1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Costco pulls Palmetto Cheese from 120 stores after owner calls BLM 'terror organization'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Sep 22, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum @Invisible Fan
    some of you guys got serious problems if you buy this much cheap ass cheese from Costco

you better go get a colonoscopy soon

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't knock dem fancy euro coochiecoochie ham n cheese plates till you tried em.

B-Bob, tinman and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

What the CEO said made no sense and honestly sounded racist. He talked about a black man killing White people (not thugs) and then some how connected that to BLM (???)...

Costco knows that a majority of America is sick of racist and hateful bigots and dropped the CEO’s product. Costco doesn’t want to be associated with bigotry and moved on. They can find someone else to sell cheese.

I keep hearing “well shouldn’t the CEO or person X express their opinion? So do they have to hide their opinion?” ..... it’s simple, don’t be a racist or bigoted ******* and you would need to worry about hiding the fact you have terrible opinions.

On a more important note, this ******* has a wife named “Sassy”? That is like the most rich Southern Antebellum name. I’m picturing her having Uncle Ben’s or the dude from Cream of Wheat cooking her a meal while she sits at the kitchen table telling him how hard it is being rich and white in the South.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

If people are mad that there's no more 10 pounds of processed cheese at costco
    BLM stands for Bad Lactose Moment
    @Os Trigonum

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I get my fromage from Central Market.
    Why would I care about these cheese wiz swallowing fatsos at Costco?

This is the dumbest story ever

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Tell me more how Costco is a state (meaning government) actor for your constitutional analysis here. I’ll wait

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I support businesses rights. I also support their consequences. Even if they dont want to bake a cake a certain way.

Its a bit pompass to criticize someones name, especially in a stereotypical manner. What does her name have anything to do with her character?

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I thought it was obvious, but I don’t give a **** what her name is or isn’t.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Like when people want to cancel the NFL because players kneel to express the free speech of which you speak?

Glad to hear you support the players right to express their free speech.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If all these people are for justice, why is there a need to protest injustice?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just .... I can’t right now Gabriel. Good lord.

CometsWin, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I
    Perhaps because injustice still exists?

Nook likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Or perhaps individual situations dont represent the system as a whole

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It reminds that these big retailers like Costco and Walmart have huge leverage on these much smaller suppliers. If you remember the anti-Walmart animus (before Amazon), they'd make suppliers sell for essentially no profit just because they represented so much volume.

The extra wrinkle in this case, Costco can employ their leverage on the CEO for his speech not a a CEO but under his other hat as mayor. I don't approve of his anti-BLM BS at all, but he said that as mayor. Costco used their business relationship to get at him. I'm not completely comfortable with that. Part of that is on the CEO himself -- he chose to wear the 2 hats and sometimes they will come into conflict. By his reversing himself, he obviously has put the interests of his business above the interest of his mayoral office. Again, I think Costco is simply forcing him to do the right thing, but it still feels dirty.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just think he shouldn't be a CEO of a company while being a mayor. That's just asking for conflict of interest.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah that stuck out to me as well.

And look at her pic from the press conference, I bet she went real sassy on her husband messing with the money.

Nook likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes zero sense and I am surprised you are giving it credit.

All they did was cancel the relationship with the company unless I am missing something?

Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I don't care if he said it as Mayor or CEO or head dog catcher.

CometsWin, Rashmon and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. On the other hand, small-town mayorships usually pay nothing or a pittance. It's probably not fiscally responsible for small towns to financially support their mayor. But, that model means your mayor is going to be part-time and that they're doing something else to earn their living at the same time. Potential for conflict of interest is probably inevitable if you can't pay a competitive salary.

I don't think Costco is trying to make the mayor say any particular thing. They just don't want to associated in the newspapers with someone who is going to make them look bad. And it is very easy for them to cut suppliers that cause trouble. They made a business decision that was best for them. Fine. But the effect is that there is a mayor who expressed his dumb political views, and because he displeased one company his company was particularly vulnerable to, he had to take it back. To whatever extent he's a leader of Pawlsey Island trying to shepherd his flock in his own dumb and racist vision, he won't be able to because of the other hat he wears. At least it was just rhetoric he had to walk back, and not an ordinance or other city business. But, I guess you can only have that sort of leadership that is insulated from moneyed influence if you can pay the mayor a fair wage out of your own tax base.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Word on the street of Pawleys Island is that the mayor is not welcome at the next whine and cheese party and better watch his back in the next election.