1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Costanza's Back!! As Kornhieser??!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macho GRANDE, Oct 2, 2003.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Alexander to play 'Interruption' co-host in sitcom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

"Who am I?"

"You're Tony Kornheiser."

Then who's behind the mask?

It's Jason Alexander, who's going to play the Washington Post columnist and co-star of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" in a CBS sitcom pilot.

You've got to be kidding.

No, it's true. At least that's what the Post reports in a story published Thursday.

"Shut Up and Listen," to be based on Kornheiser's columns in the Post's Style section about his real life, was developed for CBS's fall lineup. However, it was delayed, perhaps until spring or next fall, according to the Post, because CBS and the production company couldn't find the right Kornheiser.

John Goodman was considered, but "is no Tony Kornheiser," notes the Post. "Jason Alexander, on the other hand, practically is Tony Kornheiser," according to the Post.

It's easy to picture Alexander behind the Kornheiser mask, sitting opposite Michael Wilbon, pulling off one of PTI's recurring shticks. True, Alexander's shorter, but who notices when they're sitting down?

What is noticeable is that they have "the same hair," as Kornheiser acknowledged to the Post. And, anybody who knows Kornheiser knows that he and the George Costanza character played by Alexander on "Seinfield" are similarly neurotic, too.

The Kornheiser character is named Tony Kleinman in the pilot script. He's a sports journalist with two teenagers who, according to DeKoven, "is very comfortable in the world of sports but uncomfortable in the world of parenting."

The show was developed by longtime Kornheiser friend and former NBC exec Lindy DeKoven, who will be executive producer. She wanted Alexander from the start. "He was among the first people we even thought of; he seems like he fits the role," DeKoven told the Post. "Tony, as you know, is not the easiest guy -- this is not tall, dark and handsome. Just say it wasn't an easy role to cast."

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Blorph! I need a Tums!!!

3. rudager

rudager Member

Is the principal from Boston Public playing Wilbon?

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ha!

Kornheiser is the best and funniest sports columnist/personality in the biz!

5. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

That should be pretty dang funny.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

There has to be an appropriate Seinfeld quote to be posted here, I just can't think of one. :(

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

George: No sports jacket? I don't need a sports jacket? Writers wear sports jackets.

Jerry: Forget the sports jacket.

George: I won't feel like a writer.

Jerry: You're not a writer.

George: Right!

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

"I find it hard to concentrate unless it's about sports."

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So much for my wanting to see Jason become Art Vandelay of Vandelay Industries. The whole series would be about Jason pretending to be an architect for a fictitious company. The wealthy industrialist Mr. Penny-Packer could make guest appearances.

Oh well. :(

10. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I can't see anyone playing Kornheiser.

11. drapg

drapg Member

Kornheiser has been talking about this show, a semi-biographical sitcom, for a long time now.

As his #1 fan, I am glad to see it finally coming to fruition.

12. Buck Turgidson

"I'm back, baby!"
    - George Costanza

13. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

I must concur. There is no more enjoyable part to my work day than listening to the fat, bald orange moron along with Andy Pollin, the Duke and Showkiller from 9-12p Central on ESPN Radio. Although we come from entirely different demographics, it is easy to find humor in his day to day foibles, self-deprecation and overall throwback attitude as an old school journalist.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don't understimate the Seinfeld curse...I give it a season, tops...