1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Could it be the coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scrappy07, Jul 5, 2012.

1. scrappy07

scrappy07 New Member

I've never posted a thread, but I can't not ask this question....could it be Mchale?

We've been able to sign, trade and keep players in the past. We've been competitive in the market when we've had other coaches. Now we have Mchale and NO ONE wants to play here. Our current players don't like him and now we are losing good players we had to other teams (maybe the money but i think not)....no free agents and could be why Dwight wants nothing to do with Houston (or because he's a little Bia)

What do you guys think?

2. smr6

smr6 Member

Interesting take I don't think anyone has pointed this out before.....

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think it's the GM. Players are tried of looking over their shoulder thinking they will be traded every single season. Players want to feel like they are part of something, part of a team, part of an organization, family, not just assets.

4. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

It's Morey and my belief he's killing the Rockets reputation amongst players

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Why would you want to sign here? If they can offer more money that's one thing...but all things being equal, what have the Rockets done to indicate to anyone they're actually interested in building a team? Look at the roster right now. Does that look like a team to you? 8 PF's. The hope that the Bulls don't match Asik is the asterisk next to the C on your entire roster. Moves made over and over again so that you can HOPEFULLY make another move later.

Why would anyone want that? If you're not going to offer top dollar, you're never going to get who you want with that kind of model.

1 person likes this.
  6. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i think thats overrated. they are professionals. robert horry was traded and brought back the year the rockets won their first championship. he sucked it up and did his job and the results speak for themselves.

point being, if you don't like hearing your name in trade rumors, don't become a professional basketball player. almost nobody is immune, and certainly nobody on our roster is so entrenched in the community and/or team to deserve to pout about it.

i dislike mchale as a coach, and while i think he's not the entire problem, i don't think he helps things.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess Rick Carlisle must be a problem as well since no one wants to play in Dallas. Nash didn't want to go there. Odom didn't want to play there. Jason Terry may be moving to Boston. Dwight Howard doesn't want to play there. Deron Williams doesn't want to play there.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Players Dragic, Gordon, Asik, and Lin all went out of their way to come to the table with Houston to negotiate. If they simply did not like the coach then they wouldn't have gone out of their way to get an offer from Houston in the first place.

At the end of the day its about Me, Myself, and I. Meaning, how much money am I going to make, and what's my role going to be with the team, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this. We all do this with our jobs daily.

For Asik, its a great deal. The starting job is his to lose, and the $ is great. For Gordon, the job is there, but there were some complications financially unless they could work out a sign and trade deal. For Dragic, and Lin its all about starting which is something Morey could not guarantee with Lowry still on the roster.

I dont see anything here that points towards the coach as being a deciding factor either way.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would Dragic hate the coach who made him a starter and whose system gave him the opportunity to put up plenty of stats?

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Feigen said the Rockets passed on Dragic because they wouldn't give him a player option on the 4th year.

Marc Berman of the NY Post is reporting the Rockets have now made a second offer to Lin increasing their offer to $31 mil over 4 years with a player option in the 4th year.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Exactly. While it seems the general idea might apply to certain players, there is no way it can be true of Dragic. If anything, he should be showering McHale with thanks (if not a few steak dinners).

12. conquistador#11

I, for once, agree with Sactown. It is true that everyone is an asset, even hof'ers get traded. But there is a way to do it and that's behind closed doors, the week the trade rumors pops up. It's like DMX says, you run your mouth , you gonna get slaughtered.
    I love maury as a gm but he really needs to deactivate twitter and hire some intern to do his radio rounds.

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Yeah how come there are so reports of multiple players being unhappy with McHale? His personality was supposed to be his biggest strength. His biggest strength FAILED. What else does he have left?

I think players would be pissed off at Morey too. There is no security or loyalty here. You're just a trading chip. Players want to stay somewhere for 4-5 years, settle down a bit. No one wants to worry about being traded every year.

14. raboof2

raboof2 Member

I think it plays a significant part. I don't believe you can forget the impact of the 'you're-just-an-asset-and-can-be-traded' philosophy of Morey and the management/personnel side of the organization. Still, players can forget that when they don't see it every day at practice or games.

I started to seriously wonder about McHale after the press conference where we he made the comments about 'I control when Lowery's plays or not'. A coach who is interested in the player, one that wants to mend fences, one that doesn't put their own ego first, would answer the media questions with something like 'it's a part of the game', 'we will work it out', or some other deflection technique. The coach wouldn't put himself first and challenge the player in public -- especially when dealing with a highly competitive player like Lowery.

So yeah, I am starting to wonder if we have a 'superstar ego' coach. And this may also be part of the problem attracting FA's.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So why the love for Phoenix? Just for the fourth year of the contract? Was it the gauntlet of thunder sticks that overcame him with emotion?

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

That and he's loved there, will be the undisputed starter now that Nash is gone and Scottsdale is a pretty cool city to live in. No moneyball crap, no humidity, no mosquitos, close to LA and Vegas. It's just a better situation all around. Put yourself in Dragic's shoes. Where would you go? And with the state taxes, the deal works out to be about the same as Houston offered, nobody is talking about that.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe Gogi wanted to be closer to Steve Nash's kids.

18. ILoveTheRockets

And this my friends, is why sports have player unions.

Just imagine what the chaos would be like if no player union was around lol... kind of like the current business climate in America, just chaos.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe its just because he's a guaranteed starter there. Seems simple enough to me. Not sure why its so complicated to understand on here.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He decided to start Parsons. Didn't develop Morris the pissed everyone else off by trying to be this hard a$$ when he is super unproven as a coach.