airplanes, though. Have magnets all around and find a way to shift them to make the plane go forward, up, or down. Of course still keep an engine, propellers, and fuel in case of emergency.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I hang a magnet from my hood about two feet in front of my car. I have a metal bumper that simply follows the magnet. I need no fuel.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

This is what the people of Atlantis did. They used the Earth's magnetic fields to power their vehicles.

14. Yak

Yak Member

Yes, yes we can.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

you do realize that toycen will try this with his last $17, right?

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Here's one for your conspiracies (also I'm assuming that you're you and not your wife):

In the past hundred years, we've gone from conceptual steam-powered "computing" machines to 20,000 vacuum tube systems that filled entire basements, to affordable consumer computers that fit comfortably on a desk, to hand-held computers that have more processing power than all the systems prior to 1990 combined.

Think of all the diseases we've cured in the past 100 years, think of the changes in home entertainment (seriously - we can have 3D televisions in our home when, 100 years ago, the absolute height of home-technology was a radio), think of just about everything ....

...and we're still using the combustion engine for personal transport? Why is it that we've invented new technologies and advanced them beyond what anyone (except a handful of science fiction writers) could imagine, we've cured and invented treatments for diseases that have been around for millennia, all of this ... and we're still using the internal combustion engine for everyday use? Why? Why has this one technology remained fundamentally resistant to change?

17. DaDakota

Money, there have been numerous advances that have been quashed in this field......100mpg cars for instance, hydrogen and battery cars from the 70s.....but big oil bought them out.

Money tree...always follow the money tree.

DD

18. Relentless

Relentless Member

Unobtainium?

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah, no money in producing a 100mpg car.

Will the real ToyCen please stand up?

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or wind, solar, tidal energy, geothermal, hydro, biomass..