1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corpus Christi - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DieHard Rocket, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DieHard Rocket

I've never been to Corpus, so I'm looking for some recommendations for a potential long weekend with the g/f. This would probably be over 4th of July weekend. Primarily just looking to hit the beach all day for a couple of days and find something to do at night. I've heard that there are some decent bars in town.

- Which beach? Doing some searching I see Mustang Island and Corpus Christi Beach...is either better than the other?

- Hotels? I've looked around on orbitz/hotwire...the Hilton Garden Inn and Courtyard caught my eye for the price. I just don't know which area would be best to stay in, or if it matters.

- Nightlife?

- Anything else to consider? I'm also open to other Texas locations, but I'd prefer to be on a beach not in Galveston. South Padre might be a little far...we'd leave on Friday, come back Monday most likely. We're also considering New Braunsfels/Schlitterbahn with a group of friends, but only if they go.

2. Landlord Landry

Aransas Pass for excellent fishing.

3. BasketballReasons

Corpus is tight! I used to love going there! Hope it hasn't suffered like Galveston tough..

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

we were actually thinking the same thing on a weekend when the hooks are in town.

5. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

If you are into this type of thing.... you can tour an aircraft carrier and they have a nice aquarium there as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Brotha Ishtar

Brotha Ishtar Member

advice is to keep driving to S. Padre. Corpus blows...other than Whataburger field. Seriously...the water apparently has as high a bacteria content as Galveston.

7. leroy

leroy Member

These 2 things will kill about 1/2 a day. Other than that, Mustang Beach is where you'll want to go. Personally, I prefer to stay in Port Aransas. You can get better rates right on the beach and it's not much further...depending on where you're coming from.

Check the Omni's in Corpus. They occasionally have couples packages where they'll leave some strawberries and champagne in the room, and include a free room service breakfast as well. There is a great steakhouse at the top of one of the. I think it was called Republic of Texas.

Water Street is where the nightlife is, but it's not all that hopping. The Executive Surf Club has some good bands every once in a while. If you're going this weekend, the Water Street Art and Surf Festival is going on.

8. IROC it

IROC it Member

At least drive over to the Port Aransas (north) end of the Padre Island. And if you do, try eating at The Crazy Cajun.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

Corpus blows... Do yourselves a favor and go to port a or rockport. I love rockport and the beach at port a is lightyears nicer than galveston

10. DieHard Rocket

So are the beaches at Port Aransas nicer than Mustang or Corpus Christi Beach?

11. updawg

updawg Member

as said above its either Port A or Rockport.

If you do stay in corpus stay at the Omni

12. updawg

updawg Member

Mustang Island, Port Aransas, N. Padre are pretty much the same area. Look it up on mapquest

13. Brotha Ishtar

Brotha Ishtar Member

stayed in the Omni for three weeks for a job there. Not the greatest, but that steak house on the top level is pretty official. It has a badass balcony too.

14. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Also, be sure to make the short drive over to Robstown for some Joe Cotten's BBQ - best in South Texas.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Go stay with my aunt and uncle. They can talk to you about their dogs.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Corpus Christi is kind of like Beaumont with a beach.

17. leroy

leroy Member

C'mon. It's not that bad. Beaumont doesn't have The Hooks/Whataburger Field.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Awkward.... for a moment there.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I went to Corpus this weekend, a lot nicer than I expected, never had been. The water is not blue, but its a lot less murky than galveston. like updawg says, don't really know the difference in the beaches on the island, they're all pretty much the same. in town, they are pretty much up to date on all chain restaurants.

I stayed at the omni, the view is really nice. my one piece of advise, drive to the island from padre, don't wait on the ferry at aransas pass.

20. esteban

esteban Member

I seconded everyone that said Corpus blows! I've never seen so many fat people there. My nephew is in med school and he is rotating in Corpus, he said Corpus sucks real bad.

Rockport on the other hand is nice, the beaches are in excellent condition, the wife and I are thinking about getting a little place there to get away on weekends or what not.

BTW, when you enter Rockport you will a see a big ass billboard with the picture of Dat Nguyen....just too damn cool!