1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Costco Ends Return Policy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by redefined, Feb 26, 2007.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Costco was bound to end its unlimited return policy sooner or later. I now have to second guess myself and be very cautious when it comes to buying electronics. I feel sorry for anybody who never made use of this policy to begin with. It was a real luxury to be able to buy a camera or a TV and return it a year later when a new, better model came out.

:(

Here's the new policy:
    We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

what about exchanges?

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

why do you think they changed it? maybe if people would quit taking advantage of their good graces, the policy would still be in effect for those who really needed to return something.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That sucks.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/305240_costco27.html
    Costco tightens its return policy
    'A few jerks' prompt retailer to alter rules on electronics

By CRAIG HARRIS
    P-I REPORTER

Costco Wholesale Corp.'s liberal return policy on most consumer electronic products is being reined in.

The Issaquah-based retailer has begun limiting money-back returns on TVs, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPods, MP3 players and cell phones to 90 days. Previously, there was no time limit except for personal computers, which was six months.

The change went into effect Monday in Costco's 109 California stores and begins March 12 in all 27 Washington stores. The company has more than 500 U.S. stores.

The policy also will begin in other West Coast states on March 12 and then move through the country until all U.S. and Puerto Rico stores adopt the 90-day return policy by April 2, Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti said.

The cash-and-carry retailer will provide a free two-year warranty for TVs and computers as part of the policy change. Electronics goods purchased before the new 90-day policy goes into effect can be returned at any time.

"If we are going to make a change, we want to make it the best policy out there," Galanti told the Seattle P-I.

The change was implemented because the company was losing "tens of millions of dollars" in returns, Galanti said. He declined to specify the losses.

JP Morgan Securities analyst Charles Grom estimates that returns of consumer electronics pared 8 cents a share from Costco's earnings last year, when Costco reported earnings of $2.30 a share.

Returns of consumer electronics -- flat-panel televisions, in particular -- put a squeeze on Costco's profit margins in its latest fiscal year. Costco has posted strong sales of the TVs -- including a 50 percent rise in November at stores open for at least a year -- but it has seen many come back to its stores as customers encountered difficulty installing them at home.

advertising
    Galanti said some Costco members would buy big-screen TVs and then return them months later, when newer, and less expensive models went on sale. He said the practice had become so prevalent one member recently wrote the company saying she was disappointed because she had heard Costco was going to stop its "free TV upgrade policy."

Galanti said Costco never had such a policy.

Edward Weller, an analyst with ThinkEquity Partners in San Francisco, said the change would help the company's bottom line.

"While the policy is far more restrictive than before, it is far more liberal than anybody else in retail," Weller said. "People had been returning TVs they had bought for $2,000 last year and turning around and buying the same TV for $1,200. This is patently abusive, but Costco didn't want to change the rules for everybody just because a few jerks were, essentially, stealing."

"One of the things that has been an issue from shareholders is controlling the cost of electronics returns," Galanti said. "We went from a policy that might have been abused."

The new two-year warranty is not in addition to any manufacturer's warranty, Galanti said. For example, if a computer company provides a warranty for six months, then Costco will cover the warranty for the next 18 months.

"Warranty does not mean we will replace it if it's run over by your car," Galanti said.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Which is pretty much a big reason it won't exist anymore.

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

no thanks to you redefined :eek:

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I can still return my wireless router when it craps out once a year. I paid 30 bucks extra for a reason!

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

I'm totally sympathetic...NOT.

9. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

well, since the things i bought previous to this new rule coming in can be exchanged at any time, i'm indifferent i suppose.. will just have to stop buying anything from costco.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's the truth.