1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Seth Davis...is that you?

MadMax likes this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I know what I am watching, and it is not a top ten team. The play defense really well. All Sampson team's do, BUT, on the offensive end they are not only inconsistent, but not really impressive. The Hayes/Chaney team of the sixties was downright dominant. You couldn't stop them. They overwhelmed you much like PhiSlammaJamma. Those were the two top tier UH teams from the past. This one is simply not that dominant or impressive. They may have the potential to be a "vintage" UH team, but they have a lot of improvement to do. I love UH, I want them to win it all, but that is what I see now. You are dead wrong about my knowledge of college basketball. We will see. I want them to succeed, but I have played and seen a ton of basketball, and at this point, I am not seeing what I want to see.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Not a top 10 team? Really?

There are no guarantees in the NCAA tournament but this UH team is definitely a top 10 team.

They are 14-1 and already beat the #2 team in the country and should have beaten Alabama but narrowly lost.

There is a decent chance they are #1 by next week, but even if they are not, they will be in the top 3.

They have a really good shot of finishing anywhere from 27-4 to 30-1 this season.

They are very very good and are getting better as the season progresses and they are extremely deep.

GradyMcTracy, Houston Native and YOLO like this.
  4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I just wanted to sign on just to tell you that you are a one dumb ass MF’er! UH not a top 10 team are you fcuking kidding me?! Get the F out of here you dumb ass. Can’t stand stupid ass MF’ers like you. That’s why UH will be rank #1 in the AP poll next week.

YOLO likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL you realize referencing the 60’s has 0 bearing on today.

LOL at this post. It’s all kinds of just stupid. Yeah you have no clue what a top program looks like. Don’t bother hopping on the wagon when UH is deep in March. I’m spot on. I’ve seen plenty of your Debbie downer posts for awhile and you’re consistently wrong. A lot of the KS comments I post are directed specifically at casual folks like you

The fact that you can’t even appreciate a rare team like this says enough and how you have no idea who college basketball works. Yeah we know you don’t see it because you’re unable to. That’s a you problem. Go find another program to follow. UH is better off without blind Debbie downers like you that act like they know wtf they’re talking about.

#5785 YOLO, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Gimmmethemike likes this.
  6. solid

That is such a childish response. I bet Sampson agrees with me more that you, I will keep cheering for them, and this will be my last response to one of your posts.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lmao. Nah he doesn’t since I’m actually around him from time to time. Which I’ve made pretty clear for quite a long time. What a silly assumption. He actually laughs at people like you all the time and why he makes references to casuals that don’t know the game often. It’s literally for folks like you. And then you have literally elite coaches across the nation co-signing this program but solid from cf’s “I don’t see it” knows better. But the many games I’ve watched. LOL

Don’t bother. You don’t deserve to cheer to what UH has become with your lack of appreciation. It’s embarrassing actually to see someone being a debbie downer for a now elite program that was literally built from the bottom.

#5787 YOLO, Jan 4, 2023
    Gimmmethemike and tochiee22 like this.
  8. solid

I agree with your last statement.

Nook likes this.
  9. solid

#5789 solid, Jan 4, 2023
  10. solid

This post was for Gimmethemike

11. solid

Thanks for your courteous response. We should be able to disagree without personal attacks or profanity. Most of us are here because we like to talk sports. Mostly we are avid sports fans. I have been a Cougar fan for many years. I love UH, want them to succeed at the highest level. This particular team has just not impressed me so far. Their record is very impressive, but watching them, they labor on offense. The young "stars" aren't stars yet. Clearly, they are a work in progress. I would prefer for them to be ranked lower so they can build to the Tournament. On the other hand, given their past history, they are likely on every team's hit list anyway. Thanks again. I like discussing sports with fans who don't yell, scream, and curse.

PhiSlammaJamma and Nook like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

stop embarrassing this thread with your fake fandom. There's already enough sorry teams in houston for you to join in on with that energy and telling folks what you don't see.

UH definitely ain't one of them. They pride themselves on the folks that have seen the growth to the top from scratch. Leave your hot takes as far away as possible. They're pathetic. college basketball is way over your head

GradyMcTracy likes this.
  13. Aware

Aware Member

I tend to be pessimistic but i've learned to trust this program.
    Outside of that baylor game, we've been competitive against everyone in the Sampson era.

Madmanmetz, MadMax and solid like this.
  14. OpportunityCost

I agree with the take about the offensive side, and I think that's what could hurt us in the tournament once we face elite defenses - we've struggled this year against good defenses. Sampson is going with a mostly ISO brand of basketball, and on some nights I think it will work b/c we have a lot of good scorers, but what if they have an off-night and are playing an elite defense? I think it will be Villanova all over again.

I hope Sampson will be willing to work in some sets to mix it up if our ISO is being shut down, but he seems pretty stubborn on this so it may not happen and I think it will be to the detriment of the team come tournament time.

If our offense could ever become consistent, I think we could beat anyone with our other pillars such as defense, hustle and effort. However I think it will be on the coaching to have audibles they can call on offense to put them in good positions to score IF they're having trouble getting their own shot or making a play ON THEIR OWN. Yet, I keep hearing CKS say they have to make a play. WELL, WHAT IF THEY CAN'T THAT NIGHT??? You just leave them to their own devices? No, you draw up something to help them get in a better position to score. That's what a coach is there for!! Yes! If they're not scoring on their own via ISO and it's leading us into a 7-minute scoring drought which could increase our chances of LOSING the game, IT IS YOUR JOB to put them in a good position to score for the sake of winning because there is a game-clock that will EVENTUALLY expire. You do it for out-of-bound plays, why not for a half-court offense??

Many college teams have amazing one-on-one players, but they still mix in sets to help them.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the development of the players later in the season. Can you imagine if Shead, Sasser, Mark and J. Walker all have it going at the same time? That will be tough to stop.

#5794 OpportunityCost, Jan 4, 2023
    solid likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Jarace Walker is like if Tari Eason went super saiyan.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jarace starting to put it together. We're scary now, but by the end of the year...

GradyMcTracy and MadMax like this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SMU doesn't have anything upfront. We're outrebounding them 28-11.

18. solid

Welcome to the season, Mr. Walker. Who lit a fire under him? Wow, talk about a hot start. So far, this team looks every bit like its ranking. SMU is better than it's record and is getting blown out. Defense has not been the problem this season. Offense has been inconsistent, but if this continues, the team will roll. Very encouraging. I have been able to see on only a few games and this is best the team has looked so far.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Boring win. Boring cover. Another game where UH is just on another level

MadMax likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My favorite part was when they left Klingler in the game to run the score up on that school from Dallas.

SWTsig and Jturbofuel like this.