1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Memphis taking Warrick portend a deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drexlerfan22, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rhester

rhester Member

I can see right nowthat whoever signs Swift next year he is going to be way overpaid.

He is not going to be an elite PF. Not unless he can face up and shoot, he is not a savage rebounder, just very athletic.

Swift is being over hyped.

I would like to have him, but I don't consider him the savior.

2. The Real Shady

Next year's nba draft is going to be one of the worst ever. With the new rule changes there will not be any high schoolers or international players under 19 allowed to enter. This is going to give the draft very little depth and probably the only chance to land a player that can contribute would be in the lottery.

3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Very true point. But if the Rockets go deep into playoffs next year and end up with another late round pick, is it worth trading then or holding on to?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Both Wesley and James...not Swift/Wright.

In either case, the question is still whether Memphis wants to add the same salary in return at those positions and whether we want to pay Swift that much.

5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Whats the fasination with Swift. The guy has been in the league 5 years and he has done nothing. His best year was his second year and he has gotten worse since then. Why do we need a 9 pts, 5 reb guy when we already have a better power forward?

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L

7. moonnumack

moonnumack Member

I tend to agree. He came out as the #2 pick, and I thought he was gonna be an All_Star caliber player after watching him at LSU. However, he's been in the league long enough to realize some of that potential. I know he's athletic, but I don't think he's worth a lot of money or years on a contract. At this point, I'd rather go with a more reliable guy like SAR who is no non-sense, rebounds, and scores efficiently around the bucket. I know he's never played on a winner, but I bet he'd love to change that vy joining T-Mac & Yao. I'd give Swift no more than the MLE.

8. wt horn

wt horn Member

Hmmm. Could Lindsey's comment that things have crystalized mean we have agreed to a trade that cannot be executed yet? :confused:

Word on the streets a few weeks before the Draft was Memphis was trying to unload their first round pick.

There was a lot of speculation that we would make a S&T for Swift with them for their pick, Swift, player(s) they wanted to unload for some of our expiring contracts.

The only way that speculation could come to fruitation is for them to draft who we wanted, sign Swift after the July signing date, and then make the trade. Maybe our draft choice could be involved as well.

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Member

I think the Grizzlies are just going to let Swift walk. I believe it even more now since they picked up Warrick.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Well yeah, that's what I said from the start, Wesley AND James, otherwise Swift's salary could only be at the MLE level. I never even suggested trading only one of them. Which is why I'm really confused as to where you got the idea that this deal wouldn't pay Swift enough.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Member

It's really hard to say he has done nothing since he's only come off the bench. He has put up pretty good numbers for the minutes he plays. 10ppg 5rpg and 1.5bpg in only 21 minutes of play.

Imagine what Swift could do if he played 35 minutes a game.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

15 and 8 still isn't worth much more than the mle unless he can add some blocks and D.

I would much rather have SAR. At least he has proven he can deliver that much over a career.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Member

15 & 8 doesn't seem that impressive on paper, but Swift is already a good defender and probably the best out of the FA potentials.

He already blocks almost 2 shots a game in 20 minutes. A couple of JVG lessons and Swift could be a devastating blocker coming from the weakside, kinda like what KMart does.

I like SAR as well, his offensive game and rebounding would be a good addition to the team. But I think Swift is a much better defender and has lot of potential.

I'd be happy with Swift or SAR in a Rockets uni next season.

14. gbritton

gbritton Member

remember, we arent getting a pf to put up a crazy amount of points. we want our pf to be long and atheletic that finnishes hard to the rim and can help yao play some crazy defense downlow. with swifts long arms and atheletic strength... he would be perfect for our position. we already have a finnese offensive minded pf in howard. we dont need two of them with sar. i like sar...but i just dont believe he is the best answer to our problems downlow.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

I wouldn't mind SAR either... at all.

But here are their numbers, adjusted to 35 minutes per game (and I added Wright, since I still like him okay):

Swift: 16.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.5 blocks
    SAR: 17.1 points, 7.4 rebounds, 0.7 blocks
    Wright: 11.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks

Now SAR is certainly the best outside shooter of any of these guys, but he's also certainly the least productive on the boards and on the defensive end. That's some nice shotblocking out of Swift. I'd be pretty happy with any of them really... but if I had to choose I'd probably pick Swift first, then SAR, then Wright.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Because I skimmed through it in your initial post. That's why I said I didn't realize...not that complicated.

17. crossover

crossover Member

Maybe another trade scenario parallel to that started in this topic would be the Rockets dealing to Toronto. With Bosh and Villa at the same spot and reports that they're not happy with rafer's production, I think a trade sending Wesley or James for Villa may help both teams.

18. buckaroo

buckaroo Member

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_468_3890700,00.html

sounds allot like what the rockets were saying...