1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Houston Support an NHL Team ?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMania1991, Nov 22, 2009.

?

Could the City of Houston Support an NHL Franchise ?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. No

74 vote(s)
    62.2%
  1. RocketMania1991

Houston is the 4th largest city in America, and has a professional sports team in almost every category except the NHL. I propose the question of why has this city yet to successfully get an NHL franchise.

If you want to say we don't have the population to support the team I'd be baffled of how someone could argue that. If the 3 major cities above us in population can each support teams, as well as the cities well below us. Then why couldn't we easily maintain a team as well.

It's often brought up that we live in the South where football reigns, and hockey would never be a popular sport. But if anyone's ever been to an Aeroes game these assumptions can't be more than wrong. Avid fans show up to watch the Aeroes play every night, even though they are considered a minor league team to the Minnesota Wild, and carry less talented players.

It was rumored back in 2006 that we could possibly land the Penguins, Les himself tried to bring a team back in 1998. And now we are seeing other NHL teams flounder in their respective markets. Prime example being the Phoenix Coyotes.

So how could a city population of 3 million plus not support an NHL team. Especially since the Dallas Stars have been able to have great success in a city that is dominated by football, and even a smaller population base.

So a simple yes or no is suffice.

Could this city support an NHL team ?

2. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Member

Only when they're winning.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think with a downtown arena and all the nearby residential contstruction over the last decade, it's completely doable. May be just enough male yuppies and transplants who might not necessarily be huge basketball fans.

If Houston was actually the fourth largest metropolitan region, and they didn't need ten counties to do the math, it'd make a little bit more sense in a warm weather city with three established sports franchises.

4. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

I wouldn't want another team sharing the court with the Rockets :)

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Aeros

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

See what I mean..

Fans in Houston wont support NHL or IHL whatever the aeros are in..

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

You mention that Phoenix is floundering... yet they're the 5th largest city in America. I see the same thing happening to us if we get a team.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the NHL will allow another team to move to a non-traditional market. Sure, Bettman will defend his "Sunbelt Strategy," but it's been a failure, by and large. Moving teams from tradition hockey markets like Hartford, Quebec, and Winnipeg to cities like Phoenix and Raleigh has not worked. That's why there was so much uproar when the businessman from Hamilton let it be known that's where he would move the Phoenix Coyotes if he bought the team. If the NHL had let that happen, it would be an admission of failure from Bettman.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

America is one of the largest countries in the world. But doesnt support soccer too well. Yes it conceivable COULD as well as any other country out there. But if the interest base isnt there, it means trying to convert people over to support the product. NOT an easy task.

It doesnt matter to me one way or another. As long as it doesnt affect the sports I do like.

Size of city and resources within a city doesnt always equal support. I know franchises think in terms of size of media market, not always fan base support. As in, lets put a team in a region where there are a lot of big corporate sponsors, where TV and ad revenue can have a good payoff. If out of 5 million people only 5 thousand REALLY care, it involves a lot of risk putting a team in that market.

It really comes down to that - is there a large enough hockey fan entity on its own to support a team? If its there, I want hockey fans to have a team. As it looks now in Houston, its wanting the general sports fan who's already stretched out on their current teams to give hockey a chance too. Single-payer sports fan buying into any sport in the city. Not going to work.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

ding ding ding.

Also, don't cite the Areos has a good example of fandom. They average 5,387 fans a game.

11. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

What the heck is NHL?

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

What the heck is soccer?

13. MadMax

MadMax Member

it's a corporate game...we're a huge corporate city. yes, houston could support a team. there are teams in nashville, phoenix, miami, san jose, dallas, columbus, tampa. i have a difficult time believing houston's support couldn't equal or exceed any one of those.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

all depends on arena deal. with the right arena deal, it works.

remember, the edmonton freaking oilers were floundering at one point. no one would question edmonton's love of the oilers. the health of a franchise is usually more than just, "are we well supported."

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

nope. Transplants should just enjoy the Aeros.

16. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think we could until I saw how Dallas supports the Stars. If Houston could ever get a team (non-expansion) that was able to do what the Stars did in Dallas (i.e. win early on), I think a fan base could be cultivated.

I'm not a hockey fan by any means, but I'll even watch the Stars in the NHL playoffs. I NEED a team in Houston so I can stop rooting for a Dallas team :grin:

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

It's been in freaking Miami for years now. In Dallas.

It is perhaps THE MOST corporate game of all. Highest ticket prices. Arena sport bent on selling suites. You can do that in Houston...at least as well as it's being done elsewhere.

18. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Member

The only reason I don't watch the NHL is because we don't have a team, but I would watch if we did. I'm sure there are more people out there who feel the same way. I've been to one Aeros game in my life...and I loved it. Live hockey is pretty exciting, but it's hard to support a minor league team...bring an NHL team to Houston...add me as a fan. +1

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Houston population wise could but I hope they wouldn't. I love Houston but its an abomination to watch the Stanley Cup hoisted in a city where ice bodies of water don't naturally freeze outside in the winter.

In my opinion no city should have an NHL team unless they can hold one home game a year outside.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I would hope so...you have f'n nashville and tampa bay with teams...With Dallas having a team, bring in a Houston team and instant rivalry...I would love to see it happen...