1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Duncan be just as good or better than the dream

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nateb40, May 16, 2003.

1. Go_Spurs_Gooooo

Malone usually guarded David. That's a bit tougher defensive cover than what Hakeem faced in Osterfag.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The more you post, the deeper the hole you dig. 6-5 inch Malone's ground bound reach-in defense vs. David Robinson? Oooooohhh scary.

Why are you basing your entire argument over one game in 1998 when Hakeem had reached the downside of his career? Of the many dumb things you have done in this thread, this may be the dumbest.

3. Fatty FatBastard

No Spurs, it means you're an idiot.

Learn how to spell and/or type. taht? stupid.

You've officially made me root for the Mav's now. Bad karma is never a good thing.

Now go jump into your river.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

lol this is a hilarious thread. Robinson is no where near Dream. Dont get me wrong David was a great player but as good as dream? Dream is the last player to win a chamionship w/o the benefit of having another star. Than the Rockets accuire Clyde and dream embarasses David in the Conference finals and they roll right through Shaqs Orlando Magic. For another ring.

Comparing Davids ring possibly two to dreams is like comparing Rob Horrys to Michael Jordans. David is a great guy, he is truly a class act and I would be satisfied if Yao becomes the player that he once was but David is no dream Im sure even he would admit it.

This is like comparing Clyde Drexler to Michael Jordan..Both great players but everybody and their momma knows who was better. Just watch the 95 conference finals that was Dream in his prime and David in his prime. And it was never a contest

Timmy D is not as good as dream right now. He lacks a killer instict. He maybe in the future but I doubt it.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Hakeem during the run was just unstoppable. Didn't he even hit a three towards the end of one of those closeout playoff games?

Ah the memories.

6. CrazyJoeDavola

No, it is so because the FACTS say so. It is so because the STATS say so. It is so because the head to head matchups say so.

The only arguements you have thus far presented are highly subjective and meaningless (i.e. Ostertag played Hakeem to a standstill in 1 whole playoff game) and the Spurs had less overall talent than the Rockets.

I think you are related to Spiral in some way. Your whole arguement is based on discrediting Hakeem for what he DID DO while rewarding Robinson for what he DIDN'T DO.

You are bass ackwards friend. :)

7. CrazyJoeDavola

So David being defended by a player that is 4-5 inches shorter than he is, is tougher than Hakeem being guarded by a player that is 3-4 inches taller than he is and outweighs him by 30 lbs?
    lmao

You are a real Mensa Member.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Damn, I love it when Clutch posts...There isn't a more convincing poster anywhere.

9. SLA

SLA Member

Duncan needs to improve his free throw shooting.

10. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

When it comes to the clutch moments, it's not even close.

Duncan's about as clutch as Cris Webber. The next clutch FT he hits will be his first ever. Hakeem was pure money in the clutch his whole career.

Hakeem vs. Shaq is a debatable and interesting topic, not Hakeem vs. Duncan and Hakeem vs. Robinson is a flat out joke.

Compare Robinson to Ewing Spursfan. 2 guys who were good, but not great.

No team w/ David Robinson as its best player ever got anywhere. Spare the talent BS. Rodman won 5 titles in his career and Elliott was an all-star caliber player and Robinson played w/ both of them. Hakeem got to 3 nba finals and won 2 of them. Yeah, Hakeem really had great talent in 94, eh? K. Smith and Maxwell.

The reason the Jazz put Malone on D-Rob is that everyone knows D-Rob was soft and would fold when you played him tough. Malone ain't going to the HOF for his defense. D-Rob never was a guy who stepped up in the playoffs at all. No post game whatsoever.

11. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I agree. Duncan is a more intelligent player than Hakeem was. Dream really made some bonehead plays at times. As far as skill goes, Duncan is more fundamental, but Dream was a flat out freak when it came to athleticism and creativity. Dream was a better defender thatn Duncan for the simple fact that he was the quickest jumper ive ever seen in the league. He never bought any pump fakes when he blocked shots. He would go up and get it only after they released teh ball with lightning quick reflexes. SOme of teh moves Dream put on opposing centers were just sick. He sometime threw 4 or 5 fakes to fool teh defender, just making them look silly.

If i had to take Duncan in his prime of Hakeem in his prime, i'd take Dream... and not just cuz I'm a Rockets fan.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A lot of people write Ducan was better skill wise than Dream at age 26 as if Dream was just some raw force. Remember, Dream was an accomplished soccer player so he had athletic skills and his assist average was close to Duncan's as well.

I just finished watching Navy play Kentucky in basketaball in 1987 on ESPN Classic. I guess they were showing it because this is The Little Mermaid's last go round. His numebers that game, 45 pts, 11 blocks, 10 boards, that's against quality competition when kids stayed in college. But I also noticed another thing that I noticed about Robinson his whole NBA career. His game has not changed from the game he played 16 years ago, it was like watching a younger version of the same player today, absolutely no change, down to that awkard looking shot.

13. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

how can duncan be 26? He must be 28. He stayed 4 years in college and came out in 97, right?

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was born April 25th, 1976...I guess he just started college early.

15. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Skillwise, I am not sure who is better.

Academically, Duncan could be better. Duncan's GPA in college was perfect. It's reported that he ranked among top five or three in every course he took.

Could anybody tell me Duncan's race? Is he black, hispanic or white? I am just curious because the other day in a sports bar, two guys aurgued about this.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who the hell cares if Duncan is better "academically"? I could care less if Hakeem's GPA was in the negatives.

I'm pretty sure Duncan is black. He might have some Caucasian in him somewhere though. I know he's from the Virgin Islands, but of course that can't be used to determine his race.

17. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Anybody see the Hakeem the Dream video?

In it, a sports writer was quoted as saying that Hakeem's game was such that he had a better chance of scoring despite the double or triple team than passing to a teammate. Duncan I don't think so.

18. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

We are having an arguement over who is better? Hakeem Or David?

Only a Spurs fan, and a deluded one at that, would even see an arguement.

You argue about 97.

That would be last year David Robinson in the numer of years they had played. And he can't even be called the best center on his own team at that point.

Compare Apples to Apples.
    Hakeem Top 5-6 centers of all time
    David Robinson Second best Center in the midwest Division.
    Hakeem the inventer of the Dream Shake
    David Robinson a good jumper shooter
    Hakeem the first player to 2000 blocks and 2000 steals
    David Robinson would need 6 years in his prime to try to get here.
    Hakeem the thrid Quadruple double ever
    David Robinson scored 71 points.
    David won the MVP 1995
    Hakeem 2 finals MVP'S
    Hakeem also had a more productive career for the same time period
    Hakeem Played 4 more seasons then Robinson.

However, David Robinson is also one of, if the, classiest guy in the NBA and I would not say the same about Hakeem

They are both great but if you had to pick one..... it is not David... just keep DREAMing.

Founder of MARH

Members Againist Rocket Hating.

19. Wale

Wale Member

He's Black. But being from the Virgin Islands I can see how one can argue the fact that he might have other blood in him.

Not sure what academics has to do with this arguement, but if I'm not mistaken , Hakeem was majoring in Business and was doing pretty well when he left in his third year, He eventually got his degree i believe (People forget that he is a very succesful business man with a Global Multi-Million dollar holdings company called Barakat Holdings with head-quarters in Houston.

He has 4 siblings, 3 older and one younger, The First born Tunji is a Lawyer, the secong is a medical doctor, then therse a girl, not sure what she does.........then theres his younger brother Taju who also played ball in Houston (not sure what level, but he went to School in Houston) but was not much of a player.

You should never try to make that judgment about who is academically superior

20. EMANUEL34

EMANUEL34 Member

I THINK HAKEEM IS BETTER , DUNCAN REMINDS ME OF HIM ON OFFENSE ,BUT BEN WALLACE REMINDS ME OF HIM ON DEFENSE ALL OVER THE PLACE BLOCKING SHOTS INSIDE AS WELL AS ON THE 3 POINT LINE . HAKEEM WAS ONE OF A KIND SECOND TO ONLY MICHEAL JORDAN