1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corporations are People: GM Expert Says Ignition Switch Flaw Led To 19 Wrongful Deaths

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/gm-deaths-19-eligible-compensation_n_5823136.html

So . . .. .would it be possible for a regular non corporate person to kill 19 people and not goto prison or get the death penalty?
    Even after an admission of guilt?

"oops I mistakenly killed 19 people by serving them rat poison when I thought it was Skinny and Sweet . . .. .. . I let everyone know and replaced the items before more people died .. . . .my bad"

Some how I don't think that would fly

Rocket River
    Until a Corporation gets the death penalty . . .they are not people and should not have rights like people. . . .

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

9 to 5 reference....nice.

3. Major

Major Member

They don't have rights like people. GM can't go vote, for example. Nor can they get a passport.

That said, if you can figure out how to put GM in an electric chair or give them a lethal injection, I'd love to hear it. I assume, since you believe they are treated like people, we would have to use the same death penalty method as regular people would.

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/02/gm-ignition-switch-dollar-per-car_n_5075680.html

Despicable and stuff. They wouldn't fix the part for a dollar? How did they not think that a faulty part of this level of importance is not worthy of a recall? Thanks for making a thread about this RR.

Can someone with a little more legal expertise explain why nobody is facing any criminal charges? I admit ignorance on legal matters like this.

5. Major

Major Member

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Thanks! I can't rep you, I have to spread some more around first haha. What do you think the chances are of criminal charges being pressed and actually sticking? And what charges, if pressed, do you think they might be?

I remember my dad bickering at my sister for having too much stuff on her key ring because he said it could mess up the ignition switch. I always thought he was full of it.

7. Major

Major Member

To be honest, I have no idea to either of those. I haven't really followed this case closely, but I imagine it would come down to figuring out if this was the result of bad intent or just incompetence. I don't really know how criminal complaints work against corporations since you can't "jail" the corporation, so I imagine ultimately GM the Justice Dept would settle on some kind of fine (along with the individual lawsuits they face).

If they can identify an individual person with malicious intent, maybe they can pursue some kind of charge against them as an individual - but again, not sure what that would be.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

In china the executives would get shot.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

caveat emptor

10. Classic

Classic Member

Too big to fail.

11. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure how you'd put a tiny startup corporation in an electric chair either.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Take their incorporation papers . . .and run enough electricity through them until they burn
    Then . . .they are no longer a corporation and the 'owners' personal assets are no longer 'protected'

Plus they lose the right to influence politics . .. cannot donate to anyone anymore

Rocket River

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They have better right and protection than people. They can definitely influence voting through their massive pocket. They don't need a passport - they are international already. They are protected from even intentional wrong doing.

They are super people with much rights, power and protection for life, where life itself is only limited by how much money they have and can last multiple of normal people lifespan.

14. rudan

rudan Member

Ban all corporations. Ban all cars. Ban all jobs. Ban all people. Democrats will be safe from all injustice :grin:

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No need to go extreme. Just be practical and don't give too much power to something with only one purpose for existence - profit. Life be damn.

Corp can definitely be reformed to be more life sensitive.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I get your drift, but aren't the owners the stock holders? Including everyday working people who's retirement money through 401k's etc may be partially tied into the fold.

I do agree that GM should have to pay for this. And pay BIG. They should've listened to Joseph Juran and William Deming half a century ago like the Japanese and this wouldn't be an issue.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, the leeches of justice.

18. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I believe one corporation (actually a partnership) was executed: Arthur Andersen.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not being a corporation was probably the biggest reason they evaporated, Nancy Temple didn't look half bad back then.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nor can they provide goods or services to the general public. But yeah, easing pressure on DNC and liberal PACs, that's the priority.