1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correction: Rockets will GET a second round pick next year, not give up one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. nene

nene Contributing Member

This trade looks a lot better for the Rockets. But this was also a good trade for Minn. They picked up some needed veteran leadership and parted ways with their potential 3rd team pg. Depending on who will be there next coach and the kind of atmosphere he or she instills, after next year's draft this could be a very talented and dangerous team.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Was it cause dumb dumb David Kahn selected that guy who was "ineligable" from Qatar and the league said "HERE ya go, just for bein that dumb!"?

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

It was a good favorable trade for the Rockets. It looks lopsided from the Rockets perspective, that is for sure.

Good Job Morey :cool:

4. AXG

AXG Member

It's a censor bar.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets likely received a small trade exception for the difference in Miller and Flynn's salary (about $1.3m)...

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Great job Morey. You pwned in this deal.

LOVE Flynn.

LOVE Motiejunas.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I really do not se why Minesota would do this. (ofcourse other than it is Khan). If the rockets pick was not protectedd I could see the point. But now it just looks strange.

8. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

This should explain it all, from a Min supporter.

"If you want to skewer Kahn for drafting him in the first place, go right ahead. But at this point, Flynn is arguably the worst PG in the NBA. He has zero positive value. Getting money and future picks for him is about as good as anyone could do."

Also, this is what they said about Brad Miller..

"His contract is paid by insurance most likely. Him not playing is better then Flynn playing"

1 person likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Errr...so what exactly did Kahn get from this trade? Just cash? :confused:

Flynn>Miller
    20>23
    2012 2nd round pick>2013 Heavily protected 1st round pick

What a moron! We really should have tried to also buy back our 23rd pick, since they just sold it to another team.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Damn. DM tank now LOL! Suspend KMart a season for not playing defense, Scola for wanting to play basketball during the lockout, put Lowry and Dragic under house arrest and make sure Hill, Flynn and Thabeet get at least 30 mins of PT a night.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Insurance pays a contract if the player is physically incapable of playing. I don't think that's the case with Miller.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I think the main reasons they moved from 20 to 23 is because of the money. Why would they pick up a player at 20 that they think will be available at 23? Not to mention they got some solid cap relief with Brad Miller coming off the books with a team option instead of a player option. Good financial maneuvering by the T-Wolves, they managed to get what they wanted for cheaper than they would have without the trade.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1. would you have traded the memphis pick (lotto protected forever) to get out of miller's contract? (yes)

2. would you have traded cash for a second round pick? (sure)

3. would you have traded #23 for #20? (lol)

4. would you have taken on flynn for nothing? (LOL)

correct me if i'm wrong, but trading miller and only taking back flynn's salary should result in a TE in the amount of the difference between the two salaries, right?

14. Swami

Swami Member

Sweet!

15. Swami

Swami Member

Thanks for helping us understand the trade details. It looks pretty good from my perspective.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

NIKE, I just don't know how characterizing it as one vs. two trades changes that, though. I'm confused by that issue as well.

First off, the T-Wolves traded back multiple times (from 20 to 23 to 28 to 31), picking up multiple second rounders and cash along the way. Not a bad strategy if you've already got too many young kids on the roster (they took Bogan Bogdanovic, one of the best Euro stash picks, at 31). Still, Kahn would have been better off trading the pick (23) for a veteran. But if they really like Bogdanovic that much, I won't kill them for that strategy.

Second, neither Miller nor Flynn has a player option. Flynn's contract has a team option for 2012-13 that needs to exercised BEFORE next season starts. My guess is that Morey doesn't exercise it, meaning that Flynn would be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Miller, on the other hand, has no option. Instead, his 2012-13 salary is only partially guaranteed for $878k, meaning that his team could waive him prior to June 30, 2012 and avoid paying the rest of his $5.1M salary for 2012-13. They'd still have to pay him the $878k, though. Flynn is owed less money than Miller this coming season and is owed nothing the following season.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agree with everything except (1). Miller is basically an expiring contract. Unless you were SURE that clearing a little more cap space this summer would net you a great free agent, it's just not worth a first round pick to rid yourself of a below-MLE salary.

Instead, I look at it as trading up in talent (Miller to Flynn) and up in this draft (23 to 20) in exchange for downgrading a future pick (mid-to-late first rounder in 2-3 years down to an early second rounder next year) and coughing up some cash.

Either way, though, this trade was a no-brainer. Morey for the win!

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The new 2nd round picks has the taint of the Wolves. We are going to draft some 30-year-old fraudulent Nigerian prince with that pick for sure.

1 person likes this.
  19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K1LguC59quI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>