1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Ricky Rubio low pt and FG% be a product of having too many great scorer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coffeelover665, Feb 10, 2014.

1. coffeelover665

Rubio dropping in the last 3 game averaging 21 pt, 7 assist, and 5 rebounds. This period is when there are injuries to Kevin Love, Pek, and Kevin Martin. Before the injuries his points were in the single digits but his assist were in the double digits.

Were we being too hard on him? Is he actually a good player and is always looking to pass and the reason for his bad points and fg% are because he takes that last ditch shot when he has no one to pass to?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do other top PGs shoot historically low %s when they have scorers as teammates?

Steve Nash played on PHX teams with high scoring talented teammates and passed to them often, yet his shooting %s are high. Same goes with Chris Paul.

Rubio is very talented and even his critics acknowledge his skills in passing and defense. But his inability to score efficiently is very real and more than a matter of having teammates who can score.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

no, we're not

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He is still shooting 41% over that 3 game stretch.

He has gotten to the free throw line more, which is good, but still looks like he still has a lot of trouble finishing. I guess he is similar to Lillard in that aspect, who is a poor finisher around the rim but somehow going to the free throw line at a pretty decent rate

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No. A 3-game sample isn't meaningful. And, what good is a great player who can't be great when he has great teammates? You can't win a championship like that. If that were so, he should go to some lowly lotto-bound team... like the T-wolves, for example.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Teaming with high usage players typically increases the FG% of poor shooters, not the other way around. Guys aren't forced to take shots outside of their comfort range.

Rubio's ppg would certainly increase if he took more shots, but the already terrible FG% wouldn't rise in a larger sample set.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

PTs yes, FGs no.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Excuses excuses.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Having good teammates generally makes players more efficient as scorers, not less.

Rubio's scoring fundamentals just aren't good. Maybe part of his unorthodox style is what makes him such a creative playmaker, but it doesn't explain why he misses so many damn layups.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no, he has an awful shooting action and release

11. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

There is no excuses for finishing under 50% at the rim.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I don't buy your hypothesis, let alone the supposed facts surrounding it. The Timberwolves are 20th in TS% and only 9th in offense.

I assume it is psychological, like Dwight's FT shooting.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

There's no correlation at all. A good shooter and scorer is going to "get his" whether he's the focal point of the offense or not.

At the very least, he's going to have to get his 3-pt% up near 40% or better. That way, he's at least dangerous as an outside threat and could potentially thrive in a triangle type offense or inside-outside offense such as ours. Like CH said, his passing and defense is already elite level. He just needs to slowly hone his offensive craft. Becoming a knockdown outside shooter would be the first step in that process and he has the hotspots to back that potential up.

14. jms99

jms99 Member

Any guard can average 25 points per game if given the playing time.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's a product of him sucking at shooting.

16. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Even Beverly?

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He suffers not being able to make a layup, and not knowing how to shoot a jump shot properly

18. Raven

Raven Member

He would be terrifying if he could only shoot, but he's not a starter on a championship team until he learns how to make baskets. As I've said before, I bet he heads back to Europe once his contract expires.

19. coffeelover665

Maybe my theory have some missing variables.

I've started watching a lot of Timberwolves game because I got a lot of Timberwolves players on my fantasy roster. I sometime beg Rubio to shoot but he never does.... He only shoots when he absolutely have to and that usually turns out to be a terrible shot selection. He tries too hard to set up teammates.

Another factor is his body strength. He never hit the weight room in Europe and it was his first time lifting this year. I noticed whenever he drives, the smallest amount of contact will affect his shot greatly. However, whenever there is no contact but the defender is a huge rim protector that just make a play on the ball, he finishes rather easily (according to the eye test).

His ACL injury had made him less aggressive as past year also.

20. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Why would he do that? Playing in the NBA is his dream, and he's young and it's not like he's a scrub. And if anything, he would wait until his next contract expires so that he actually goes back with some sizeable amount of money. Right now he's still in his rookie contract