1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Greg Smith start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hardlin parsard, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Hardlin parsard

.620 Field goal percentage and 13.7 points per 36 minutes. This in only about 9 field goal attempts per 36.

All the talk of motiejunas or terrence jones what about this guy? seems mostly forgot about surely he has value on this team, no?

2. jackycool

jackycool Member

He's better as a center. He plays close to the rim and can finish well but the same problem arises just like Howard and Asik. It isn't out of the question for him to play together with Howard but he isn't the answer at power forward.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Greg Smith's FG% - 62

Greg Smith opponent's FG% - 98

Greg Smith Rebound - 3 per game

Greg Smith opponent's Rebound - ~9 per game

Greg Smith's defen....... LOL

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We haven't seen him play much this preseason. I am dying to see If he has made any progress.

With the right work ethic, he could be huge for us. He could allow us to cut Camby and even consider dealing Asik If he could prove to be a solid backup 5. It all starts on the defensive end. He can rebound and finish and even block shots. He has GOT to get his defensive rotations down, ala Chuck Hayes.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

There's not talk of starting Greg Smith because if you can start Greg Smith, then you can start Asik.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Yes. In my book, he is ahead of Jones and still slightly ahead of a fast-improving DMo, but I would rather start Asik and Howard together.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

What was Greg Smith's +- average in last year's playoffs against the Thunder? Something like a minus 25 (just guessing here)?

He was horrible in that series and I do not expect him to be much better this year.

Smith is a likeable guy, but he is not the answer at the 4.

9. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Not gonna happen. Asik is Smith times 5 (excuse me, 10).

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

He could if McAwesome really wants... but I doubt our success rate if he does.

11. hahachui

hahachui Member

If greg smith can start, please fire mchale.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I would think the time will be split between DMo, Asik, and Casspi.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

In before the "The Market for Greg Smith"....

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Smith is getting traded or riding the bench.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your post must be schtick because it is certainly not based in fact.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He could but he would clog the lane for Dwight, same as Omer, they just don't fit together, you need someone that moves off the ball, can pass and hit at least a midrange shot.

DD

17. Yellow

Yellow Member

Is this serious? Reality check: Greg Smith, as much as I wanted him to succeed, is just not a good player. Sure he can catch a ball with those claws but he cannot shoot a decent midrange shot, is not strong on rebounds, cannot defend without fouling and is probably on his way out. I hope another team gives him a shot but no way he's better than TJ, D-Mo, Casspi, Camby or any other F/C.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Greg Smith could absolutely start, if Howard and Asik die in a car wreck and Camby is hurt (likely) then he could start at center so long as he beat out DMo for the job. There is no other scenario where he'd be good enough to start and even then, he'd probably only play 6-10 minutes before he fouled out.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I like Greg Smith, but everytime he gets the ball in the post something bad happens. I don't even understand how or why he even gets the ball in the post. It some how though would manage to happen last season, and it drove me crazy.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, with all due respect, don't post crap like that in the GARM. Hypotheticals centered around the "i" word and worse, which is what you've done, are considered bad juju. That means very bad luck, if you're from Pasadena and need it explained.