1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Let's see what happens..... but getting to the Sweet 16 basically confirms my opinions that before injuries this UH team was as good as any in the country and would have been a one seed.

For all the talk of Coach K and Coach Self, etc..... when it comes to actual coaching and getting the most out of his players, Sampson may be the best in college basketball and I really wonder what would have happened had Sampson been the Rockets head coach.... but we will never know.

Every team is different, but assuming Sasser comes back, this team with Walker and two other big prospects coming back and Mark being older, should start the season in the top 5 for next year. They have a chance to not lose a single game in conference and a chance to be favored in every game all year.

Winning a Final Four takes talent and some luck.... and I find it amazing that the UH program finds itself in position to win a National Title.... has already gone to one Final Four and makes it to the Sweet Sixteen with the injuries that they have. If they beat AZ they will likely be a big story nationally.

I think Zona should be favored by 4, but lets see how it plays out.... TCU had them on the ropes. The defense on Mathurin is going to be key.

Kim, BallSoHarden and YOLO like this.
  2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I am absolutely living in the moment, but it's hard not to get excited about the 2022-2023 season.
    Returning: Marcus Sasser
    Tramon Mark
    Jamal Shead (hopefully he doesn't get some bad advice like Nate Hinton and Armoni Brooks).
    Ramon Walker Jr
    Robbie Armbrester

Incoming: Terrance Arceneaux (5 Star Recruit)
    Jarace Walker (5 Star Recruit)
    Emanuel Sharp (4 Star Recruit)

Then fill out the rest of the squad from that beautiful thing called the Transfer Portal and lets roll!

Madmanmetz, GradyMcTracy, Kim and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Reggie Chaney is coming back. KS may not have any spots for use of the transfer portal. Barring injury or some other unexpected circumstance. As of now, he doesn't.

Hinton/Brooks made it into the league. I wouldn't call it bad advice. It's on them from that point once they got their spot in the league

Plowman likes this.
  4. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Agreed on them making into the league. Selfishly, I would've liked to see them both stay another year. But who am I to tell a kid to not go pro? I'll eat that one.

I wonder what Caleb Mills is up to at Florida State. Did anyone ever figure out why he left UH?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

He left because he was unhappy. He got hurt and never was able to recover that year. Guys were playing better than him and he had to dial back his role. Gotta remember Grimes became our best player and go to guy. Sasser also took his step up. He made the decision to transfer, as he wants a big role as one of your scorers

He has really struggled at Florida State and they had a bad year

#4745 YOLO, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Kim likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I have heard that Sasser isn't a guarantee to come back and they think another kid may decide to transfer.

The reality is that UH will be fine either way because they are so strong on transfers

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sasser is more likely than not to come back from what I've been told. Had he not been injured he would have not come back and declared to go pro. He's going to spend the offseason getting a ton feedback though for the next level

unless ive missed something nobody not named a senior will be transferring, will be back. it would be someone that isn't even in the rotation which isn't a big deal at all. that happens

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah Sasser is expected back but it is far from a slam dunk. There are some teams in Europe that supposedly have some degree of interest. If he comes back, great, he will be averaging over 20 points a night.... if he doesn't come back there are guys that are waiting and capable, and he will be replaced by a really strong transfer.

I have had a few people that I respect a lot, that know a lot of basketball and work in the field tell me that Arcenaux is going to be a very very good college player from day 1.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Hope so because Sampson doesn't typically play true freshman unless they're really that good

Nook likes this.
  11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

All I know is that the new Big 12 is going to be a NASTY basketball conference. The future is extremely bright for not only UH Athletics, but the university as whole. To see what it has become since I graduated in 2008 is just amazing.

12. MystikArkitect

So who's going to SA?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

1 more day!! Man Sharp has lost a ton of weight lol

Aware likes this.
  14. Aware

Aware Member

anyone here actually familiar with the arizona team? they seem pretty big and athletic
    maybe comparable to memphis?

Fulgore likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

GradyMcTracy and Aware like this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Check out #0 for Arizona. Bennedict Mathurin. Flat out stud and probably a top 8 pick.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

MM coming through again for the home team. Hope At&t Stadium is rocking with students

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Line: Arizona -1.5
    O/U: 145

Let's get it !!!

Screenshot_20220324-064454_Google.jpg

It's bullsh1t Tech is playing simultaneously. PST Gonzaga plays early while EST Duke plays late

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Is it 9pm yet

#4759 YOLO, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It sure is nice to be pumped up about this for the last couple years and should be next year.

Go Coogs