1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Joey Harrington drop to the second round?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Is this even possible? I doubt it, but he's not going to attend the draft, due to the uncertainty of where he will be picked.

Since the Texans are planning on going for the best available athlete, would they pick him with their 1st second round pick, if he falls there? Does Dallas believe in Carter so much that they would let Harrington pass? So many questions. So much uncertainty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1370047

Harrington decides not to attend draft

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than share the uncertainty of his draft status with a national television audience Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington, who could be a top 10 pick but might also tumble into the second round, has decided not to attend the proceedings.

Harrington was one of six first-round prospects selected to travel to New York for the draft and weeks ago accepted the invitation. But an NFL spokesman confirmed that the Oregon quarterback in recent days apprised league officials he will not attend.

That means five players -- Fresno State quarterback and top overall selection David Carr, defensive end Julius Peppers of North Carolina, Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer and offensive tackles Bryant McKinnie from Miami and Mike Williams of Texas -- will now be in attendance.

The change of heart by Harrington, universally viewed as the No. 2 quarterback prospect after Carr, is reflective of the uncertain nature of where he will be chosen. The NFL tends to be very sensitive to having players sitting backstage during the first round and perhaps embarrassed when they are not chosen among the top 10 picks.

There have been several instances in the NBA draft, for instance, when a prospect fell deep into the first round and television cameras captured the agony of the moment. In last year's NFL draft, former Florida offensive tackle Kenyatta Walker slipped all the way to the 14th overall choice, and acknowledged the uneasiness of having the cameras document his emotional ordeal as he waited for his name to be called.

Harrington is now expected to watch the draft with his family in Portland, Ore.

The questions about where Harrington will be selected have certainly formed one of the most compelling subplots revolving around the 2002 draft.

Despite published reports the Carolina Panthers are still considering him with the second overall choice, ESPN.com has learned that is not the case, and that the team will opt for Peppers unless it receives an attractive offer to trade out of the No. 2 spot. Detroit also is not expected to choose Harrington with the third pick in the first round and, if that is the case, he might not be a viable option until the No. 8 or No. 10 choices, held, respectively, by the Kansas City Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they've already said best available, excluding QBs, so no.

3. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Ther is NO way that Harrington falls to the 2nd round. It would be tight if the Texans could draft Carr and Harrington in the same draft, but it would be impossible. There are too many teams that have uncertainties at the qb position, and every other team in the league knows his value and would pick him just to have nice trade options. Here is a list of some of the teams in need of a potential pro bowl caliber qb:

Carolina, Lions, Bills, Dallas, KC, Jacksonville, Cinci, Washington, Seattle, Oakland, Baltimore, Chicago, etc...

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I have gathered living in Dallas, the Cowboys are still holding high hopes for Quincy Carter...even as far as not taking Harrington with their first round pick (if he is there at later rounds, they might take him). Chalk this one up to more Jerry Jones stupidity. But for us Dallas haters, it is music to our ears. :D

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If he drops to the second round, one of the crappy teams will be extremely happy.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Raiders are drafting Defense in the first round, The only Offensive Position they would even draft in the first round would be WR - maybe if Jabar Gaffney is there at 21 they might take him. I seriously doubt Al Davis will ever take a QB in the 1st round again. Rich Gannon, Jeff George and Jeff Hostetler have been the best Raiders QBs since Jim Plunkett left. I would be shocked if The Raiders took Harrington. I think If Bledsoe would have signed by now, There would be teams looking to draft Harrington, but I think he falls out of the top 10. The Raiders have learned that everything has to be done through free agency, Seriously, Tim Brown and Charles Woodson have been their only good picks in the last 15 years.

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

First off, I don't believe for a moment that Harrington will fall to the second round. But, you're saying that, if he did, they'd just skip right over him? When did they say, excluding quarterbacks?

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... because they don't want to do the Dan Pastorini-Lynn Dickey thing.

No way does Harrington fall into the second round. That would be a misjudgement about 70% of the proportion of Dan Marino dropping to the end of Round 1-- even bypassed by his hometown Steelers in dire need of a quarterback.

Although the Titans have other pressing needs, I wouldn't mind at all if they picked him up.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Texans would be stupid not to take Harrington in the 2nd round if available.

If this crazy scenario took place, Harrington would only be a Texan for a couple of hours max before they ship him for draft picks :D

No way Harrington comes into Texans camp to compete with Carr.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'll be surprised (pissed off) if Harrington drops past the Redskins.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Harrington vs Carr in camp would be interesting, but no chance at all of that happening.

I don't see what the big deal is. Joey should attend. He knows he would be a #1 pick.

12. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

DCKid. No WAY in Gods creation does Harrington slip past the 18th pick Washington owns. Steve Spurrier would NOT let Harrington get past him. Heck there are reports that the Skins are trying to move up just so they can assuredly pick Harrington.

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

I seriously doubt Dallas takes Harington at #6. Dallas is said to be eyeing Roy Williams. Personally I think Harrington is being overrated. He won't last past #10 but is not worthy of a top 5. I think Washington will trade up to #9 and grab Harrington. It may cost Washington quite a bit though considering that they don't have a 3rd rounder this year.