1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops gonna Cop] Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You're not even a funny troll. Like TJ and bigtexx have at least given me a good chuckle every now and again but you're just awful at posting.

1 person likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not one to come to conclusions until we know all the facts. But, I'm really interested to hear from the cops because it looks like they really screwed up. I'd really like to hear the cops excuse, because it looked like the black guy did everything possible to prevent a shooting.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

I feel bad for Rocketslegend and we/I should stop making fun of him. The guy clearly is dumb as rocks but that isn't his fault. It must be difficult to go about his day being that stupid and it isn't fair that we treat him this way online. We should do our best to make him feel like his opinions matter and that they aren't completely and utterly stupid opinions/views.

I support and agree on all your posts Rocketslegend. Please keep on posting as I cherish and respect your views/opinions.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Now why would you go and insult rocks like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe excessive paranoia, maybe an accidental discharge. What really strikes me about this incident is that this black man laid down on his back with his hands in the air while lying down to make sure there was no suggestion at all that he might be a threat. He knew every thing he had to do to prostrate himself before police to make sure he was not shot. I wouldn't know to do those things in that situation. And, I still would not have been shot.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

According to the article he fired three times so I doubt they can claim it's an accident. It's possible he was firing at the autistic guy and just has terrible aim which doesn't really make it any better.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And we've entered a crazy time, right? When I was a kid, and I include all my non-white little friends in this too, you'd have to do everything possible to GET shot by a cop. Now, we're all petrified of them and trying to do "everything possible to prevent a shooting" each time we interact with police.

At some level, they are public servants, and this is just completely crazy. It's the feeling of a police state.

Lots of good and nice cops, but I do think they need wholesale different kind of training. A lot of times, it's not their fault, if they don't know how to deal with, say, a mental patient. Maybe too much time on the shooting range and not enough time in the classroom / case studies / etc. I dunno.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Too many incompetent cops in this country.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Just the facts version: So basically the cops are told theres a man with a gun in the street threatening suicide - they respond with guns drawn (because people with guns threatening suicide can easily turn the gun on others). The caretaker does the right thing. The cops see the other guy not responding (they don't know he's autistic yet). The autistic guy makes some kind of move and the cops fire three times at him (and luckily miss). A stray bullet hits the caretaker's leg.

The caretaker is currently negotiating a settlement with the city.

I think the officers were a little jumpy in this situation, but it doesn't warrant attempted murder by any means - but its really easy for us to play Monday -morning quarterback with more facts than the cops had.

I agree with amaru on this - negligent discharge of a firearm - officers should be punished and fired.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

We wouldn't need so many cops if this country wasn't full of drugs and crimes.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That fishy smell is your brain rotting from within your skull.

12. JuanValdez

Why do respond to the irrelevant part of my post? Maybe just a convenient handle, but I wasn't opining on why the cop fired.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Link? This would make a lot more sense out of it.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Police in the US a lot of times seem to be hyperactive, loud mouthed, scared ****less and paranoid resulting in very trigger happy boys with guns shooting innocent people. Why didn't they just listen to the man and move closer? He clearly says the boy is autistic and by the look of him, he was in no way at all a threat. Can you imagine if they had hit the autistic man or even killed him? People are tired of the excuses and it's time that these police offers get served and everything is made public.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The caretaker is recorded on video saying loudly that the autistic guy does not have a gun and only has a toy truck. Did the police just not believe him?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So trigger happy. Maybe the call of a guy with a gun get some cops all tensed up.

I think we need drones... to first assess any situation before cops arrive. 1st true look of the situation if you will. For safety of cops as well.

17. JuanValdez

They figured it was a conspiracy of cop killers?

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do you think part of the problem is societal? I mean, in so many of these cases, the cops have gotten an alarmist call with incorrect information.

In this case, basically Lenny from Of Mice and Men in playing with a toy in the street, but some paranoid, fear-consumed neighbor thinks he's playing with a gun (while sitting in the middle of the street, I guess?) and calls the cops.

So glad nobody lost their life.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Two plausible explanations: the cops on the scene, watching the guy, erroneously thought he was holding a gun, or the cops didn't know wtf he was holding.

Can these idiots just use binoculars or something???? wtf Add binoculars to the inventory; a lot cheaper than drones.

20. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

inb4 RocketsLegend justifies this by saying that after what happened in france, the cops couldn't take a chance with that toy truck he was holding. Was he isis? Were his hands up OR was he really praying to allah? We need more facts. We're being manipulated by the media. This is why Trump has to win, guys!