1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coolest Helmets in History (Luv Ya Blue!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Jun 6, 2008.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...olest-Helmets-in-Pro-Football-H?urn=nfl,86651

4th Coolest Helmet in History: Houston Oilers, '75 - '80

By MJD

Imagine someone came to you and asked you to come up with a visual representation of a man employed by the oil industry as a team's mascot. How would you go about that?

I'd have been lost. My first inkling would've been to go with a portrait of J.R. Ewing on the side of the helmet, but that says "Dallas," and I don't think the residents of Houston would appreciate that much. Alternately, you could go with a picture of Harry Stamper or Daniel Plainview, except they didn't exist at the time, and I don't think the NFL is ready for such an anachronism.

You could paint the helmet a high-gloss jet black, making it look like it's actually covered in oil. Better yet, take the field with helmets that actually are covered in oil, and even if you don't win, at the very least, you're going to leave the other team with laundry stains that they won't be able to get out. But you'd end up regretting that in 2008, with crude oil prices being what they are. At a certain point, it's no longer cost-effective to habitually stain Peyton Manning's jerseys.

So what do you do? Here's what you do: You slap a baby blue oil derrick on there, and you create one of the most unique and stylish helmets the world has ever seen. It was a stroke of genius for whoever came up with it. It's simple, yet easily recognizable as a team's trademark. And it was the perfect color for Warren Moon to be smoothly slinging footballs around in.

And I think the Oilers' top-five ranking here is also helped by the fact that the helmet that replaced it is so effective at making you long for the old ones. Shortly after the Oilers moved to Tennessee, they became the Titans and started wearing these jobs, which were in absolutely no danger of cracking the Shutdown Eleven.

---

Don't agree with all of them...but they put the Oilers at number 4, so that's good enough for me! Agree with the Steelers at number 1.

2. Fatty FatBastard

I purchased an authentic Oiler Helmet back in 95, and my son's name is Derrick.

Sadly, my belongings were stolen when I put them into storage, and my son's been in Tennessee nearly as long as the team.

I live a soap opera, and I've no idea how to change that, other than being lame.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Here we see Fatty directly relating to the thread. A nice, personable, on-point comment.

Slightly less relevant, a lot more personal, and a big downer... which brings us to...

The fantastic conclusion... now completely off-topic, another cry for help with self denigrating humor...

Holy hell, I love you Fatty.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What about the Michigan and Raider helmet?

Love those Oiler helmets...

where's my lorenzo white jersey?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

[​IMG]

LOVE YA BLUE BABY !!

DD

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

That's a neat article, but I don't get some of his selections at all. Steelers at #1 is a great choice though. I think Michigan, the Raiders, the Bears, and the 49ers deserve some consideration. It's tough though, because there are so many great helmets worn by teams with great traditions. It's a cool thing to think about.

7. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

I'm a Bears fan - ever since the Oilers deserted us, but the 1) Texans helmet has got to be one of the coolest, if not the coolest helmet I've seen.

2) Cowgirls (as much as I hate them - it's still a classy traditional design)
    3) Rams (makes no since now that they are in St. Louis, but cool nevertheless)
    4) Redskins (colors are awesome)
    5) Vikes
    6) Chargers
    7) Dolphins
    8) Tampa (new of course)

just a few of my favorites (not including college)

worst

1) "old" Pats
    2) Browns
    3) Bengals (when it said "Bengals" on the helmet)
    4) "old" Tampa
    5) Colts

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can't believe that the Chiefs' helmet is not on that list. I'd say it is #1 and every bit as unchanging as the Colts and Packers-- well maybe not as old.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is blashemy, but I like the bills helmets from the late eighties/early nineties.

the whole michigan football uniform to me are the most badass in all of sports

edit: no love for the simplicity of notre dame, I also like when they come out in the blue jerseys and gold paints.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I like the ones that look like they are moving real fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best college helmet:

[​IMG]

#10 Dubious, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

good choices, now that I think about it, the writer's choices suck (except of course the oil derricks)

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Worst:

[​IMG]

Is your head flying?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

fav nfl:
    [​IMG]

fav cfl:
    [​IMG]

fav ncaa:
    [​IMG]

14. mulletman

mulletman Member

all oilers related threads are depressing :(

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think it might be time to turn your life around son.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

these are my favorites..... :) :p

[​IMG]

For simplicity and tradition I like the Chicago Bears look over the Steelers, but the Steelers is more unique and fitting.

The Texans helmet and unis are very nice. If they had more initial success their look would be more popular with people I think.

17. junglerules

junglerules Member

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone remember back in the day when the 49ers tried to go to a new helmet that looked liked it had "49ers" written in a big white font on it? I think the fans almost revolted and it never went down....Anyone?

Here is a link to it on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_49ers

"Also in 1991, the 49ers announced a prototype for a new logo and helmet design. Instead of the traditional "SF" oval, this new logo featured a stylized "49ers" in white with black and red shadows. However, fan reaction was so overwhelmingly negative that the idea was scrapped the next day.[3]"

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Horns' helmets are still freaking classic. Nice, clean and traditional.

[​IMG]

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't remember that, but looking at the picture I can see why fans revolted. That's just awful.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

the best color combination in ALL OF SPORTS goes to.....

[​IMG]