1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa Call-Up Warning Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they deem Correa ready, there isn't a player on this roster that doesn't instantly become expendable in order to make room in the everyday lineup for him. You don't fret over players like Marwin Gonzalez or even Luis Valbuena if you're promoting your franchise's next super-duper star. He plays, and everything else works itself out.

Just a guess, but I imagine his stint in Fresno will last long enough for them to confirm AAA pitching isn't overwhelming him - 2, maybe 3 weeks, max. It'll be a short stint - essentially, a layover. When he leaves Corpus, I have to believe they think he's ready right then.

2. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

3. conquistador#11

the new mt rushmore of houston sports... Watt/Harden/Altuve/Correa. 2017 is coming.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Eff a super two

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They should give Fontana a shot and send Acorrea to triple A. Villar is not going to cut it.

6. Dankush

Dankush Member

Just call him up **** triple a, if they ever wanted to show some faith in ONE player instead of waiting until he is 23 and trying to sign him to a cheap skate contract and rubbing him the wrong way this is the one.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

When I said roster logjam, I meant in the lineup. So yeah, playing Valbuena/Carter/Gattis/Marisnick everyday I suppose is the tradeoff--one of those guys sits. And that's certainly fair, platoon or sit Valbuena is fine if that's the only consideration. But again, when you consider everything else (esp Super 2 and Lowrie's return), I think it pushes you towards the side of waiting.

yep, that I agree with. But if you promote him tomorrow, give him 3 weeks at AAA and say he's ready on June 1...and then say you have 4 weeks to get over Super 2 while also, I have to think you wait that out. (Or hopefully sign him to a 10 year deal and make all of this moot)

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'll be 20 when he puts on an Astro uniform... one of the youngest Astros ever.

The only reason to question this wait is if he is AWESOME when he's finally promoted, and people start extrapolating that production out to this time period when the team is struggling mightily to score runs. You can question it even more if they go into an extended funk that causes them to lose the division lead or any hope of the playoffs.

Best case scenario is that they withstand this lull, keep a 4-5 game lead in the division, and put it out of reach when #1 is finally here.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I got it... He's spending this time in AA to hone his baserunning. Well, 15-15 in stolen base attempts should do the trick, right?

10. Buck Turgidson

I know Dierker made his debut on his 18th birthday, Cesar Cedeno was 19, Joe Morgan and Jimmy Wynn were 20, Nolan was 19 with the Mets. I'm not sure of other notable Astros that would have been younger than Correa. I'm also not sure of notable in a bad way promising Astros who made the show early and flamed out (not gonna happen here barring something catastrophic, obviously).

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have a feeling that this will be his last series as a Hook.

Time to call the kid up.

12. vince

vince Member

It is exciting to see the development. And to think if the Astros are still pretending to be the playoff team in a month or two, he might still spark the offense enough to tilt the tide.

But the MLB is no joke. when elite prospects are tearing it up in the minors, and fizzle for a year or two in the majors, it should serve as a warning. Dont rush the talent.

Super exciting to have a player the calbur of Correa in the pipeline !!!

13. Buck Turgidson

"pretending"?

Get bent.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Exactly!

People need to get a grip on the fact that we are good!

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

I would say we are pretending to a certain extent and we aren't as good as our record shows. A couple of you homers should open your eyes and stop being so defensive.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Are you saying we wont keep up our pace and win 101 games? :grin:

It's a long season, and we're guaranteed (like every team) to have some ups and downs. Arguably more so than others, due to our 4/5 slots and offensive inconsistency.

Nonetheless, 85-90 wins is not out of the picture. We'd have to finish 70-60 to finish with 90 wins, which I don't expect, but hey, none of us expected to be 20-12 so what do expectations matter.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

I wouldn't bet against them especially if they bring up some of these young guys.

18. msn

msn Member

get bent.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member