1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Caleb love is my #1 choice for UH in regards to transfers. Extremely talented and KS can maximize his NBA potential. He’ll also have a chip on his shoulder after a dismal season that was supposed to be great at NC

not really a fan of LJ cryer with his lack of size and inability to defend

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Interesting. Hope he picks KS so we can see him next year :)

3. Buck Turgidson

ROCK3TM4N and YOLO like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I love the size of Caleb Love and felt he was a really good high school player, but he really has struggled in college to shoot the ball.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Cryer is just too small. However, if there is any program that can hide him defensively, it is UH. I actually think he would work at UH.

MadMax and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

solid sophomore year when NC went to the finals. I think a KS rejuvenation much like Grimes would do wonders for him

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I would gladly take a chance on him, he has talent and size... was a big time recruit. I am mostly puzzled by his woes shooting. I would actually be happy with both Cryer and Love - if it isn't Cryer, we need someone that can shoot and get us offense.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

his shot selection from what I've seen can be attributed to that. I don't seen a lot of him taking good open shots and rather a lot of tough shots. That's probably more to do with NC's system but That's obviously something KS and this program can work on with him.

Nook likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

UH has had problems with outside shooting going cold...may want to sacrifice a tad bit of defense to improve the offense, situationally at least.

And trust the Sampsons to make him playable with 4 very-good-to-great defenders around him.

MadMax and Nook like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sampson has a pretty hardline stance about defense and rebounding.

If you don't do both of those things to an at least above average level you don't play.

But yeah I'm with you. We need at least one elite scorer if we're going to get over the hump.

I've always believed that good defense can generate offense, but I'm ready to see somebody fill it up.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YOLO likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Caleb Love isn't realistic from what I've seen. Seems it's either Indy or Missouri from reports for him

13. Buck Turgidson

I meant to ask earlier, because I totally missed this development:

Why is Mark transferring?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

good question. Still pretty puzzled but I'm going to let the dust settle before I dive into this with personnel on the coaching staff, while the program is busy with the portal and early offseason.

@Nook has his own info on this though.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

One thing I heard was he wanted to play PG. I also think the coaching staff expected him to test the NBA, and told him he might not have a scholarship if he changed his mind and pulled out the draft.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

testing nba waters at UH is never an issue. They encourage it while maintaining eligibility. Because it helps gets these players better. The deadline to withdrawal just before the draft gives these guys time to get some evaluation and league feedback. Huge plus

It's exactly what Sasser did last year. It's what Shead is doing now. Mark is doing the same thing but he already decided not to come back here specifically already

Not enough scholarship slots is definitely not an issue. They had trouble filling all there scholarships just a year ago and gave their last one to a practice player

#7076 YOLO, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

He doesn’t get along with coach sampson and tired of his b****ing.

18. Buck Turgidson

Took him ~4 years (HS+3) to figure that out?

It's just weird to me, he was basically going to be The Guy in their backcourt next season counted on to score many points, I can't think of a better situation.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He wants to be the primary scorer and ball handler.

Which is kinda big time dumb because he would be our primary scorer and secondary BH next year.

He got bad advice from a family member or something.

Best case scenario he goes somewhere crappy and just ballhogs and ends up being a Westbrick style volume shooter.

Those programs on his wishlist won't Grant him that opportunity. He's gonna have to go to a really mediocre squad to get that chance.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Assuming he wants to be westbrick. Of the final 4 on the list Kansas st and Arkansas gives him the chance.

DonnyMost likes this.