1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Memphis taking Warrick portend a deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drexlerfan22, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

There's all this talk of whether Warrick is a skilled 4 or a big, relatively unskilled 3. I think he's a 4. Which means Memphis is left with Gasol, Swift, Wright, and Warrick up front.

The fact that Memphis did not get a point and is also looking to deal Williams tells me they may be on the market for a point, much as they like Earl Watson.

So I'm wondering: does Memphis taking Warrick make them more willing to part with Swift (FA) or Wright (demanded a trade) in exchange for, say, Mike James and an expiring contract? Say we traded James and Wesley for Wright. Then we pick up (please please please) Antonio Daniels with our MLE. That leaves us with:

PG: AD, Head
    SG: Sura, Head
    SF: Mcgrady, Barry
    PF: Wright, Howard
    C: Yao, Mutombo

Not too bad. Just a thought.

EDIT: Thought I should put this post at the top, for the people who are thinking Wright is staying:

If we traded for Swift under the deal I suggested, Swift would be getting a LOT more than the MLE.

The combined salaries of Mike James and David Wesley for next year is $8.36 million. Trades can be made when salaries are within 15%, so that means Swift could have a starting salary of up to $9.614 million, with 10% increases every year.

Now think about this: how many teams can offer Swift more than a $10 million dollar starting salary in free agency? How many teams have that kind of cap room? Plus we all know this would be the perfect situation for him.

#1 Drexlerfan22, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  2. Willis25

Willis25 Member

I think they know the Swift is a goner so they want another athlete

3. aries323

aries323 Member

Agreed, replace Wright with Swift then we got ourselves a deal

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Like I said, either Swift or Wright. Obviously they can just let Swift go (why take on an expiring contract when you can have the space now?), but if I was GM I'd rather have Mike James to show for Swift than nothing.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I'm sure you would...but how would that help Swift out? Why in the world would he sign for that when he can get more just at an MLE.

Memphis is losing Swift, one way or another.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

If we traded for Swift under the deal I suggested, Swift would be getting a LOT more than the MLE.

The combined salaries of Mike James and David Wesley for next year is $8.36 million. Trades can be made when salaries are within 15%, so that means Swift could have a starting salary of up to $9.614 million, with 10% increases every year.

Now think about this: how many teams can offer Swift more than a $10 million dollar starting salary in free agency? How many teams have that kind of cap room? Plus we all know this would be the perfect situation for him.

7. Relativist

Relativist Member

Warrick is replacing Swift, who Memphis knows is likely gone. The problem with us getting Swift was never an issue of Memphis willing to part with him as much as us not having the money to sign Swift or the pieces to entice Memphis to S&T him to us.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Didn't realize you were proposing a trade of both.

Then the questions become: Should the Rockets trade 2 productive players for one, especially one who would be getting paid so much (I think active PF is probably the most important acquisition on our radar, so I would probably do it), and is Memphis looking for that type of salary in return? Don't they have cap problems as is?

9. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I wonder if Memphis would be interested in a...Sura/Wesley/Future 1st Round Pick for Swift?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets passing on Simien or another young PF really screwed them in terms of negotiating posturing with Swift.

He knows that we have no fallback plan now.. except for Malick.. who is not ready yet.

Hopefully we can clear up the log-jam we have with James, Norris, Ward, and Spanousilis (or whatever his name is) and now Head..

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I don't follow your logic. We're limited in what we can offer Swift, and probably will offer close to all of it- what posturing is there left to do?

If we had drafted Simien or another big man, Swift, or another PF, would have more competition for minutes.

12. ddly_tng

ddly_tng Member

I dunno I'm kinda hoping for a warrick/wright + jwill for exp contracts + future picks + head/sura

I'm probably just going crazy for thinking that memphis will do that.

13. xiki

xiki Member

Grizz will be dealing, but with whom for whom I have no clue. However, they will be looking for a 1, a rebounder, and to dump JWill and Bonzi. They may move JPo. Pau and Battier will remain, only sure things.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Not just probably. The Grizz get Sura and Head and lose 3/4 of their frontcourt (leaving only Gasol) as well as their starting PG. If that happens, I'll throw a C-note to the tip jar.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

:confused:

I said "or"...

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

Wright is garbage.

17. moonnumack

moonnumack Member

I would not be willing to pay Swift ~10mil/year. That's nearly max dollars for a guy who has yet to really show that he can step up his game. Our desperation to upgrade te 4 spot should not make us repeat mistakes in giving mediocre players big bucks (Remember MoT & Cato).

18. harumph

harumph Member

I'd rather see us signing him at the bottom end of the 15% than the top end.
    sign him for a contract starting at 7.3 mil (8.25 - 15%). I just dont think he's worth ~10mil a year.

I have no idea how trade exemptions/exceptions work, but we could either send it to the griz (if it works that way) or use it to lower the actual amount taken on as capable salary (if it works the other way ;)).

BTW the new CBA has reduced the annual raise from 10% to (i think) 7.5 - 8% for FAs/S&Ts. It's dropped to 10% for players staying with the same team.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Oh yeah, I definitely see what you and harumph are saying... I probably wouldn't want him at that salary either... that first "would" probably should've been a "could." I was just pointing out that he could get all the money he wants under this arrangement since JayZ750 was saying otherwise.

20. kingxdingaling

This would be way too much for Swith. Sura/Wesley, I'm all for it but no more Future 1st Round Picks! You guys want to get younger each year but each and every year you guys want to trade away our 1st rounder???? Doesnt make sense.