1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The rest of the conference will be pissed that House's matador defense won't be in the UH lineup this year. In my opinion House has been a huge disappointment for a player as highly rated as he was coming out of high school. Thomas better be working his ass off on his jumper this summer because in his three years at UH I have yet to see him make a shot outside of the paint and he wants to play the 3.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It is true... Not sure it matters, he isn't anything special.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

5. BleedRocketsRed

Also Graham got arrested for trying to eat mar1juana after being pulled over.

Find it funny he committed to us on 4/20 lol.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Sampson said at the press conference he wanted to play uptempo and get the ball across half court within 3 seconds and look to shoot within 10 seconds. UH lost what little depth they had in the backcourt and the only returning players who have played any minutes there are Rose and Stiggers so they needed bodies and they seem to have upgraded big time with these 2 signings.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think this whole episode just shows how much of a paper tiger and house of cards Dickey had built. Lots of talent, but he was letting the inmates run the asylum, and the result was not pretty. Add the Joe Young kerfuffle on top of it, and it's just painfully clear how much a total reboot the program needed. In Sampson we trust.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The program has had this problem for over 20 years. They want top tier talent to turn the program around, but the only kids that slip to them with elite physical talent are academically inferior, lazy, bought off or have free reign of the program. Sampson won't allow that.

9. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...l-house-houston-cougars-transfer-restrictions

lol oh man just get this over with, it's making UH look worse and worse

10. Nook

Nook Member

11. BleedRocketsRed

Yeah teams do put restrictions but every school in Texas is quite extreme.

It does make us look bad tbh.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think it's telling that their stories keep changing. Wasn't House saying he decided he was leaving before the season ended? Didn't they put in their transfers before Sampson?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Doesn't bother me. If it's a transfer of choice and not circumstance (for example, LJ Rose transferring from Baylor to Houston to be near a sick family member), then I think it's ok to put restrictions on it. Training a guy for 3-4 years and then having him bail to go play for a school you compete against, either directly or indirectly, would be quite the kick in the nards.

14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I kinda agree with you, but at the same time this isn't business though, they are student-athletes, sure we can talk about how "school" isn't really important to them at this point since they're looking at playing professionally, but i still feel that the restrictions UH put was a little too much. i'll be fine with the no schools in AAC or any teams on schedule, but i felt they shouldve let them go anywhere in texas

15. Progs

Progs Member

I read somewhere they were planning on going to SMU but really surprised they wouldn't want to play for a good coach like Sampson.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

NCAA athletics is very much a business, and a big one at that.

As for academics, we aren't restricting them from enrolling anywhere they choose.

It will be hard for either of them to get a hardship waiver to overrule UH's restrictions since they both blabbed about leaving before Dickey was fired. Especially House.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>College basketball sources: UH coach Kelvin Sampson hires Texas State assistant coach Talvin Hester as a new Cougars assistant coach.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/458773072749658112">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its against AAC rules to transfer within the conference.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UH signs 6-2/185 point guard Chuck Baker from Lee College in Baytown. Kelvin Sampson: &quot;He's got a lot of Pat Beverley in him.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/461254568886538240">April 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kelvin Sampson on new UH Point guard Chuck Baker(LeeCollege):&quot;He's got a swagger about him,a toughness we want our program to identify with&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/461255464630501377">April 29, 2014</a></blockquote>