1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Sheed be traded to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jun 5, 2008.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as tradable assets go, the Pistons are in great shape. Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess are heading into the last year of their contracts. Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups would have great value, especially to teams trying to get over the hump in the playoffs. Tayshaun Prince, the youngest of the core veterans, is someone who would interest almost any team.

In other words, if Dumars wants to remake the roster, it won't be that difficult.

My guess is that Wallace will be the one most in play. I could see the Philadelphia 76ers, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets, Warriors and/or Bobcats making a run at Wallace this summer. And each of those teams, except the Rockets, has a first-round pick good enough to interest the Pistons.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ry?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftNotes-080605

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

First Ford "guessed" the Pistons might be willing to trade Wallace, then he "could see" the Rockets getting involved. Fun to talk about, but that is the very definition of speculation.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

There is already two threads talking about Pistons/Rockets trade scenerios...

Here

and

Here

Edit: I missed the end there talking about how they could see the Rockets being involved. But we are already talking about it, because when Dumars threw everyone under the bus that was my first thought.. no golden cow in Detroit... is the golden cow in Houston?

4. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

very misleading title, tsk tsk tsk.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Why are we chasing a career headcase at a position that we're fairly good at?

Billups would make sense for us, and that's about it.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think the media is overvaluing sheed. He's a 34 year old 13 and 6 guy who is on the decline. People might want his expiring contract and want to have the first crack at him when his contract is up but no team that's trying to win now like the rockets would have much use for him unless they could get him for cheap.

13 and 6 isn't really that far fetched for Scola next season so what would be the reason for getting him? That would be one of those bad Shaq/Kidd trades.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scola averaged more than that against Boozer in the playoffs.....

Sheed is a malcontent whose skills are on the decline....STAY away from RaWEED !

DD

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I agree with you on Sheed being a malcontent and on the downside of his career, but would hate to see a rival like the Spurs get him.

9. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Ok, sure Rasheed is a 13 and 6 guy. But he is something that Scola is not, and may never be.

Versatile.

Rasheed can make turnaround jumpers, layups, monster dunks, and most importantly, the THREE ball.

This versatility is what makes him impossible to guard! Scola can't even hit from 13 feet away. Rasheed can hit from 25.

Players like Mehmet Okur, who is a VERSATILE 7 footer, can give many teams problems. (Dirk N., Yi, etc.)

Why would you choose a rookie that knows only layups and flops over a Playoff-tested, versatile veteran?

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

Sheed:

would've been a gr8 pickup when younger, despite his emotional baggage. the bottom line on sheed is well known: overly emotional but just wants to win. gr8 lockerroom teammate as he has gotten older. the problem now imo is he already has his trophy (or belt in his case), and I question if he would corral that emotion in houston. further, I don't want a complainer/whiner on a team with two soft superstars. we need a warrior (not peitrus, btw).

dyess:

getting long in the tooth. still productive, and a nice backup, yes, but not someone to give up expirings for. maybe for an alston IF and only IF we have a suitable pg in line via a separate deal.

chauncey:

going nowhere. why would joe dumars trade his backcourt combo? billups was injured this postseason and still gave it his all. no reason to deal him.

so the only possible detroit deal that I can see being beneficial for both teams is along the lines of alston for dyess. two very good backups that could fill in on occasion (dyess subbing 4 an injured yao).

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why not just go get Tim Thomas? He's cheaper,younger and provides the same thing. He shoots the 3, can post up, take guys off the dribble and makes rafer alston money.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't mind players that work on their inside game then extend their range out over time. Guys like Olajuwon, D. West, Malone, etc... The guys you mentioned I absolutely loath. The big 7fters that primarily take long range jumpers. Guys like that get slurped yet never have as big of an impact as advertised. They can't get themselves involved, its hard for them to put an imprint on the game, instead their big shots come off confused defenses and broken plays.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sheed is a pretty good defender at the PF position though.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Why are we even discussing this? The Rockets have no assets Detroit wants or needs save Yao or possibly T-Mc.

15. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Agreed. The only way we take Sheed is to get at Billips or Prince and to use his expiring contract the following year.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Everyone on this board knows that Sheed is the PERFECT compliment to Yao.

3-point range, good defense, tall, great 2nd post up option, good rebounder, and nasty attitude.

But the Rockets have bigger needs, and the Pistons would demand the Rockets best trading pieces (aside from McGrady and Yao). I'm not sure that would be enough to land Wallace.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If somehow we can get Sheed and Rip or Billups without giving up Yao or T-Mac, I would pull the trigger.

18. luhbron

luhbron Member

Battier has said in the past that he would love to play in Detroit and Dumars did emphasize their need to acquire defensive help...

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

T. Prince and Battier play the same position -- and Prince is the better defender and has offense as well.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We have nothing they want. Maybe Tmac in a package, or Scola and Landry. He'd definitely give other teams matchup problems and plays tremendous defense on the block. He and Yao together would lock the paint down. But I really don't know why Detroit would trade him to us.