1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Duncan be just as good or better than the dream

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nateb40, May 16, 2003.

1. nateb40

nateb40 Member

Just to start off i am a SPURS fan and i am from San Antonio but i have moved to houston almost two years ago. So i wasent here for the Dreams career. One of my friends from work is a rocket die hard said there is now way you could compare duncan and the dream. But of coarse he is a little biased and i could be too. I guess since they cant go head to head in their primes you in no way to get a justifed answer.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

My answer is no. Duncan is a stud, but what set Dream apart was his defense.

3. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Duncan's performance last night was '95 dream-esque (I have night-mares of the shake and the baseline fade - which Duncan did I nice imatation of last night). But Hakeem did it for the entire series against the Sprus in '95 - Duncan did it for 1 game - but he did show he had "it". If he does it more times (and since he's only 26 right now, odds say he will), his stature will continue to grow. Right now, however, the answer has to be "no".

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What sets them apart is athletic ability on both ends of the floor. Duncan is no where close to Dream's creativity on offense and shot-blocking and stealing abilities on defense. Duncan is very good on fundamentals and a better passer than Dream. I think Duncan won't ever be as spectacular as Dream, but will probably have a longer productive career.

And because he has more talents surrounding him, Duncan will probably win more rings than Dream.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Duncan at 26 is better than Hakeem at 26, mainly because his court vision is far superior. You never see Duncan try to plow through five guys the way a young Hakeem often did.

6. nateb40

nateb40 Member

by looking at career stats they are very close. Different teams will also give you different stats. How do you judge a player by stats , W/L or rings. I do belive it is a hard decision to make. Like i told my friend asking this question i asking a muslim who is better mohommed or jesus.

7. super_mario

super_mario Member

Let's consider the 94 championsip team versus this year's Spurs.

Thorpe vs. Robinson

Horry vs. Bowen

Maxwell vs. Jackson

Smith/Cassel vs. Parker

I don't think Duncan had more talent this year. Maybe after this off-season he will.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You have to remember Dream destroyed like a 26 year old 28PPG 10RPG 3 BPG center who was considered one of the 3 or so best players in the league. He also tore apart the other best centers of the time in Shaq and Ewing.

That is like TD going out and abusing KG like a rag doll on both ends of tghe court, than doing the same versus CWebb, followed by a young Karl Malone. Once TD does this I'll reconsider.

TD is the best overall player right now, but it probably would be ugly if he and a Dream in his prime were left to match-up. I mean the Spurs don't even let him play a declining Shaq much--unthinkable to not play Dream on a DR, Shaq or Ewing.

9. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

in one word: NO

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Duncan did the one thing I have always been critical of him for, he took and made 2 or 3 baseline jumpers. By adding that to his game, he always keeps his defenders guessing.

Hakeem could go to the middle or turn baseline, where as Duncan always went to the middle, and the Laker defenders were ready for that.

Duncan needs to continue to work on that baseline shot and make it a serious reliable weapon. If he makes that shot consistenly like Dream did, he will have multiple rings.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dream was one of the best playoff performers ever. discounting his last playoff with Toronto, Hakeem averaged about 26.5ppg on 53%. His playoff stats are significantly better than his season stats...by close to 6points (discounting the last season).

For players with more than 60 games, there are only 5 guys with a higher ppg. He FG% was equal to Jabbar and higher than Wilt's.

He averaged 3.3 bpg in the playoffs
    He holds the record for scoring in a 4 game series
    He destroyed the Magic/Jabbar/Worthy/Scott/Cooper 1986 Lakers ... destroyed them. Duncan has never had a dominating series against a defending champ like that.

Duncan is not done, for sure. But, Duncan really has little in terms of complete series to what Dream did in every series in 1986, 1993, 1994 and 1995.

12. nateb40

nateb40 Member

what information do you use to consider if a player is better?

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I don't think so because Dream was, IMO, the best defensive player ever. He blocked shots better than anyone, but let's not forget that Hakeem's also number six in the all-time steals list. His offense was more creative than Duncan's as well. To be fair, I think Duncan will end up as the greatest PF ever, but if I had to pick one of the two, I'd pick Dream. Duncan's a good defender, but he's no Hakeem Olajuwon defensively. Offensively, I'd take Hakeem over Tim, but it wouldn't be a landslide victory by any means.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nope!!!!! Not now, not ever. He should grow some nads and play center for a change too. I guess it's not his fault, Popovich is the chickensh-t.

15. heypartner

my own eyes

16. striker

striker Member

Just curious about growing nads. Apart from Shaq, who he did spend some time playing D on, which centers in the NBA require a lot of nads to play against. Yao? Vlade? Kandi? Miller? Zakalidas? Bradley or LaFrentz? Seems like right now more nads are required to play PFs.

17. heypartner

btw: aside from Duncan being a better passer, I don't think Duncan's pure scoring and defense is better than Kevin McHale, yet. Overall, Duncan is better than McHale, but as a scorer, no...and as a defender they are about even. McHale was a 1st Team defender 3 yrs in a row, and 2nd Team 3 other times. imo, he was a better blocker than Duncan.

here's what Hubie Brown said about McHale:

<blockquote><hr>"He became the most difficult low-post player to defend -- once he made the catch --<b> in the history of the league</b>," contended former NBA coach Hubie Brown in the Boston Globe. "He was totally unstoppable because of his quickness, diversification of moves, and the long arms that gave him an angle to release the ball over a taller man or more explosive jumper."<hr></blockquote>

When you say it like that, you can see that you really cannot be comparing Duncan to Hakeem. You have to compare Duncan to McHale first.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think when everything is said and done, Duncan will have been the better player, career-wise. But unless Duncan gets much much better on defense over time, Dream in his prime will be significantly better than Duncan in his prime. However, because of Duncan's court vision and passing ability early in his career, I can definitely see him winning more championships.

19. heypartner

Raven,

exactly how many prime years are you saying Dream had?

Dream was in his prime from 1986 to 1997. Tell me why I can't say that Raven. Look at his stats, and look at how he crushed *everyone* in the playoffs every year. He never had a bad playoff series until 1999, unlike Duncan who has had several where he was kept in check.

Saying Dream didn't have too many prime years is unfair. It's just that Dream went to a legendary, stratosphere plain in 93-95. you cannot dismiss Dream's other prime years just because he went to another level that no center will ever match again.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Duncan has a ways to go to be where Hakeem was at his prime. I agree that Timmy D will probably have a better overall career in terms of winning rings, but I can't see Tim getting much better as a basketball player (his teams could be nasty if they get a Kidd or O'Neal). Hakeem from '92-'96 was the best center EVER (as in no center ever played at such a level consistantly), and I really don't think that I'm being a homer about this.