1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of moving Anderson ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 21, 2017.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most stretch pfs dont shoot that many 3s because they also do other things like rebound, scoring in the paint and defense. Anderson may have taken a lot of 3s but his 13 pt season average shows he doesn't score enough to justify his role if your only value is scoring and you don't do anything else how come you only score 13 pts in 30+ mpg?

Anderson is a true stretch 4 who shot 40% in the regular season but only 28% in the playoffs and was such a liability he got benched against the Spurs. This makes him ridiculously unattractive to potential targets because the only teams who would want to pay 18M for a non-star guy are those who want to make noise in the playoffs and those teams don't want a playoff choker and mental midget who is also injury prone and avoids physical contact like the plague.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and Anderson is already in the best situation he can be in yet people still think he is overpaid and he is the no 1 "must go" player on the team. When Bev was made available the board exploded with rumors and 12 teams expressed interest in trading for Bev. That is an example of a highly desired player and an amazing asset. Anderson has been available since the deadline last season and yet there is zero interest from teams or any trade rumors at all even vaguely including Anderson. That shows the only way he leaves is if we add assets to the deal.

Comparing him to Kanter, Bazemore etc. Doesnt do Anderson any favors, if you compare 1 trash to another trash both are still trash. I would argue I'd rather have Kanter because he can reb or Bazemore because he can defend and play small ball PF and his inconsistent stroke is the same as Anderson's anyway.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Hmmm...

The teams that can absorb Anderson now is actually relatively plentiful, the bigger problem is that he has 3 years left and is a long term health risk. Even if a team has the room few teams would ever think they'll suck for all 3 years. so for the tanking / rebuilding teams the incentives to take Ryno is very low, you certainly have to give them something relatively significant to consider.

Maybe Wolfs now have an incentive to make playoff in next two years, that would be the team I think could potentially work . (they need Pet Bev too .)

But then you might run into the situation where your creating a very good team that compete against you. Towns / Ryno / Butler / Wiggins / Bev , you sure the Rockets can beat that team?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

roslolian likes this.
  4. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

We can dump that contract in Sacramento.

6. malakas

malakas Member

These are the possible destinations for Anderson Add to those Minny (will have to let Shabbaz go) Atlanta and Denver (FA leaving).

So it's more or less : Sac Philly Miami Chicago Brooklyn and Atlanta.

roslolian, Vivi, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hey, send him to the Hawks. He is better than the guys they got from Charlotte.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Could we make him a true stretch 4 and use the stretch provision on him? Would Les agree to eat the $60 million remaining? We could stretch his contract over 7 years, to about $8.5 million per year, with a cap savings of approximately $11 million for next year.

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Lowe doesn't think any team should be willing to take the Anderson contract and doesn't expect Houston to reach max cap space. The 3 years remaining kills us. Think about the cost to move Mosgov: essentially a former #2 pick, only 2 years removed. If you want to move him I just don't see how you'll have enough assets remaining to make a decent PG13 offer.

Think ultimately he is on the team to start season.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Philly is going after Reddick though, for about 18/20 if we believe the rumors, and they have Saric, Simmons, Holmes, Covington....Miami is going after Hayward, Griffin and probably other players like Millsap so, personally i'd take these two teams out.

To me seems like we have to hope in Atlanta, Chicago, Sacramento, Brooklyn and maybe Minnie (this might be easier if we also trade them Beverley i guess).

I agree with Lowe but keep in mind that the Lakers also got a pick and Lopez (which is still a decent/good piece even if expiring). Russell value wasn't that high at this point.

#90 Vivi, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    malakas likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Most likely the case.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Sacramento is the ideal dumping ground they have capspace but wont be able to use it on anybody. Anderson is locked for a long time so if they get him they will get a "true stretch 4" for 4 years and dont have to worry about him leaving.

Hopefully Morey can work his magic but I think the odds are stacked against him.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Sacramento has Skal Labisserie Harry Giles WCS Papa and Koufos as frontline. Pretty crowded already. If I were them I would rather give playing time to the youngsters than wasting capspace and minutes on Anderson.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sac wants to make the playoffs though they can trade away some of their bigs to us and absorb Anderson's contract. They have big men but all their big men do the same thing Anderson would provide "spacing" and "gravity" as a "true stretch 4" and provide complimentary skills to their front line.

If Sacramento just wanted to suck and develop their big men and get high picks they wouldn't have cleared cap space. This tells me they want to make the playoffs and Anderson can help them with that because all their players want to score in the paint or mid range they dont have any 3 pt shooters.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

The Wolves are in desperate need of some spacing around Wiggins, Butler, KAT, and Rubio. They could really use a stretch 4 like Ryno and they have the cap space to just absorb his salary if I'm not mistaken.

Then we can easily dump Lou and make an offer to CP3.

Ego, Bev, Dekker/Harell, and picks can all be on the table for Paul George.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Finding a sucker to take the absolute garbage contract that is Ryan Anderson will be the #1 factor in determining what can be done this offseason.

17. malakas

malakas Member

sorry but clearing capspace doesn't automatically mean you want to make the playoffs.
    It's more likely to mean " Throw me assets and I can take your bad contracts if the price is right".

If they didn't want to develop their big men then why draft them? their frontline is one roleplayer one 3rd year player 2 sophomores and 1 rookie.

MorningZippo, Vivi and Ming The King like this.
  18. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

lol holy hell why would they do that? They had to attach Russell to get rid of Mozgov and now you have them giving up 3 of their youth for an even worst contract?

Contract aside. No chance in hell they trade Randle for Anderson straight up and you have them also giving up Clarkson and Nance. LMAO.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I still laugh to this day at deluded idiots like larsv8 who said that Ryno contract was fine and is easily moveable. They justified Murray spending so much on a bench player by saying "the money had to go somewhere," "what did you want him to do with the cap space?"

Yeah Maury may well be able to move Anderson but it will take quite a few assets and sink our depth to move his garbage contract.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I agree.

Also didn't understand people saying his contract wouldn't keep the team from signing another star.

FTW Rockets FTW and kjayp like this.