1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

Welcome to Lubbock

2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Despite what happened in Kansas, Houston retains a solid number one seed according to Joe Lunardi. That's all that really matters. That and hoping that Javier Francis is okay. He only played 4 minutes yesterday and never came back from what was later described as a hip pointer. Any team that can hit almost 70% of their shots against us needs to be applauded and move on.

We have nine games left in conference play. Other than Okie State on Tuesday their is not a game on the remaining schedule that can be taken for granted. We will know a lot more about this team when we reach the last game of the regular season on March 9th at home against Kansas. I am thinking we will not see a repeat performance. As Jamal Shead goes so goes the Cougars. I think on March 9th Jamal and the rest of the team will make adjustments and put forth a much better effort than what we saw yesterday in Kansas.

Pat and Madmanmetz like this.
  3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It was not an entertaining game. But sometime you run into a team hitting everything. Furphy was killing us in the 1st half. Sad Francis went down but JoJo just got a great chance to get experience of what March basketball will be like and he did great. I knew they Coogs would fight back and they put up a decent shot that would have cut it to 7 followed by a couple others that could have got it to 8. I kept say I felt like we were down 30 but it was 15 most of them game.

If the Coogs return the favor at the end of the season everyone will be talking about how tough the Coogs play defense and rebound better than anyone.

Shead had me hoping after Texas he was going to bed a 18 point a game guy from her out. This team needs either Sheads scoring or Dunn needs to catch fire and get about 10 to 15 a game come tournament time.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I just laugh at their ignorance or stupidity, maybe both.

As for those asking about size. Sampson thinks height is not important. Length and quickness is what they want. He has stated that many times.

YOLO, Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Hadn't worked out for him yet.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’d bet dollars to donuts Kansas doesn’t shoot 70% playing in Houston

Madmanmetz and seemoreroyals like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

HOUSTON HAS SOLVED THE PROBLEM?

MadMax likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Lol I laughed!!

9. Nook

Nook Member

This was predictable. They came off a very tough game against a UT team that really needed a win - UH won that game through pure effort.

They followed that up against possibly the best team in the country in a hostile environment and with their best played (Shead) banged up.

It’s a tough situation - UH has like a 45/55 chance against KU at home.

Losses happen and you move on.

Madmanmetz, solid, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

It’s worked out pretty well actually. Just bc
    He hasn’t got a natty doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. His success turning around UH into a now top program says enough. Every year now they are one of the top programs in the nation with consistency. He doesn’t like just traditional bigs. Theyre too slow. They don’t fit the program. He wants mobility and length. And player development is a key for his bigs. Its been that way for all his bigs

last time I checked all the premier slow bigs flame out in March for the last several years. Edey, taco fall, Garza, timme, bacot, hunter, cockburn who UH took out actually.

#7690 YOLO, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Madmanmetz likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

It is easy to forget how bad UH was before Sampson choose to accept the head coaching offer.

The consistency and high level of play is really impressive and he has largely done it with less big name recruits than any other major program.

Sampson actually likes size. He has explained it before, he won’t take size just for the sake of size - but he likes size if the guy can play at a high level. He doesn’t want plodders, he wants guys that can move their feet. He has recruited a number of good bigs but they have largely gone elsewhere, it’s tough to get them.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Most traditional slow bigs know they can’t handle the identity UH plays with. It’s non negotiable on what KS expects. He doesn’t hate size but his priority is length and being able to move. That’s why notable folks always highlight his assembly line of bigs who are long and rebound the hell out of the ball and defend

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I agree. I think it was CKS that said "You don't block shots with your head." We have three guys that are about 6'7" or 6'8" with incredible wing spans, quickness and jumping ability. One of them went down 4 minutes into the game. We didn't lose this game because of size. We lost this game because Kansas was more aggressive. Sure we forced 18 turnovers but the way they were passing the ball before our defense was set and hitting close to 70% of their shots. That's what cost us the game.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is who wins in the end, but Sampson needs more height whether he thinks so or not. Guy Lewis had some "towers."

15. Buck Turgidson

Who is CKS?

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Coach Kelvin Sampson

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd beat all 4 of my kids Sampson would recruit a kid named "Akeem" Olajuwon. By the way has not a 7 footer either.

Length and quickness in spades.

seemoreroyals and solid like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Right, only 6'10"

19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I looked up " Akeem's " wingspan 7'6" same as Tugler. Francis has 7'5" wingspan. Not sure about Roberts. Hunter Dickinson wingspan only 7'3'.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

When I used to see him going against Moses at Fonde Rec Center they were exact same height. Moses was always listed 6'10. Before my time but the Big E was 6'9".

I think the last time they had a 7' that got minutes was Pat Foster era and that dude rarely played (Teheran), Bo Outlaw was the better player at 6'8". Further back Greg Anderson was 6'10" with Rolando Ferreira 7'1" that was size but they never did anything special.

I trust Sampson and his factory of bigs that grind and rebound play D everywhere. They have been extremely successful, Coogs win total and tournament success is the proof. Now higher caliber recruits are paying notice, they might get a player that is special at some point over 6'10"

seemoreroyals likes this.