1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa Call-Up Warning Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 30, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Jesus you persist with this BS argument. There's no way to know what players could have had much better careers if they hadn't been rushed.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It is impossible to prove one way or the other.

It is a fruitless argument.

3. Major

Major Member

The other person is the one that claimed he could name lots of those players. If he couldn't do that, he shouldn't make the claim.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This statement sounds to me like your saying that your main (only?) objection to a call up is that our need isnt great enough.

So if Marwin starts s*cking, Lowrie's recovery gets pushed back or the team starts losing, your position may change?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Right... its most definitely impossible to prove that a player struggled mainly because he was rushed.

But we do have plenty of examples of players who were promoted aggressively, struggled early, and adjusted/recovered.

Thus why I don't think anybody can use "don't rush, it breaks him mentally!" as a valid reason. Sure, if you're worried about a player's mental side of the game... or he's shown some serious confidence-loss issues at previous promotions... by all means it weighs into the equation.

However, there is absolutely not one shred of evidence that Correa would be considered as such a "case".

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd simplify the criteria to simply consider if Correa is "ready" or not. If he is, and he's got nothing left to prove/accomplish in minor league baseball, he's ready to begin his MLB career (which will magically coincide after the super-2 status).

And if he is ready, he's going to be an everyday player expected to live up to the billing.. the "distraction" and "arbitration clock" arguments are pretty hollow as well.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree readiness is the issue.

I think Correa is ready to be better than Villar.
    I think Correa is ready to be as good as Marwin.
    I think Correa is ready to be healthier than Lowrie.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luhnow says likely Carlos Correa promoted to Class AAA in May. Looking at where he stands in relation to Mark Appel: <a href="http://t.co/XnVzmhRaVm">http://t.co/XnVzmhRaVm</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/595666237956448257">May 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nick is right: there's one - and only one - legitimate reason to not promote Correa right now: he's not ready. That's it. Teams do not get worse by adding (potentially) great players. That's silly. All the chemistry and roster logjam possibilities will work themselves out if the kid can play.

(Having said that, great players who are terrible in the locker room, etc. - yeah, that could be an issue. But there's zero evidence that Correa will be an issue in that regard. And there's almost no one on this roster who you wouldn't jettison in an instant if they pulled bush-league Bo Porter crap about Correa.)

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Best of both worlds... doesn't rule out possibility that Correa is likely up here after expected super-2 deadline, but allows organization to keep up with the insistence that every player plays at least a little bit at each and every level (although I will be disappointed that I won't get to see him at Corpus this Summer.... I ain't going out to Fresno).

The Appel discussion is a little frustrating... but that's off-topic.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For grins, check out: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_bat&lid=109&sid=l109

Correa leads literally every category except:
    - Games (he has 24, leader has 25)
    - 3B (he has 1, leader has 2)
    - HR (he has 6, leader has 7)
    - BB (ok, he's a little further down here)
    - OBP (he's 3rd... his .468 trails the leader at .477)

In other words, Correa leads the league in: runs, hits, doubles, RBIs, total bases, stolen bases, batting average, slugging, and OPS; he's tied for 2nd in HR; and in 3rd in OBP.

His OPS is now north of 1.200. Unreal.

12. Nook

Nook Member

We are dealing with an inexact science when it comes to handling 18-23 year old young men and adversity. Some players seem to do well immediately and others struggle. I do agree with you that there is nothing to indicate that Correa would fail long term if called up.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We have plenty of examples of players who were promoted aggressively, struggled early, and washed out. So it's just as reasonable to use a "don't rush, it breaks him mentality."

I can't believe you keep posting this nonsense.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The nonsense is that you honestly believe the early promotion was the root cause for those players "washing out".

Give us those examples of players who were flawless and it was simply the early promotion that killed them (then I'd like to know what the organization thought about their confidence, maturity, leadership abilities, etc...things that Correa has already impressed at).

And I'd still say we have plenty more examples of actual good players who were unaffected or rebounded by aggressive promotions. Most of the franchise cornerstone/"special" ones (nothing to suggest correa isn't this type of player) were fast-tracked.

And in the end, Luhnow sees this the same way as well. He's going to AAA for about a month and will be up here after the super 2 deadline (unless he signs one of their patented extensions first).

#54 Nick, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  15. Dankush

Dankush Member

Nick is right, you are just baselessly speculating. Some guys just can't adjust to major league pitching. More time in the minors wont help them there.

16. Major

Major Member

There are also lots of players who were promoted slowly, struggled early, and washed out. Is it then reasonable to say "don't delay, it breaks him mentally"? :confused:

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Fresno is not scheduled to play at Round Rock this year either. Only series against them is at Fresno.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

One play whom Correa draws comparisons to--Manny Machado--has struggled mightily.

I'm not going to speculate at to the reasons for his struggles, but Machado was just as highly touted of a prospect as Correa.

19. Dankush

Dankush Member

LOL What a dumb post

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Health.

Would JD Martinez still be an Astro if he wasn't aggressively promoted? Or would he have never fixed his swing if he hadn't been here and failed (though he is struggling right now)? What about Jose Bautista?