1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Morey's plan be to somehow get Dwight and JSmith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mark, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

Could Morey be looking for someway somehow to get both here next year? Would it even be possible? Sign Dwight to the max and do a sign and trade with Atlanta for Smith? Who would we have to ship out to clear salary space?

2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I dont know

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Worst 74th post ever...

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

maybe....maybe no

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

maybe, maybe no

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Almost certainly not.

8. CertifiedTroll

We would be pretty good.

9. rogower

rogower Member

Oh, lord, make it stop!

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Most likely not... especially if someone is going to offer Smith close to a max contract that he has to match this Summer, and he thinks that he's going to have to pay Harden, Howard(after acquired and extended), and Smith(free agent extension) all on one payroll. It would leave the team in a completely terrible situation financially where they would have zero flexibility to build around that core.

More than likely he's just worried about getting that #2 star player first. Whether that's Howard, Smith, Milsap, Love, etc. who the hell knows. What I do know is that he's most likely not planning on getting 2 more all star players if he thinks they are all going to be max salary players.... so take that for what you will.

So I say pretty clearly NO.

11. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

If we do get them then we're gonna have to rework our whole offense. We're gonna have to actually run some post plays.

12. dacodeman

dacodeman Member

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

You have been a member since 2001 and only have 74 posts? This seems pretty special.... so to answer your question, I think his plan is to find the player that will get this team to a championship. Honestly, I don't have faith in Dwight being that player even with a better supporting cast than LA. Smith, well unless he comes cheap he won't make this team a contender. If by some miracle we manage to get both, I don't know if we'd be better than OKC and the Heat. It really depends on if Dwight could be that dominating player he once was in Orlando.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

From a cap standpoint, very improbable. The only scenario where this works is if the Rockets release just about everyone and give Howard a max contract, then send Asik and someone else(say Patterson) to Atlanta for Josh Smith in a S&T. The Rockets would then be left with Howard, Smith&Smith, Parsons, Harden, Lin, Beverly, Anderson, and 1 or 2 of our young PFs.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think once you get that 2nd star the 3rd option is much easier to find.

Since you won't have to rely on that guy much. Your first two stars should make the game much easier.

I think Lin would get a lot more assists with Howard than Asik. If you just look at how he played with Chandler...

16. dantian

dantian Member

UNLIKELY. Josh Smith is not worth the money he'd be demanding, and Dwight won't leave 30 mil on the table for coming here.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I bet he would leave money on the table to get the hell out of LA and on a contender. I don't see any way he stays with the Lakers.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Are you okay with paying Josh Smith max salary contract?

19. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

Maybe not max but close to it. With Dwight and Smith being friends, and the possibility of winning a championship if they were to team up with Harden, Parsons, and Lin. Maybe this is how Morey convinces them to both to take less for the sake of winning for a long time. Improbable but this starting lineup is pretty awesome.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard