1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops gonna Cop] Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. amaru

amaru Member

The same thing happened with the young father shopping in Walmart in Beavercreek.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Wow! This is a moronic comment. News Flash! Your run of the mill cop is not a highly trained military professional nor should they be. They are just a regular guy like anyone else here. Sure, they understand putting on the uniform puts them at an elevated risk for attacks, but by no means are they trained for unidentifiable assassins. This is the kind of **** you see in war, not peace officers.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

And yet they are firing assault rifles at people.

And the guy who got shot was NOT an unidentifiable assassin.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Toy truck could have had a car bomb.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Most toy truck car bombs are only big enough to hurt nearby GI Joes though. That should also be part of training.

6. TheresTheDagger

Ok, that looks pretty bad. Just like the other 2 shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota.

I'm all about waiting for the facts to come in, but its pretty hard to look at these shootings and not at least wonder WTF the cops were thinking.

Cops have an unbelievably difficult job, and I support them unequivocally but things like this show that we need to be asking our own local police forces what exactly is being done to train officers on deescalation.

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

People had to do all those and still got shot publicly.... Dont think even Nazi had done this stuff to their people.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Cop should lose his badge and this guy should get a nice settlement.

It should be obvious to anyone that police in this country are poorly trained in dealing with the public.We need a complete overhaul in mentality and standardized training for departments nationwide

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

First, drug laws cause more harm than drugs ever have.

Second, crime rates have dropped precipitously since the mid-1990s.

Do you ever get tired of believing so much bullsh!t?

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I know fully well. I work without any weapon besides a tactical knife in a very congestive territory that has crazy things happen all the time. I work with cops all the time in which we watch each other's backs. I know fully well going into a shooting and being on guard with nothing more than a radio and a hope that more personal and police can calm the situation. Having all this in my head and still trying to do my job and be calm.

It's a calling to get into this type of work and being terrified or paranoid of the people you are suppose to protect is detrimental to everyone involve.

I fully understand that if you have a gun and are shooting in the middle of the street on Sunnyside the police have a enough to go on to use lethal force. All incidents are different which is why I said I'll wait for the other videos to show the entire story because the media can change the narrative easily and often. Sometimes on purpose and other times with just being too presumptuous for breaking news.

Dashcam and maybe vest recorder could either help or damn the officer. In which if he was at fault he should not be working as an officer.

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Compare us to European countries we way far behind. Cops in that part of world don't even have to carry a gun.

I agree with War on Drugs as being a big failure.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I don't know, if you string together enough Black Cats or use a cherry bomb you can get some real collateral damage.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Because no one on the streets carries a gun.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given the amount of legal authority and weapons made available to many cops, we better make sure that they are well-trained professionals. Otherwise, **** like this happens, community resentment builds and the world gets more dangerous for both civilians and police officers.

Here's another example where a 19-month old baby was maimed by a flash-bang grenade thrown into his crib while police served a no-knock warrant. The family faced a $1M medical bill as a result:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...settles-1million-just-cover-medical-care.html

Whether or not you consider the police's action justified in either case, the fact is that the kind of power (and equipment) we give to even the average cop can do a lot of damage. So we better train the police to show restraint.

No, the police officers may not be Jason Bourne level operatives, but I think that people who think they can't do better than those Miami cops are seriously underestimating the intelligence and capability of the average police officer. It's almost insulting, actually.

15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I'm just wondering if you had a response. I like having a debate with another person.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cops have their BS story straight now. Officer's name still not provided.

Miami shooting: Police accidentally shot man, says union
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/us/miami-officer-involved-shooting/index.html

The police shooting of an African-American caregiver, who was lying in the street trying to help an autism patient, was accidental, according to the local police union representing the North Miami officer.

The officer had intended to shoot the patient, whom he thought posed a danger, but accidentally shot the caregiver instead, said John Rivera, the President of the Dade County Police Benevolent Association.

Charles Kinsey, a behavior therapist, was shot Monday by police -- an incident which has sparked outrage. Footage released by Kinsey's attorney showed his client lying on the ground holding both hands in the air, next to a 23-year-old man with autism.

Rivera offered an explanation Thursday, saying that the police officer opened fire because he thought the white individual, whom they later learned is a man with autism, was going to harm Kinsey.

"This wasn't a mistake in the sense that the officer shot the wrong guy or he thought that Kinsey was the bad guy," he said in a press conference Thursday.

"The movement of the white individual made it look like he was going to discharge a fire arm into Mr. Kinsey and the officer discharged trying to strike and stop the white man and unfortunately, he missed the white male and shot Mr. Kinsey by accident."

Rivera said that the video footage of the incident was "being portrayed poorly."

Kinsey is hospitalized with a gunshot wound to his right leg after two or three shots were fired, according to his attorney.

"Mr. Kinsey did everything right, let's be real clear about that," Rivera said. He said that the police officer involved in the shooting "wishes nothing but the best for Mr. Kinsey and the officer is praying for his speedy recovery as are we."

Kinsey told CNN affiliate WSVN that after the shooting, he was flipped over and handcuffed. A video released by the attorney showed Kinsey lying in the road, on his stomach and handcuffed. Both men were seen flat on the ground with two officers standing near them. According to his attorney Hilton Napoleon II, Kinsey was on the ground for 20 minutes before an ambulance arrived.

North Miami police said the officer opened fire after attempting to negotiate. Kinsey and his attorney said that the police explanation doesn't add up. State authorities said they're investigating the incident.

The unidentified officer has been placed on administrative leave and he issued a statement in form of a text message, which was read aloud to the media by Rivera.

"I took this job to save lives and help people," according to the officer's text statement. "I did what I had to do in a split-second to accomplish that, and hate to hear others paint me as something I'm not."

A 911 call about an armed man threatening suicide drew officers to the scene just after 5 p.m. Monday, North Miami police Chief Gary Eugene told reporters.

"Our officers responded to the scene with that threat in mind. We had witness statements that there was a gun. We had a 911 call with that same information," Eugene said Thursday. "However, I want to make it clear, there was no gun recovered."

Kinsey told WSVN that his patient was holding a toy truck, not a firearm. He said he tried to explain the situation to officers.

Cell phone footage showed Kinsey lying in the street with his hands in the air.

"All he has is a toy truck," he shouted. "I am a behavior therapist at a group home."

Rivera, the president of the local police union, said that the officers had not heard what Kinsey was yelling.

17. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Union... Stop protecting your failures

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Many cops are not just not skilled at shooting guns. Plenty of stories out there where cops shot at and miss their target pretty badly, at times striking bystanders. This is another reason why police (and every other gun owner) need to be trained with showing restraint with their firearm.

It also should make one question the overall cost-benefit of the whole "good guy with a gun" scenario used to justify expanded gun rights like open carry on school campus. While they may come in handy in some situations, overall widespread gun ownership in a lot of these scenarios is gonna end up doing more harm than good. If a police officer could freak out over a toy truck and end up shooting at the patient while striking the caretaker. Some of random "good guys with guns" are gonna have an even higher probability of screwing up in a similar situation.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

It looked like the white man trying to discharge a fire arm into his therapist?? WOW...they couldn't come up with anything better.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, they're pleading incompetence. I guess that's not the worst excuse, but let's say it is 100% the reason, then that one officer should be fired. No other officer assessed the autism guy with the toy truck as an immediate danger. And he's a terrible shot, so, yeah....fired. He was wrong and he sucked at shooting, and that's if the evidence points to that one cop being 100% honest with his reasoning.