1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cornel West: Obama "racist in effect"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 29, 2010.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this seems significant, via Legal Insurrection

---
    CORNEL WEST: Well, first I just want to say hello to my dear sister Amy, and I hope you’re staying strong, I hope you’re staying strong. No, I think Kanye West was actually right [that George W. Bush did not care about Black people], but we have to make a distinction between being racist in motivation and intention versus racist in effect and consequence. All you need to do is look at the history of the Bush administration and you will see policies that, in effect and consequence, generated levels of social misery among poor people, brown people, red people, but especially among working-class and poor people. So this is an important point. Now, if Kanye West had said he doesn’t care about the black poor, the evidence is overwhelming. But I think what happened was that President Bush understood this and individualistic way, which is the way most fellow Americans understand racism: "Do I actually hate black people individually?" No, I don’t think President Bush individually hates black people. His policies were racist in effect and consequence and especially classist in terms of generating misery among poor and working people, disproportionately black and brown.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well-

CORNEL WEST: And I would say that even about the Obama administration. The Obama administration seems to have very little concern about poor people and their social misery. Look at the policies vis-à-vis Wall Street downplaying Main Street. Look at the policies of black farmers, a settlement already in place but they don’t want to executed because they don’t want to be associated with black folk too explicitly. Look at the dilapidated housing. We can go across the board. Look at the New Jim Crow system: the Prison Industrial Complex. We’re not talking just about individual presidents. We’re talking about a system that is tilted against poor people, against working people, disproportionately black and brown and red.

1 person likes this.
  2. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

So when is OFA going to target West for a boycott?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why does it seem significant?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did you actually even read the quote or are you intentionally lying to us with your thread title?

Why is it that so many of your threads boil down to the Scylla and Charybdis of moribund, face-palming ignorance vs. deliberate, bald-faced mendacity?

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

apparently, my young apprentice, you didn't read far enough:

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nor did you, liar:

and especially classist in terms of generating misery among poor and working people, disproportionately black and brown. And I would say that even about the Obama administration

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

When I think of Rocket River, I think Cornel West with a Texas accent.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ha, basso quoting Cornel West. The Earth must be off its axis today.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Now that is hilarious!!
    I had the same hair style for a couple of years. . . until I Dredded again.

Rocket River

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The President of the United States of America, Barack Obama.

He's kind of a big deal.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

that's the system period. of course it will be the same for both admins.

the gap between the rich and poor is widening, and the powers that be couldn't care less.

strange thing to quote and trumpet like it's an indictment of the "other side" or something...

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basso;

Do you support the policies that West has advocated to address racial disparities?