1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could it be a chance!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thegame_2234, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think you are mistaking those illegal streams for the norm. Not sure what this guy is ding, but with internet and wifi connections getting even faster streaming is the future. Twitch already making a killing streaming live gaming tournaments. Stream quality is already HD quality.

Sports are already given to us at a delay by the way.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

again, all local broadcasts are in direct competition with NBALP. Actually, it is the other way around. NBALP is in direct competition with local broadcasts. Hence the blackout. People with an IP address within the Houston broadcast area are blacked out of watching Rockets games.

It's pretty simple what Ballmer is doing. He feels he can make more money than $60m/yr by setting up a streaming system for local broadcasts that other NBA owners would buy within the blackout rules.

3. cmellon

cmellon Member

Microsoft degressed under Ballmer. So, who knows if Ballstreamer will be a good idea.

4. heypartner

Can you just imagine if I knew Daryl Morey, personally. ;)

5. Handles

Handles Member

This is great news for cord cutters like me. You go Ballmer, please make the service awesome/reliable so that it takes off for all teams.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When (legal) live streaming of sports events becomes commonplace, the cable oligopoly will crumble. This will be good for consumers.

The NBA would be just a beginning. The final straw is ESPN. It may take a while but that's where things are headed eventually.

Video quality won't be an issue.

7. heypartner

No, ESPN and TNT are only available on Cable. This has nothing to do with HD. ABC, NBC and CBS are all required by law to deliver HD over the air, vs cable. If you have an HD antennae, you can get HD for all games except ESPN and TNT.

The only reason people don't cut their lines has nothing to do with HD or quality.

NBALP Broadband is excellent quality. I guess you've never watched it. And NBALP Broadband is often ahead of "live cable." You got that in reverse.

Do you even realize the internet is on cable lines, just like "Cable"? My computer and TV are on the same line, dude. Ballmer is just talking about who sends you the signal....his network TV or Comcast (who refused to broadcast any Rockets games for over a year), how was that for "quality HD" when no signal was even available..

I don't think you understand the technology at all,,,,like...say...someone like Ballmer does.

#27 heypartner, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. heypartner

"Digressed?" I don't think that's the right term. He was asked to step down for being stagnant on new tech revolutions. And it's not like MS has made great strides, since, in that arena, right? He was conservative and profitable. But not enough. But that was also Bill Gates' problem too from Windows 3 on..

but anyhoot, he was an employee pretty much from the very beginning -- 1980, right? So he wasn't any singular cause. It was the culture of MS, not him in general.

#28 heypartner, Aug 30, 2015
  9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ballstreams has made me a believer.

Streaming isn't the future, it's the here and now

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I'm going with this season.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Glad to hear this

I don't bother with a cable service. I just stream with Apple Tv and I have an antenna just for national sporting events. The more things transitioning to streaming the better.

Very smart idea from Ballmer

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Just popped in to say that the OP needs to properly title your threads with the topic being discussed (or else nobody knows what they are clicking on). Not gonna read your post for the reason previously stated

13. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Have you not watched Netflix or HBO GO and it buffer out or it downgrade to a lower quality version if the internet speed is slow? I am paying for 100 mbps with Comcast and it still buffers out sometimes. Last thing I want is my Rockets being in the playoffs in the 4th quarter and the quality to downgrade or buffer and have my friends or social feed tell me the end of a game. For the poor college students who watch from their dorms this will be great but for working Houstonians I would still prefer to pay extra for cable.

#33 Butterfingers, Aug 30, 2015
  14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I can't actually, no.

15. Naismith

Naismith Member

I would only if they had choice of announcers,which Ballstreams donot.

16. rockets13champs

Cluchfans. The streaming place for ur rockets. This website would be like 5.99 a year to watch all games

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

If he runs the clipper the same way he did with Microsoft

then the result is blue death screen

18. heypartner

Have you ever had a satellite dish and a thunderstorm knock out your signal during a game?

And what about a runaway celebrity football player/murder suspect causing major outage of Game 6 of the NBA Finals, because the networks wanted to interrupt your live feed. :mad:

19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The only reason I add cable every season is to watch the rockets... This would be huge if I could only pay to stream the Rox instead of an unnecessary $100 bill from att...

All for it

20. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Yeah but a very very severe rain storm is very rare. Plus I don't have a satellite. Slow internet is much more common.