1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Bruce Lee win it all in today's MMA?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Xerobull, Sep 19, 2011.

?

Could Bruce Lee win it all in today's MMA?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    28.5%
  3. Who's Bruce Lee?

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. El Manshun

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

In the nicest way possible....you have no clue what you are talking about.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sakuraba did alright also.

3. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I am sure they are bigger than your father's penis though. That's what your mom told me last night.

1 person likes this.
  4. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

No, this troll who shamelessly calls himself "GlenRice" is just the son of a small penis mammal.

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Gene Lebell on the topic:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VwLC5gjYYXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bruce Lee talked about MMA 40 years ago:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n7MnNiVEhOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Wrong. Bruce Lee's master is Fok Yuen Gep. I remember Jet Li made a movie about this person few years ago.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sidx2jx9tm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why do Asian MMA guys struggle so much with takedown defense if they all learn such an elite method?

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Math?

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Could it be possible the rules are restricting the Asian styles? How about fight with no rules other than you win? Do they have those?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The question is about today's MMA, not about "hypothetical fights where rules are/aren't enforced to make Asian fighters look better."

In today's MMA, Asian fighters struggle when they take on American fighters.

Aoki embarrassed Japan and all of his fans (me among them) when he turned in an absolutely pathetic performance against Melendez in Strikeforce.

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

What are these mysterious rules that limit takedown defense?

13. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The idea that there is an "Asian style" that could dominate if it weren't for western rules is ludicrous and ignorant. There aren't critical one hit spots on the body, there isn't a secret foundation stance that makes you impossible to take down.

Lyoto Machida uses a wide karate stance (the traditional "Asian style" I guess, whatever that means) and he's very hard to take down, but it's mainly because he has an extensive background in sumo. Needless to say, there are no rules in MMA that hinder his ability to stop takedowns.

Almost all Japanese fighters do not train wrestling as much as Americans and many don't cut weight for their fights, which means they are usually smaller and weaker than the American fighters they fight. That is the reason they are mostly poor wrestlers.

Yushin Okami is a Japanese fighter that is big and cuts weight, trains wrestling extensively with amazing wrestlers like Chael Sonnen, and therefore kicks ass with wrestling. There is no secret eastern magic at work!

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bruce Lee would certainly do well in today's MMA especially if he had access to today's scientific based training techniques. As others have said Bruce Lee's no-style isn't what you see in the movies but essentially MMA. Also for those who say he never actually entered tournaments while that is true he certainly fought a lot.

Bruce Lee's physical abilities, dedication to training and willingness to absorb new techniques would make him a superb competitor in UFC, Pride and etc...

15. VanityHalfBlack

Joe Lewis was originally suppose to play the role in the movie, 'The Way Of The Dragon' before Chuck Norris was ever cast in it...

http://www.fightingmaster.com/legends/lewis/interview.htm

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'd want to see a tournament without rules and gloves, just the best fighters from all martial arts competing against each other. All the rules and gloves kill the original spirit and meaning of free fight.

17. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

So you'd want to see eye gouging, nut shots, throat strikes, etc.?

The gloves protect the fighter's hands and are very light, they are just there so guys don't break their hands every fight. I don't see how they restrict fighting.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Of course I wouldn't allow techniques that damage the health of the fighters, no eye poking, nut shots,...

Martial arts include complex techniques with your fingers for defense, trapping, grappling, attacking, distraction and to lower the effectiveness of your opponent. Just think the gloves take away the advantages of good martial arts fighters.
    I know it's really hard to realize what I'm wishing for and will never be done, but the current tournaments aren't made for true fighting and therefore don't show who'd really be the best in a street fight.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

1 person likes this.
  20. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I feel like people who say he can win are Asian biased. Would you be saying the same if he wan't Asian? Would you even know who he was if he wasn't Asian?