1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa Call-Up Warning Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 30, 2015.

1. HstnSprtsFan101

Carlos Correa officially promoted to Fresno

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wtf.....

I was going to the missions game tonight.....

Son of a b****.

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

This news makes me feel a little bit better about last night.

4. Txst

Txst Member

Super 2

6 more weeks! Get your tickets now to the home Yankees and Royals series at the end of June.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow on Carlos Correa:&quot;If he performs n Triple A the way he has been performing he's going 2be an option 4Houston n very short order&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/597845439203840000">May 11, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow on Carlos Correa: &quot;I think he'll play with the Astros this summer but that remains to be seen.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/597845470187126784">May 11, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

If he goes ham in Fresno like he did CC, he may force a decision quicker than July. One can hope, right?

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Get a sense that they are just pining for the proposed Super 2 cutoff so they can call him up. They have to have a specific date in mind.

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

There we go! One step closer

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Tonight? Didn't today's game already end?

10. tmacfor35

I thought it was tonight.

11. tmacfor35

Oh kidding it was today.

Saw 7 for tomorrow.

Thought it was 7 Monday!

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I really hope he doesn't end up coming up just a couple of weeks shy of the Super 2 deadline without a contract in place. But I do hope he tears it up in AAA.

Maybe I should hope for a 2 week adjustment period followed by 6 weeks of beasting --> promo

13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I saw Carlos Correa's last game in AA.

Glad I didn't wait.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you really honestly care about super 2? Like personally, does it affect your ability to be an Astros fan?

It's a big deal for the owner. Certainly, just one year of early arbitration could mean millions....but I still don't get why fans would get bent out of shape for that.

If Correa is indeed the real deal, and we have an owner/front office who wants to trade him during the arbitration time... Or keeps to such a fixed/tight budget that Correa's millions directly limits their ability to get or retain a needed player... Then I'd be more worried about facing those scenarios than an arbitrary super 2 deadline.

I do agree that a long term contract signing would be very nice... Mainly because that could bring him up tomorrow, rather than keeping him down for $$$ issues.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you really honestly care about super 2? Like personally, does it affect your ability to be an Astros fan?

It's a big deal for the owner. Certainly, just one year of early arbitration could mean millions....but I still don't get why fans would get bent out of shape for that.

If Correa is indeed the real deal, and we have an owner/front office who wants to trade him during the arbitration time... Or keeps to such a fixed/tight budget that Correa's millions directly limits their ability to get or retain a needed player... Then I'd be more worried about facing those scenarios due to having that sort of owner, than an arbitrary super 2 deadline.

I do agree that a long term contract signing would be very nice... Mainly because that could bring him up tomorrow, rather than keeping him down for $$$ issues.

16. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Anybody have a date that we could wait to that gives us the most control over him but still getting him up this year?

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His service time isn't effected by what time he gets called up this year. If we wanted another year of control we would have to wait until 2 weeks into the 2016 season.

Super 2 would mean he gets paid more, but doesn't change team control.

18. kaleidosky

Absolutely not.

Not bent out of shape at all. Just saying what I would l do if I were in their shoes, and therefore what I'm ok with happening and expect to happen. If I understand the rationale and even agree with it big-picture-wise (i.e. the millions might turn into an extra SP rental in a true contention year or something), it makes it easy for me to understand and applaud right now.

It's not that I think it limits us. But everyone has some limit in mind. Say for Crane, his absolute upper limit is $110M. If we're sitting at $100M in a contention (i.e. NL champ favorites or close to it) year, he's more likely to trade for a rental upgrade than if we're sitting at $110M. So I think the probabilities are higher than this enables a move down the line...I'd like to keep that option available given that this year is much less likely to be a "high likelihood of winning it all year" vs. the future, and given that we're talking about a 2-3 week difference in timing for the current year.

Yep, on the same page--because it accomplishes both things and locks him up longterm (risk minimizing)

#118 kaleidosky, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  19. kaleidosky

While technically true, it seems like good players would only be willing to deal with 2 years of arbitration at maximum. So in reality, I feel like Super 2 does cut a year off club control because it would likely result in a LT deal 1 year sooner.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I picked the monster up a few weeks back in my dynasty keeper league we've been playing in for over 10 years. I wasn't missing out like I did with Bryant. I'd be down for a 15 year SS/3B. Oh, and I want the 'Stros to be more bad ass and stuff.